What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Hot keys for special symbols?

Hot keys for special symbols?
Author: Message:
Luthion

– / Male / –
O.P. Hot keys for special symbols?
I've been searching the whole day (feels like it) for a program that can make hot keys to paste special symbols. There's no problem with symbols that have an alt + #### combo, but for those without it (like √,∞,∫,≈,∙ ) no program will paste them. Every single program I've tried returns a '?' or just a normal letter instead of the character. However, when I copy it from the character map (or whatever it's called) the symbol is pasted correctly. This is just a rather clumsy way to do it so I'm looking for a program that can insert the symbols when a hot key is pressed or even better, replace a string of text with the symbol (for example replace "sqrt" with √ ) as I type.
Mainly I need this for MSN, but preferably with other programs too.

EDIT: Well, the special symbols got replaced, but I hope you get the point. The symbols is supposed to be:
√ - Square root
∞ - infinity
∫ - integral
≈ - almost equal to
∙ - multiplied with (a dot in the middle)

This post was edited on 11-08-2005 at 10:14 PM by Luthion.
11-08-2005 10:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ibisdevil2

34 / Male / –
RE: Hot keys for special symbols?
To create your own keyboard shortcuts in Word, you must first click Customize from the Tools menu. You should see a button called Keyboards at the bottom of the dialog box. Click this button to bring up the Customize Keyboard dialog box.

and maby someone who can make plugins may help you if you aks nicly and see if they could make such a plugin.

anothr edit i just found this this may help http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/basic_roll_your_own.html

This post was edited on 11-08-2005 at 10:09 PM by ibisdevil2.
11-08-2005 10:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Luthion

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Hot keys for special symbols?
I can't seem to find the symbols there... :s
11-08-2005 10:13 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
type the codes into microsfot word. then copy what you have written the copy it to where you want it to go. if you want to put it in ur username or type it into a conversation, it will appear as a square but when you press enter it will show up normally
11-08-2005 10:15 PM
Luthion

– / Male / –
The problem isn't to get the symbols to the MSN convo, it's to do it in a easier way than c&p...
11-08-2005 10:19 PM
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
There's a few ways you should be able to do this:
You could make a custom emoticon for each one and have :inf: produce the infinity sign.
Or
You could use Plus' word filter to replace :inf: with the symbol (haven't tested this myself, but it should work)
11-08-2005 11:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Luthion

– / Male / –
Ok, I figured this out now so I thought I'd share in case somebody has the same problem: The word replacement in MsgPlus is capable of replaceing them. The answer is allways closer to you than you might think... :$
11-09-2005 05:28 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: