What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Assistance needed on English class assignment

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Assistance needed on English class assignment
Author: Message:
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
O.P. Assistance needed on English class assignment
Hey guys (ladies inclusive :P)!

In my latest English assignment, I'm required to write a report about cross-cultural communication. That is I have to find people with different cultural backgrounds and get something from them. So, where's the best place to find such people? The Messenger Plus! forums where there are people from every part of world!

Now, you must be wondering what you can do to help me complete my assignment - that's easy ;) Here, I want you to reply my post with the following questions answered. If possible, please enclose your answers with [b]...[/b] myBB Code so that they are more distinguishable :)

It may take 5 - 20 minutes to complete the questions depending on how detailed your answers are.

Btw, you'll find that I've mainly focused on non-verbal aspects.

1. What is your gender?
  2. (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation?
  3. Where are you from (country and where in the country) ?
  4. What is/are your native language(s)?

5. When you are talking, how far away do you usually stand (or sit) from people? Please give your answers for
    1. family members
    2. intimate friends
    3. normal acquaintances
    4. strangers
    respectively.
  6. When you are talking, do you (consciously) touch the people you are talking to? If yes, how frequently? Please give your answers for
    1. family members
    2. intimate friends
    3. normal acquaintances
    4. strangers
    respectively.
  7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel?

8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator?
  9. In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator?

10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible.
  11. In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others?

12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc)

13. Give your ideas about the special meanings (if any) of the following hand/body gestures and facial expressions in your culture:
    1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle
    2. Crossing your fingers
    3. Shurgging your shoulders
    4. Winking

Please bear in mind that every post from you counts (both for your post counter and for my report :chrongue:) and I'm really appreciative of it :) Thanks for your information and time spent :)

This post was edited on 12-03-2005 at 07:32 AM by Mnjul.
12-03-2005 07:15 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment
   1. What is your gender? Male
   2. (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? 16, student/service assistant (aka Checkout chick :lol:)
   3. Where are you from (country and where in the country) ? Victoria(south east), Australia
   4. What is/are your native language(s)?English

5. When you are talking, how far away do you usually stand (or sit) from people? Please give your answers for

1. family members One metre
         2. intimate friends 1/2 metre
         3. normal acquaintances One metre
         4. strangers One metre
      respectively.
   6. When you are talking, do you (consciously) touch the people you are talking to? If yes, how frequently? Please give your answers for

1. family members No
         2. intimate friends Sometimes, depends what we are talking about
         3. normal acquaintances No
         4. strangers No
      respectively.
   7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel? uncomfortable or flattered, depending on who it is

8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator?No
   9. In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator? Yes

10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible. Always, when i start talking or they begin talking its more polite because you are showing you are insterested in the conversation and their response, however if you seem to be staring then that can get a bit uncomforatble
  11. In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others? Sure

12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc) Handshake

13. Give your ideas about the special meanings (if any) of the following hand/body gestures and facial expressions in your culture:

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle Well Done
         2. Crossing your fingers Good Luck
         3. Shurgging your shoulders I've got no idea how to respond to what you just said
         4. Winking Could mean that you've done something cheeky, or you have just made a joke, could also mean a number of other things, depending on the setting in which it's done

12-03-2005 07:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul

# What is your gender?
# (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation?
# Where are you from (country and where in the country) ?
# What is/are your native language(s)?

# When you are talking, how far away do you usually stand (or sit) from people? Please give your answers for

1. family members
   2. intimate friends
   3. normal acquaintances
   4. strangers

respectively.
# When you are talking, do you (consciously) touch the people you are talking to? If yes, how frequently? Please give your answers for

1. family members
   2. intimate friends
   3. normal acquaintances
   4. strangers

respectively.
# Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel?

# In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator?
# In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator?

# Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible.
# In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others?

# In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc)

# Give your ideas about the special meanings (if any) of the following hand/body gestures and facial expressions in your culture:

2. Crossing your fingers
   4. Winking

1) Male

2) Im 18 years old and im a student. Im currently doing my engineering in Information technology

3) Im an Indian and i basically come from the southern state of Kerla but ive been in Mumbai (Bombay) my whole life

4) My native language is Hindi which is India's national language. Besides that i also know some local languages (Marathi) and Sanskrit which as many of you may know is the base for various languages. Even tho i know these languages i have done my education in English and it is my lanuage of choice ;)

5) A) About about 2 feet.
    B) In the closest seat i can get. Sitting next to them or standing beside them :P
    C) Two and a half to three feet *-)
    D) Three to four feet. Well almost the same as the above case actually

6) No i dont (usually; in general ie).
    A) Every 2 - 5 mins
    B) Same as above
    C) Rarely
    D) Once in a blue moon (rarely^2 :P)

7) Erm it feels good to hold someone and hug them (your loved ones ... not random ppl on the road =P) i guess 8-)

8) We dont have many elevators in India but no (unless its someone you know in which case you'd be talking to them)

9) Nope. We just stand in the elevator. It may be only about 4 - 8 floors so who cares :P

10) Most definately. Looking into someones eyes reveals a lot. If its someone close to you then yup. If its an acquaintance then you may or maynot. Its more like on and off. You look at their faces then their eyes back and forth most of the time. And for someone stranger, well you just look at their faces and talk. You look into their eyes but not as much.

11) Yes they do. It brings about a feeling of togetherness ;)

12) Traditionally people greet each other by joining their hands and bowing (slightly) and saying "namaste" (for more you might consider googling it) But now a days, atleast for me, i havent done that in years cause i live in the biggest city in the country so we just greet each other by a "hi" (for friends and relatives) or a "good morning/afterrnoon/evening" (for everyone) and we tend to shake hands while greeting each other now and then (but thats only for your friends and relatives). But the most common way of greeting someone you know well (friend) is "hi/hey" and mabbe attaching a wave with it

13) A) Everything is perfect ;) Its pretty much like the :dodgyomar: (no wait  .... scrap that :P) Its almost never used btw
      B) Its like when you want something done and you say "im hoping that i get to do this" and your friends say "im keeping my fingers crossed"
It is also used for a small game that children play called "statue" Its like when ever you see your friend, he/she and you should have your fingers/ any other limb crossed. Else the other one can say "statue" and you have to stand like that till he releases you from that position .... silly games children play :P (*whistle* i used to play that *whistle*)
      C) It usually signals "I dont know" or "beats me"
      D) Its a dogdy way to hit on someone (winking at girls) (and is rarely used :P) or usually it is used to signal something to someone like you and your friend are planning to pull of a prank on another friend. So you can wink him to signal him to start the operation of the plan

I havent used bbcode cause i think the way i have written it, is pretty self explanatory. Feel free to remove the emotes and the comments in the brackets (Not all of them are comments btw :P)
I hope this helps you :) And i cant believe you have to write all this ... i have this in the next sem lol. I cant wait to get to the second year so i can have subjects only related to my field :P
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
12-03-2005 07:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
  2. (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? 17 / Student
  3. Where are you from (country and where in the country)? Finland, let's just say southwestern part as I doubt the actual name of the area would help you in any way.
  4. What is/are your native language(s)? Swedish and Finnish

1. family members Hmm, this depends on the situation. Sometimes I shout from my room, but more often it's closer than that, so let's say 1-2 meters.
    2. intimate friends Same situation here as on the last one, 1-2 meters.
    3. normal acquaintances Not quite as close, mabye 2-3 meters.
    4. strangers 2-3 meters.
    respectively.
    1. family members Never
    2. intimate friends Never
    3. normal acquaintances Never
    4. strangers Never
    respectively.
  7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel? Depends on the person, but it would be a "huh?"-feeling.

8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator? No, unless they know each ohter.
  9. In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator? Yes

10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible. Yes, at least I try. It's the same for everyone I talk to, sometimes I might look at something else for a second, but I always try to maintain eye contact.
  11. In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others? I would say so, yes.

12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc) Shake hands.

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle Not used at all
    2. Crossing your fingers When you have your fingers crossed behind your back it means you are telling a white lie. It means nothing else (no good luck, like in some ohter countries).
    3. Shurgging your shoulders That you don't know or are unsure.
    4. Winking Not really that much used, if used it usually means that you have done something clever, told a good joke or something.

I missed all three of my FileFront downloads thanks to this, just so you know how dedicated I was :P

This post was edited on 12-03-2005 at 09:08 AM by Vilkku.
[Image: signature.php]
12-03-2005 09:05 AM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
  2. (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? 17, I work in a delicatessen, Going to uni next year after finishing school this year
  3. Where are you from (country and where in the country)? Perth, Western Australia (metropolitan area of the state)
  4. What is/are your native language(s)? English (although some Australian slang is far from uncommon;))

1. family members 1-2 metres
    2. intimate friends 1-2 metres
    3. normal acquaintances 1-2 meters
    4. strangers 1-2 metres
    respectively.
    1. family members never
    2. intimate friends Very rarely
    3. normal acquaintances very rarely
    4. strangers Never
    respectively.
  7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel? It's uncommon that somebody would do this but they would most likely be a close friend and/or somebody I could trust. Therefore, I am not bothered by it

8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator? Not for an extended time, although a little nod or a quick hi is not uncommon (unless the person is known then yes)
  9. In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator? Generally, yes

10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Yes, Whether I know the person or not I try to keep a good level of eye contact (without staring). I heard somewhere that the person should have around 70% eye contact and that is a quite average amount for me I guess. Also I think guys would get a little less eye contact from me, I dont know why but I do that.
  11. In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others? Yes, I like to think that generally people in my 'culture' are quite confident and happy to make eye contact

12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? Handshake is it is a formal introduction (for an informal meeting can be a nod, or just verbal). It is generally accepted in Australia that the handshake should be firm (without squeezing) and hands should be as level as possible (when somebody is angling their hand down during a handshake it is usually an indication of power). For a formal meeting between a man and a woman, or two women, a cheek to cheek kiss (one) is also normal

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle Rarely used but an indication of 'good' or 'ok'
    2. Crossing your fingers [b]Hoping something will happen (for younger children it can also be used while telling a white lie)
    3. Shurgging your shoulders Unsure, also can accompany Can't be bothered on some occations
    4. Winking Can be a sign of a good job or can be used as a secret indicator between two people if they dont want a 3rd person to know about something. Also can represent a personal joke between two people

I completed it, even there have already been a few Australians, I tried to be as detailed as possible with the questions also :)

This post was edited on 12-03-2005 at 09:40 AM by haydos.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

12-03-2005 09:38 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
emit
Disabled Account

2. (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? 21, looking for a job, just finished university
  3. Where are you from (country and where in the country) ? Just outside (30 miles) London, UK
  4. What is/are your native language(s)? English

1. family members Few cms - half a metre
    2. intimate friends Few cms - half a metre
    3. normal acquaintances Half a metre - three quarters of a metre
    4. strangers A metre
    respectively.
    1. family members Rarely
    2. intimate friends Occasionally
    3. normal acquaintances Rarely
    4. strangers Never
    respectively.
  7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel? Depends who they are. Most likely "uncomfortable" or like one wants to flinch from the touch.

8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator? They try not to, apart from the first evaluative glance

10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible. Mostly, yes
  11. In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others? Not always, but a large cross section of people do

12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc) Shake hands

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle "Everything is fine/good"
    2. Crossing your fingers This is done for good luck, either for oneself or wishing good luck upon another
    3. Shurgging your shoulders "I don't know" or "I don't care"
    4. Winking A sort of secret, knowing non-verbal exchange or "good luck" again.

This post was edited on 12-03-2005 at 10:14 AM by emit.
12-03-2005 10:13 AM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
  1. What is your gender?
       Male

18, unemployed (student)

The Netherlands, east part (see world map)

Dutch

1. family members
         1-10 metres (varying by circumstance, e.g. when we're having dinner or when we're both doing different things at different parts of the living room)

2. intimate friends
         1-10 metres (the more intimate, the closer together :chrongue: - however, when you're very intimate friends you can also talk to eachother when there's quite a distance between you, e.g. you wouldn't go shouting to a stranger at the other side of the street as easily as you would go shouting to a friend at the other side of the street)

3. normal acquaintances
         approximately 1-5 metres (varying by circumstance)

4. strangers
         1-3 metres
         Note: the distance is to illustrate that it is more common that there is a big space between two family members than between two strangers. Of course, we are usually closer together than e.g. 10 metres.
    respectively.

1. family members
         Not or rarely

2. intimate friends
         Occasionally

3. normal acquaintances
         Not or rarely

4. strangers
         Not
    respectively.

7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel?
       Usually family members don't touch me. When they do (e.g. mother, sister) they're just playing around. Depending on how intimate friends are, they can touch eachother (e.g. lovers). Normal acquaintances touching me are in a good mood/playing around. Strangers touching me are weird :chrongue:

Sometimes - it's not impolite or something, you can smile to someone, but it's also not uncommon to just ignore others (don't look at them).

9. In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator?
       As a kind gesture, yes, but others will understand if you happen to touch them accidentally.

10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible.
       I look everyone in their eyes (intimate friends, strangers, ...) when I'm talking to them. When they're talking to me I've noticed I either look into their eyes or focus on their mouth.

11. In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others?
       Yes. Looking away/not looking at someone means the person is shy or embarassed.

12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc)
       When a stranger asks me the way we don't usually express non-verbal actions. When you'd meet someone like on a meeting you'd shake hands, but that's rather formal. When a mutual friend introduces you to a friend of him/her you'd either simply greet by waving your hand. Shaking hands would quickly be considered formal.

"I've taken care of everything/arrangements were made. You don't need to worry about it."

2. Crossing your fingers
         Hoping for the best, e.g. "good luck with your exams, I'll cross my fingers for you". It's also a lame thing to do when you do it behind your back and you're talking to someone, it then means you aren't serious.

"I don't know/care"

4. Winking
         To show that you're joking, not done to strangers/in formal encounters. Also to make eye-contact with someone.
quote:
Thanks for your information and time spent :)
No problem (Y)

This post was edited on 12-03-2005 at 01:46 PM by Tochjo.
12-03-2005 10:25 AM
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag

1. What is your gender? Male.
   2. (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? 16, student.
   3. Where are you from (country and where in the country) ? California, United States.
   4. What is/are your native language(s)? English.

1. family members Full arm's length.
         2. intimate friends Half/Full arm's length.
         3. normal acquaintances Full arm's length.
         4. strangers One/two arms' length.
      respectively.

1. family members Never.
         2. intimate friends Never.
         3. normal acquaintances Never.
         4. strangers Never.
      respectively.
   7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel? Awkward if I'm not a close friend of the person. If I've known them for a long while, it becomes better but it's still awkward.

8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator? Besides looking at them when they first enter, no.
   9. In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator? Yes.

10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible. If it's a serious situation, wandering eyes make it seem like you don't care. If it's just a casual conversation, I still do but don't stare.
  11. In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others? Yes.

12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc) Handshakes.

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle Okay, good, fine.
         2. Crossing your fingers Wishing luck towards someone, telling a lie
         3. Shurgging your shoulders Don't know, confused.
         4. Winking Joking, playing around

12-03-2005 10:30 AM
Aeryn

– / Female / –
  1. What is your gender?
    Female.
    21, university student.
    Estonia (Tallinn).
    Estonian.

1. family members
      0.6 - 2 metres or so.
    2. intimate friends
      0.6 - 2 metres again, although everything depends on the situation.
    3. normal acquaintances
      1 - 2 metres.
    4. strangers
      1.5 - 2 metres? Not sure.
    respectively.
    1. family members
      Usually not.
    2. intimate friends
      Usually not.
    3. normal acquaintances
      No.
    4. strangers
      No.
    respectively.
    Depends on who it is that I'm interacting with, so I might feel neutral or slightly uncomfortable.

No, not really. Maybe a quick, casual glance (especially when new person enters), but that's it. No staring.
    Quite hard, indeed.

Usually I do look people in the eyes, because it gives more information on what they mean, feel, and so on. I only don't look them in the eyes (or rather, don't maintain a constant eye contact) with people I feel uncomfortable speaking with (usually some very 'dominating' kinda lecturers, etc).
    This varies a lot from individual to individual of course. I'd say that mostly people do try to maintain eye contact, but they don't always succeed (mainly cuz they feel uncomfortable or something). But at the same time, if it's not possible to keep eye contact with the other person, it doesn't really hinder communication that much.

Exchanging handshakes (but the more informal the situation, the less the handshaking occurs), and maybe a slight nod of head. Usually no hugging, kissing or bowing.

Everything okay/well done. (It's very rarely used.)
    2. Crossing your fingers
      Hoping that something will go well, wishing luck.
      That you don't know or are unsure.
    4. Winking
      Used to indicate some sorta secret or something between two (or more) people, mostly used in a joking manner. Or sometimes a wink accompanies the person's assurance that everything will go well. In some occasions also to catch someone's attention.
12-03-2005 01:23 PM
t1a0s

33 / Male / Flag
   2. (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? 15, Student
   3. Where are you from (country and where in the country)? South Wales, UK
   4. What is/are your native language(s)? Welsh, English

1. family members: about a metre
         2. intimate friends about a metre, sometimes closer
         3. normal acquaintances: about a metre
         4. strangers: about 2 metres
      respectively.

1. family members: Sometimes
         2. intimate friends: Sometimes
         3. normal acquaintances: Sometimes
         4. strangers: No
      respectively.
      I think its a bit weird

8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator? Not really

I keep eye contact with my family and friends, but with others it feels kinda weird after a while
      AFAIK yeah

Handshake

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle - Everything is fine
         2. Crossing your fingers - Hope things go well
         3. Shurgging your shoulders - You don't know something
         4. Winking - A sign that someone is joking

Member since 7126 days, 11 hours, 18 minutes, 16 seconds ago.
12-03-2005 01:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: