What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Help: How to insert custom emoticons into conversation window

Help: How to insert custom emoticons into conversation window
Author: Message:
Londave

O.P. Help: How to insert custom emoticons into conversation window
I need your help to work on a plug-in.

Suppose... I have a gif image (custom emoticon) stored on hard drive: "C:\emoticon.gif". I need a function that will insert this image into the current conversation. Please give me a starting point for working on such function.

The conversation window of MSN Messenger has a DirectUIHWND class, which uses windowless RichEdit control. So I need an access to that control... Isn't it? But that control (RichEdit) does not have a handle...
How can I access it from my plug-in?

Maybe, MSN Messenger offers an interface for working with chat control (RichEdit) directly. Please, give me an idea where to proceed or what interface to use...

Please?

11-27-2005 11:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RooJ

RE: Help: How to insert custom emoticons into conversation window
Not that this is much help but im looking for the same type of thing, i need to know how to interact with the conversation window in order to save extra text there.

If i come up with anything ill be sure to let you know.

>RooJ
11-27-2005 02:51 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
If it is for personal use you can check out this post of mine: Matty's reply to Change message limit (Can only be used on Windows 2000/XP+)

Or you can check this out: Matty's reply to hWnd of IMWindowClass chat input box

Search feature for this board works wonders.
11-27-2005 03:46 PM
RooJ

Matty,
So am i right in thinking that there's no way to add text to the conversation window (where conversation history is), without using AA and some system wide hook? It doesnt seem possible to find the conversation window using something like enumchildwindows. Im guessing FindWindowEx wont find it either?

Thanks

>RooJ
11-27-2005 07:53 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
No you cannot directly add text to the History without sending it through the RichEdit control. There are Win32API calls you can use to add the gif file as a Custom Emoticon but it requires the contactlist window to be shown.
11-27-2005 08:14 PM
cardshark

Insanity at its Finest

40 / Male / –
Londave, are you wanting to just use a personal smilie in a standard conversation (ie like clicking an MSN emoticon to put it in the convo with text)? If so, all you have to do is to click on the smilie button (in a conversation window), go to more, click "Create" and follow the steps there. That will allow you to insert the smilie into the conversation and to be reused at a later date. As long as your contact also has MSN 7.0 or above (maybe even an earlier version) they should be able to see the smilie.

If I misunderstood the question, I apologize and you will probably be able to find your answer somewhere on the boards (if Matty hasn't already answered it in this thread).
11-28-2005 04:04 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by cardshark
Londave, are you wanting to just use a personal smilie in a standard conversation (ie like clicking an MSN emoticon to put it in the convo with text)? If so, all you have to do is to click on the smilie button (in a conversation window), go to more, click "Create" and follow the steps there. That will allow you to insert the smilie into the conversation and to be reused at a later date. As long as your contact also has MSN 7.0 or above (maybe even an earlier version) they should be able to see the smilie.

If I misunderstood the question, I apologize and you will probably be able to find your answer somewhere on the boards (if Matty hasn't already answered it in this thread).

Just so you know, the plugins forum is for coding a procedure not how to do it yourself.
11-28-2005 04:21 AM
Londave

O.P. RE: Help: How to insert custom emoticons into conversation window
It's a pity, but IAccessible interface does not allow inserting images, only text. So we need direct access to RichEdit control in the Conversation window. But it's wrapped by DirectUIHWND class and does not have a windows handle. It's a real headache...
:(

I guess that Patchou uses RichEdHook.dll to hook RichEdit control from the Conversation window. Can anybody suggest me how to work with that RichEdHook.dll and its functions?

I've found that RichEdHook.dll exports "ZInitHook" function and some RichEdit interfaces, like "ITextHost"....

Patchou, please, answer me how to work with your RichEdHook.dll and its functions. I know that many other developers of Messenger Plus plug-ins are interested in this information too!!?

Thank you.
11-29-2005 07:13 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: