What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Crazy Switch

Crazy Switch
Author: Message:
zaher1988

Inseperable

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. Crazy Switch
ok hey !!

few weeks ago my 16 port linksys switch statred to go crazy, when ever i move it, turn it up down, elevate it with hand, it will all light on !!ll the leds will turn on, i will be disconnected from my network!! i mean as it appears on the pc, and then in few seconds the switch goes baack normal

so i have contacted linksys support with the same things i mentioned above and they replied this way

quote:
Dear Valued Linksys Customer,

Thank you for contacting Linksys Technical Support.

Normally the problem occurs due to an improper cable or a bad port. Try the following tests on how to determine which if it’s a connection problem or the switch is malfunctioning:

Testing for a bad port
Connect the computer in question and plug it into a different port on your network device that is known to be good and working (Another device is plugged into and working). For example if you have a PC plugged into port number 2 and it works, and the computer in question is in port number 3, then switch the two. If you still do not get a Link LED on the known good port, and the other port works with the other computer then you will need to test for a bad cable. If you are using the Uplink port, and it does not have a switch near it that changes it from X to II and vice versa, this means that the port next to the uplink port is a shared port. Basically, if you have another device plugged into the uplink port, then the port next to it will not be usable.

Testing for a bad cable
To properly test for a bad cable it's best to use a known good working cable from another computer and switch it with the one that is suspected to be defective. If the known working cable works with the computer that wasn't working and the other computer that you switched the cable with is not working now then it is likely that you have a bad cable.

Another test to verify if you have a bad cable is to plug one end of the cable into a good working port and the other end in the uplink port. If you use a good working cable then you should get a link light on both of those ports. Then use the cable in question and do the exact same test and see if you get the same indicator lights. Please be sure that you are not using any shared ports as noted above. If both these tests verify that you have a good cable then you may have a defective network card or the card may not be functioning properly.

Visit Linksys Knowledge Base at www.linksys.com/kb for more information regarding Linksys switch.

If you have any further questions, feel free to send us an e-mail at support@linksys.com so that we can further assist you.

is that true what they are saying ? why to test cables etc./.. ?

thx in advance
11-13-2005 09:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Crazy Switch
It's worth checking all your cables and sockets, just in case. Also, upgrade the switch's firmware from the Linksys website.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
11-14-2005 03:49 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
zaher1988

Inseperable

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Crazy Switch
hey

well look there is no firmware for my prodcut

have a look

thx
11-14-2005 04:54 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
That must mean there's no firmware on the switch itself. Still, it's worth checking all the ports and stuff.
11-14-2005 11:48 PM
zaher1988

Inseperable

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Crazy Switch
ummm heheh :$ i forgot to mention that :S !! a day before that thing happen ! there was a huge storm, and i lost 2 network adapters, and 4 ports of the hub were damaged, (not working) but still i have other 12 working

the hubs works perfectly, but only get crazy when u move it

manythx ;) peeeep :D
11-15-2005 07:54 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
It was probably the power surge that damaged something inside, and that's loosened a connection or something that only shows up when you move it, moving the connection.
11-15-2005 03:30 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: