What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Angry User Plagued with Advertisements

Angry User Plagued with Advertisements
Author: Message:
john harrison

O.P. Angry User Plagued with Advertisements
I installed messenger plus 3+ specifically requesting that ad ware not be installed

Not only did I get a new taskbar in explorer, a new toobar keeps popping up at the bottom of my computer task bar and adds for registry cleaner and a whole bunch of other things just pop up everywhere even after i have completely removed messenger plus.

How do I get rid of you??

How do I ever trust you again?

John Harrison

11-07-2005 11:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Angry User Plagued with Advertisements
Hello John,
It depends if you said yes or no to sponsor, i advise you download Microsoft Antispyware Beta and Avast Antivirus which you can find by searching in google, and it will find and delete the problems that you are having, let me assure you the Msg + Program is not involved with Spyware or any other harmful items.

Download a popup blocker or an antivirus that includes poup blockers like Foxie, which comes in very handy and i have it myself, or use Microsoft Antispyware and do a Spyware search and remove spyware

Or use an online Scanner likes housecall.

This post was edited on 11-07-2005 at 11:56 AM by Eddie.
...there used to be a signature here :)
11-07-2005 11:52 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Sorry, just saying that Microsoft Antispyware does find and gives you the ability to remove the toolbar in Internet Explorer, or just do what Calvin says, you can do either.

This post was edited on 11-07-2005 at 12:15 PM by Eddie.
...there used to be a signature here :)
11-07-2005 12:14 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DevilFX
Sorry, just saying that Microsoft Antispyware does find and gives you the ability to remove the toolbar in Internet Explorer, or just do what Calvin says, you can do either.
No you can't do either. Antispyware programs cripple the sponsor and don't fully remove it. The only way to fully remove it is by using the Uninstaller for Messenger Plus! and selecting to uninstall the sponsor only. Please read the thread that calvin posted it explains that.

Also john harrison, it is impossible for the sponsor to still be installed even if you said no to it. So either you accidently said yes or you had spyware on your computer from before.
11-07-2005 12:54 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DevilFX
Microsoft Antispyware

I'm still strongly against them... I'd suggest Spybot Search & Destroy if anything... but! Go with what Matty and Calvin said.
11-07-2005 01:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
john harrison

O.P. RE: Angry User Plagued with Advertisements
I have found out what went wrong and appear to have fixed it.

It appears as though I did accidently install all the ad ware. When I went to uninstall it what probably happened is that the secret graphic number that has to be typed in was obscured by other windows. It did not pop up and over these other windows. Another window then popped up that had not waited for the graphic to be typed in saying that unistall was complete and a reboot was required.

I then rebooted having never typed in the graphic number. From then on in installshield thought I had uninstalled the ad ware stuff and did not give me the option to try again.

This is a simple bug and needs fixing. I am a busy person and regret the hour or so wasted on repair of my systems

John Harrison

11-07-2005 10:43 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I'm sorry you experienced this problem. You are right, Plus! should make sure the code has been entered properly in the uninstaller. This problem will be fixed in the next version.
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-08-2005 03:35 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: