What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Change message limit

Change message limit
Author: Message:
eSouL

O.P. Change message limit
Hi,

In regular MSN, the character limit per message is 400. With MsgPlus, it can be set to 1100. With StuffPlug, it can go up to 5000!

My questions are:

1. From what I observe the 400-limit don't seem to be a protocol thingy, or rather, there is no stringent check at the MSN servers because the other contact can receive the 5000-characters messages without installing those plugins. How do I set my own characters limit? I'm programming a plugin in VB and it will need to send as many stuff at one go as possible.

2. I tried StuffPlug, setting the limit to 5000 and disabling MsgPlus' 1100 limit. Expectedly, normal text sends just fine and I can send up to 5000. However, if I send with a /xplugin command, the sResult portion will get truncated to 1100 characters, rendering my plugin unable to take advantage of the 5000-limit. Is there a way around this? Patchou, is it possible to remove the check?

Thanks!

This post was edited on 11-20-2005 at 02:23 PM by eSouL.
11-20-2005 02:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Change message limit
Patchou did have his own reasons not to go much higher then 1100. It wouldn't always work or something. Don't know the details, but make sure you know what it is, before you start making a plugin that doesn't send the whole text in some situations.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-20-2005 03:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Patchou did have his own reasons not to go much higher then 1100. It wouldn't always work or something. Don't know the details, but make sure you know what it is, before you start making a plugin that doesn't send the whole text in some situations.
You can use ActiveAccessibility to send the text directly to the textbox and send it this working around the 1100 char limit.

http://forums.msnfanatic.com/index.php?showtopic=11778

This post was edited on 11-20-2005 at 04:41 PM by matty.
11-20-2005 04:38 PM
eSouL

O.P. RE: Change message limit
Matty, if I use the method you suggested, does it mean I don't need to have SPNG installed in order to send, say, 5000 chars?
11-20-2005 07:17 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by eSouL
Matty, if I use the method you suggested, does it mean I don't need to have SPNG installed in order to send, say, 5000 chars?
I think you still would need to use SPNG to boost the char limit of the input box.
11-20-2005 08:22 PM
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
I think you also need to have SPNG to boost the limit...
Without being 100% sure, but what I think StuffPlug and MsgPlus! does is hooking, or memory patching the richedit/text control and changes it's text limit property to some more... In theory if you know how to do this, I think you could remove the text limit completly... Though this will give problems... I remember when StuffPlug had a limit on 10.000 chars, the messages this long would often not be recieved on the other end...
The reason why others don't need these limitations removed is because it's a limit in the text control (where you type your text), this means that it's only a "local" limit...¨
As mentioned before I don't know if this information is 100% accurate but I suspect it is something like this, maybe TB could give a good answer to us all? :)...
11-20-2005 08:41 PM
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
Keep in mind that there is a server-side limit, when you reach that limit you will boosted of the current conversation
11-20-2005 09:03 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
J-Thread

– / Male / –
RE: RE: Change message limit
quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
As mentioned before I don't know if this information is 100% accurate but I suspect it is something like this, maybe TB could give a good answer to us all? :)...

Just gave him a link to this thread(Y)
11-20-2005 09:19 PM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
Your contact doesn't need StuffPlug to read the bigger messages.
The reason why plugins can't send more than 1100 is because Plus! caps it... I suggest you start annoying Patchou about this rather than me.
[Image: theblasp.png]
11-20-2005 11:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: