What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Paris Riots

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Paris Riots
Author: Message:
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Paris Riots
The Paris riots, they are quite scary. I have to admit, it all started because of a misunderstanding between French Police and French Muslims (which is my understanding) but imo represents an underlying social problem.

Do you think these riots could spread around the world and are we on the road to recedevism?
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
11-06-2005 06:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

RE: Paris Riots
i sure hope not. if there's one target city which is guaranteed to get trashed because of that, it's brussels. RIGHT where I live.
and that would suck, now wouldn't it?

also, does anyone have a clear explanation of the reason why it all started? i'm not sure, but i think that what sarkozy said ("scum") has started all of this.
11-06-2005 07:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Paris Riots
10 kids were playing football, when police officers arrived to do Immigration-ID Checks, the youths ran away, because otherwise they would spend hours in a police station. They went to hide in a electrical transformer place or something (something with electricity) and three of them got electrecuted and two died, the third apparantly got amnesia and can't remember the incident at all.

That is the direct cause, but I think it was just the straw that broke the camels back to a much larger social problem which all western countries face
Est. 1989
11-06-2005 07:25 PM
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
this is dodgy, I havent followed it closely, but its been going on for more than a week now hasnt it? like 10 days or something like that
11-06-2005 08:48 PM
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
The guys that died electrocuted weren't chased by the police, they just THOUGHT they were.

I live in Paris and I (and I think I'm not the only one to) don't fear or anything, until they put my car on fire of course :p (but I don't have a car so...). We don't even really bother actually. Even if the news is soo spectacular.
Winter is coming, in a day or two it'll be as if nothing has happened (except the numerous burned schools and other casualties, woohoo...).
I'm not denying that there is a problem with the french policy concerning social integration, but I've lived long enough in "hot districts" to be quite sure that the vast majority of the rioters are doing this for fun (yeah, i mean it, for fun) and pride more than for revendicating anything (except their stupidity).

Anyway, let's just slay 'em all.

Edit : yeah, last night was the #10 I think... 1300 cars burned in one night, last record :)
BTW, the riots are (supposed to) taking place in the suburbs more than in Paris itself. But that may not be true for the other french cities.

This post was edited on 11-06-2005 at 11:58 PM by Apatik.
[Image: rdmazu.php]
11-06-2005 11:53 PM
emit
Disabled Account

They're just like any other racial riot really (not that racial riots should be the norm). In this country: Leeds, Birmingham have both experienced them. Crimes against property are wholly different to crimes against persons; if the riots in Paris turn into groups of people looking to kill Muslims or so then it would become a serious issue. Even so, 1300 cars in one night? Where the fuck were the French police? They need stopping, as this will just fuel the racial tensions that exist not only in Paris but in any ethnically diverse city.
11-07-2005 10:38 AM
Mentality

The Best Representation OF me IS ME!

38 / Male / Flag
Oh Dear!!! Seriously Scary Stuff!!!

This post was edited on 11-07-2005 at 10:58 AM by Mentality.
11-07-2005 10:57 AM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
Last night there were also problems (the police doesn't want to talk about riots yet) in Brussels (5 cars were burned) and in Antwerp.

In Paris 34 police officers were injured, 1408 cars were burned and 395 people got arrested. And that's only one night. In total there are about 5000 cars burned and 1200 people got arrested in 11 days.
11-07-2005 11:52 AM
Juvani_D

Yes, maybe it has somthin to do with kisunderstanding among involved parties but thre's also underlying social problem that contributed on this event.
11-07-2005 11:57 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Paris Riots
quote:
Originally posted by Time
They're just like any other racial riot really (not that racial riots should be the norm). In this country: Leeds, Birmingham have both experienced them. Crimes against property are wholly different to crimes against persons; if the riots in Paris turn into groups of people looking to kill Muslims or so then it would become a serious issue. Even so, 1300 cars in one night? Where the fuck were the French police? They need stopping, as this will just fuel the racial tensions that exist not only in Paris but in any ethnically diverse city.

The thing is, most race riots don't last so long, and most race riots don't spread accross the country
Est. 1989
11-07-2005 08:36 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: