What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Assistance needed on English class assignment

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Assistance needed on English class assignment
Author: Message:
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment
# What is your gender? Male
# (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? 13 dont work
# Where are you from (country and where in the country) ? United Kingdom, Neston
# What is/are your native language(s)? English, Bit of french, bit of spanish[/b]

# When you are talking, how far away do you usually stand (or sit) from people? Please give your answers for

1. family members about a metre
   2. intimate friends 1/2 metres or by phone
   3. normal acquaintances Depends were I am
   4. strangers Far away

respectively.
# When you are talking, do you (consciously) touch the people you are talking to? If yes, how frequently? Please give your answers for

1. family members If there upset
   2. intimate friends I dont
   3. normal acquaintances I dont
   4. strangers Only if it's a punch :P

respectively.
# Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel?
Depends how and where they touch me :P

# In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator? Dont go in elevators Sh** scared of em
# In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator? Dot go in elevators

# Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible.
If I'm In trouble then I usually do, To family Yes, strangers I dont , Friends always
# In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others? yes

# In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc) Handshake

# Give your ideas about the special meanings (if any) of the following hand/body gestures and facial expressions in your culture:

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle
   2. Crossing your fingers Good Luck
   3. Shurgging your shoulders Dunno
   4. Winking Non verbal way of saying "all right there" or "Pretend this..."

This post was edited on 12-03-2005 at 01:54 PM by Nathan.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

12-03-2005 01:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
azn angel

rawr

– / Female / –

1. What is your gender? female
  2. (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? student
  3. Where are you from (country and where in the country) ? Australia
  4. What is/are your native language(s)? English

5. When you are talking, how far away do you usually stand (or sit) from people? Please give your answers for
    1. family members metre
    2. intimate friends 1/2 metre
    3. normal acquaintances 1/2 - 2 metres
    4. strangers 2 metres
    respectively.
  6. When you are talking, do you (consciously) touch the people you are talking to? If yes, how frequently? Please give your answers for
    1. family members sometimes
    2. intimate friends sometimes
    3. normal acquaintances no
    4. strangers no
    respectively.
  7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel?
    i feel weird.. asif they are attracted to me (If the opposite sex)
  8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator? no idea tbh.. but i myself dont.
  9. In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator?
    they do not overly care but are considerate eg. if it crowded they will wait for the next elevator
  10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them?
    formally i do but when im in an a relaxed environment not so much
    Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible.
  11. In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others?
    no not really. only people who exercise good manners.
  12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc)
    male adults tend to shake hands some other tend to nod
  13. Give your ideas about the special meanings (if any) of the following hand/body gestures and facial expressions in your culture:
    1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle ok.. everything is alright
    2. Crossing your fingers goodluck
    3. Shurgging your shoulders dont know or dont want to talk to them
    4. Winking secret as though you shouldnt tell someone about the previous thing said.
TREKIE IS MY HOMEBOY <3
12-07-2005 04:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
   1. What is your gender? Male
   2. (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? 15,study
   3. Where are you from (country and where in the country) ? North Mexico
   4. What is/are your native language(s)? spanish, english

5. When you are talking, how far away do you usually stand (or sit) from people? Please give your answers for

1. family members    1 meter
         2. intimate friends    1 meter
         3. normal acquaintances 2 meters
         4. strangers 2 meters
      respectively.
   6. When you are talking, do you (consciously) touch the people you are talking to? If yes, how frequently? Please give your answers for

1. family members  infrequently
         2. intimate friends  infrequently
         3. normal acquaintances infrequently
         4. strangers infrequently
      respectively.
   7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel?
Weird
   8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator? Sometimes
   9. In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator?  not really, but yes

10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them?
Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible.
Yes , to everyone
  11. In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others?
yes
  12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc) Handshake, if opposite sex, kiss in cheek

13. Give your ideas about the special meanings (if any) of the following hand/body gestures and facial expressions in your culture:

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle
everything ok
         2. Crossing your fingers
good luck
         3. Shurgging your shoulders
i dont know (< thats the meaning)
         4. Winking
something good gonna happen or you will like it, or a secret, or a believe me thing
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
12-09-2005 01:58 AM
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
   2. (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation?18/Roam the web
   3. Where are you from (country and where in the country) ?North Mexico
   4. What is/are your native language(s)?Spanish - Latin

1. family members Meter
         2. intimate friends 1/4-1 meter
         3. normal acquaintances 1/2-2 meters
         4. strangers
      respectively.1+ meters

1. family members Almost never
         2. intimate friends Ofter
         3. normal acquaintances Rarely
         4. strangers
      respectively. Never
   7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel? Nothing in special

8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator? Sometimes
   9. In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator?No

10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible. Yeah
  11. In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others? Yeah

12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc) Handshaking

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle OK, perfect, fine, alright
         2. Crossing your fingers Lies
         3. Shurgging your shoulders Sad
         4. Winking Something special, for/to someone special
12-09-2005 02:16 AM
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
# (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? Age 16, Student
# Where are you from (country and where in the country) ? Born in Estonia, living in Florida at the moment
# What is/are your native language(s)? Estonian

# When you are talking, how far away do you usually stand (or sit) from people? Please give your answers for

1. family members <0.5m
   2. intimate friends - very close :wink:
   3. normal acquaintances - 1m
   4. strangers - 1m-1.5m

respectively.
# When you are talking, do you (consciously) touch the people you are talking to? If yes, how frequently? Please give your answers for

1. family members - not at all
   2. intimate friends - well, not toooo much
   3. normal acquaintances - not at all
   4. strangers - not at all

respectively.
# Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel?
A bit weird and back away a little
# In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator? Not really
# In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator? Yes

# Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible. - its 50/50 to people i know i do most of the times, people i dont know i dont so much.
# In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others? - Not really

# In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc) - Noding their head

# Give your ideas about the special meanings (if any) of the following hand/body gestures and facial expressions in your culture:

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle - Good
   2. Crossing your fingers - Hope
   3. Shurgging your shoulders - Not knowing
   4. Winking  - Hey sexy :P
[code]
quote:
You're still breathing? Why?
Get off the cross, the wood is needed.
[Image: userbar.jpg]

12-09-2005 03:18 AM
Curtis

31 / Male / Flag
# (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? 12/Help out at http://www.hub42.com
# Where are you from (country and where in the country?)  Bc, Canada
# What is/are your native language(s)?English/French

1. family members:Doesn't really matter...
   2. intimate friends:If by that you mean girlfriend, then right beside.
   3. normal acquaintances:About a foot...
   4. strangers:I don't talk to strangers.

respectively.

1. family members:No...
   2. intimate friends:Umm, I don't feel comfortable answering that :-#
   3. normal acquaintances:I don't touch them...
   4. strangers: Definately not.

respectively.
# Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel? I'm not answering this, sorry

# In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator?Yes
# In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator?No

# Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Sometimes with my friends, just a glance though.
Girlfriend, almost always.
Famliy, same as friends.
Strangers, I stay away from strangers.

# In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others?  Umm, sort of.

# In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc)  They like, wave and stuff.

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle.  It looks only like an "O" not an "OK

2. Crossing your fingers.  It means black magic, or w/e.  (It blocks cooties)
   3. Shrugging your shoulders.  Means they are stupid.
   4. Winking.  Means they like you;)
12-09-2005 03:31 AM
*Saint*

36 / Male / Flag
# (Optional) Your age and what do you do by occupation? 17 Student
# Where are you from (country and where in the country)? Canada, Montreal, Quebec
# What is/are your native language(s)? English

1. family members 1 Metre
   2. intimate friends 1 Metre
   3. normal acquaintances 1.5 Metres
   4. strangers 2-3 Metres

respectively.

1. family members No
   2. intimate friends Sometimes
   3. normal acquaintances No
   4. strangers No

respectively.
# Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel? Depends On How Well I Know Them

# In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator? No
# In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator? Yes

# Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible. Depends How I Feel, I Don't Find Looking Directly At Anyone
# In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others? Often

# In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc) Hand Shakes, Nodding

1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle Perfect/ Good Job
   2. Crossing your fingers Good Luck
   3. Shurgging your shoulders Confused or Don't Know
   4. Winking Keep It Between Us/Secret or Play Along/Watch This
12-09-2005 03:32 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –

2. Your age and what do you do by occupation? I am currently thirteen years of age, and I am still a student. However, I try to make some cash in freelance webdesign when it is needed.
  3. Where are you from? United States of America; Conroe, Texas
  4. What is/are your native language(s)? American English

1. family members [b]I dont really beleive it is possible to provide an accurate answer for this, as this is strongly influenced by the situation, but I am normally shouting to them from one room in my house to another. This would be approxamintly, 10-30 meters.
    2. intimate friends During school, I try to obtain the closest possible seat to an intimate friend. (Less then 1 meter) Out of school, I am normally within half a meters distance of the friend.
    3. normal acquaintances A meter or two, for the daily conversation.
    4. strangers Id like to say several meters away.
    respectively.
    1. Other then greetings and partings, never.
    2. Depending on the gender, often. I would say a rather large amount.
    3. Sometimes, not too often.
    4. Dependant on the situation, but I would have to say never.
    respectively.
  7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel? I dont really notice to be honest. At a football game a couple friends (female) rubbed me alot while talking to me to see if I would notice, and I didnt untill they told me.

8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator?
    It is common curtosy not to stare, so the average person will try to look at something else. However, I always find myself catching glances when people arent looking back.
  9. In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator?
    Not really. Of course each person will attempt to get as much personal space as possible, but if it is crowded and you are forced to touch somebody else, nobody really cares.
  10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible. I look into the eyes of others while I am talking to them, always. Unless its a chat in the kitchen with family or friends, while I am roaming around preparing food or such. Actually, Eye contact is made in situations with several people but when there are just two or three people eye contact isnt really made. (Unless its intimant)
    Yes, eye contact is made frequently to distinguish who you are talking too.
  12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc)
    It is common of elder people to shake hands, but around my age group, we hug. Any younger is rather shy.
    1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle You did something  perfectly. Its not really used to determing correct or good but perfect.
    2. Crossing your fingers Normally, to wish yourself luck but younger children use it as a method of avoiding promises. (Cross your fingers while you promise something and the promise doesnt count)
    3. Shurgging your shoulders Showing an absense of knowledge (I dont know). If somebody asks you a question, and you didnt know the answer, you would shrug.
    4. Winking A method of wishing good luck upon others, or of signalling something you do not wish others to know. It is also reffered to as being intimant.

12-09-2005 04:29 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: