What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Suggestion - Boss Mode Icon

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Suggestion - Boss Mode Icon
Author: Message:
oneil

I am Canadian, therefore I think.

– / Male / –
O.P. Suggestion - Boss Mode Icon
I have a suggestion regarding the Boss Mode tray icon. Would it be possible for MsgPlus to have an icon included (even the hard-drive one would work) but also have another version of said icon with an exclamation mark for when a message is received.

This simple change would allow the user to see if he/she has received any new messages since entering boss mode. Here's an example of a possible new icon:

[Image: newicon2en.jpg]
11-02-2005 02:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: Suggestion - Boss Mode Icon
Even though I don't use boss mode.... It sounds like a great idea.... I'm pretty sure Patchou could do it... I don't think somebody could make a plug-in to do this... But it would be useful to anybody who uses boss protection mode.

The only downfall would be that not everybody uses that same icon.... So what Patchou would probably have to do is have an icon for when there are no new messages... and have you pick an icon for when there are.

Just thought I'd give my 5 cents worth ;)
11-02-2005 02:16 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
oneil

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Suggestion - Boss Mode Icon
Is there a way to apply an image over a tray icon? Seems overly complicated for norhing but msg+ could simple overlap the little ! icon over what icon the user chose to use?
11-02-2005 02:41 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
The only downfall would be that not everybody uses that same icon.... So what Patchou would probably have to do is have an icon for when there are no new messages... and have you pick an icon for when there are.
Not a downfall at all... the exclamation mark (to take oneil's example) can be a small overlay icon, just like the small shortcut arrow icon in Windows.

I must say I like this idea very much... original, small, not bloated, etc... maybe even usefull :P ... (Y)(Y)

-------
EDIT 1:

lol, oneil just said (while I was typing) what I said ;)
quote:
Originally posted by oneil
Is there a way to apply an image over a tray icon? Seems overly complicated for norhing but msg+ could simple overlap the little ! icon over what icon the user chose to use?
indeed it can and this should be the way... or another possebility is that the user need to choose two icons, one for no msgs and one for msgs (also easier to implement though).

thus what qgroessl has said but differently, because in that case Plus! would simply link to 2 default icons instead of one as it is now, and both can be choosen (it would be stupid for Plus! to have only 1 default icon and the other one blank; if such thing is implemented, it will have 2 default icons of course).

-------
EDIT 2:

Unless of course, if the second icon (the one indicating that there are msgs) is blank it means the feature is "disabled" so to speak. This could be by default. Thus in that case, Plus! would indeed have only 1 default icon; the other one would be blank by default...

-------
EDIT 3:

lol, I can't seem to stop :P

When thinking about it, the "two icon" implementation would be best IMHO (thus not the "overlay" kind of implementation). This because:
1) Easier to implement (Plus! doesn't need to grab the first icon and overlay the second icon to make the final icon; it simply need to show the second one)
2) More available icons (there aren't many good small icons to be used for an overlay)
3) You can simulate the overlay by making your own two almost identical icons using your favorite overlay.

-------

;)
Anyhow, it would be a cool small feature, no matter how it would be implemented...

This post was edited on 11-02-2005 at 02:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-02-2005 02:42 PM
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
definately a feature that would be used, excellent idea
11-02-2005 03:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
oneil

– / Male / –
Any idea if this is being considered and if so, when it could/would be implemented?

:)
11-03-2005 03:35 PM
cardshark

Insanity at its Finest

40 / Male / –
That's all up to Patchou. It depends on if he really feels it can be useful and can be done, and the when depends on when he has enough time to try to impliment it. Still a good idea though. (y)
11-03-2005 04:26 PM
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
Maybe the whole boss feature would be removed, almost anybody uses it (i think) and when you need it companies and schools block MSN so you can't use it, that's why there are a lot of web based messengers.

But anyway, just my opinion, very very good idea (Y)

This post was edited on 11-03-2005 at 04:36 PM by YottabyteWizard.
11-03-2005 04:35 PM
oneil

– / Male / –
Is Patchou the only coder for MsgPlus?
11-03-2005 05:22 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
Maybe the whole boss feature would be removed, almost anybody uses it (i think) and when you need it companies and schools block MSN so you can't use it, that's why there are a lot of web based messengers.

But anyway, just my opinion, very very good idea (Y)

i use it all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by oneil
Is Patchou the only coder for MsgPlus?

Yes.
11-03-2005 05:24 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend