What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Spot on forum header

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Spot on forum header
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Spot on forum header
PS: It also seems that actually all the colors shown in your screenshot are not the original colors as intended by the images.

Performing an arithmetic comparisson between the original images and your screenshot result in (top image):

[Image: attachment.php?pid=577899]

And note that the black color in the original top image, are actually many different shades of black as you can see in the color stretched bottom image.

This result image should be totally black with RGB value 0 (except for the spot and your green circle).

This may be the result of how you saved the image as a PNG. But normally if you simply save an image/screenshot as PNG, it should preserve all color RGB values exactly as they are if you didn't alter anything in the PNG format and/or settings itself. eg: color reduction, anti-bleeding, dithering, etc can make colors slightly off. So even, if you save an image as PNG, always check the image format settings. Saving as a PNG doesn't automatically mean you preserve all colors.

;)

.png File Attachment: difference.png (39.6 KB)
This file has been downloaded 239 time(s).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-15-2005 04:54 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Spot on forum header
I re-installed firefox and updated my theme (Noia 2.0) and I am not seeing the spot anymore.

Also, regarding Cookie's last post, is there a way I can check whether my browser is reading to colours of the header correctly (eg by Prt Screening it and performing a specific operation before saving it)? (Note I only have MS Paint to do this)
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

12-16-2005 05:33 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Spot on forum header
quote:
Originally posted by haydn
I re-installed firefox and updated my theme (Noia 2.0) and I am not seeing the spot anymore.
With the old theme in place, can you answer these questions:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
What do you mean by "some other pages"? Does it always appear on the logo, or does it only appear on some xmas logo's?

Also, what happens if you view the image alone in your browser (thus don't open it with a graphics program, but open it in your browser)?
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/images/topleft_xmas.gif

And, important, do you see the same spot on the next image (again, test only in firefox)?
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=577893

---------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by haydn
Also, regarding Cookie's last post, is there a way I can check whether my browser is reading to colours of the header correctly (eg by Prt Screening it and performing a specific operation before saving it)? (Note I only have MS Paint to do this)
Not with Paint though. But most other graphics editors have what is called "arithmetic functions".

1) You make a picture with all possible colors (thus 24 bit = 2^24 possible colors), or you take a nice photograph or something.
2) Then open the image inside your browser
3) Take a screenshot (PRTSCRN) and copy/paste it as a new image in your graphics editor (and crop it to the original image's size).
4) You open the original image file in your graphics editor as a second image.
5) Now you have 2 images in your graphics editor, ready to perform the arithmetic function on.

Each pixel of the image has some RGB values, and thus you can do some calculations on those values (this is also how filters work). One of the basic arithmetic operations is calculating the difference between a pixel from one image and a pixel from the other. If the difference is RGB value 0, you know that both pixels are identical. If it isn't the resulting pixel gets the calculated value.

pixel image 1 RGB = 50 90 70
pixel image 2 RGB = 150 90 60
pixel Difference RGB = 100 0 10

Though, I don't know of any "trick" you can do in MS Paint to accomplish the same. So, I'm afraid you can't do this in MS Paint. But there must be a free graphic editors (or viewers) which can do it.

--------------------

EDIT: Since you mentionned you have only Paint, I assume you saved the screenshot from your first post also with Paint? This made me wonder if it was Paint itself which alters the colors slithly when saving as a PNG. (internally, as you can't set anything in Paint to alter colors, etc before saving an image).

So I took a screenshot (prtnscrn) of my desktop with the top of this thread showing, and pasted it in Paint and in PSP. I saved the image in Paint as a png and opened it up as a second image in PSP and did the comparisson, no differences at all.

So it means that Paint does not alter the colors (which is a good thing), so the altered colors from your screenshot aren't because of that. Thus this means that your screenshot is indeed proof that your browser is doing some fishy things with the colors though (unless the colordepth of your windows is 16bit instead of 24bit or 32bit?).

EDIT2: if you wanna know for sure (without downloading and installing something new), take again a screenshot (with your new browser theme in place) of that same xmas logo on top of forum pages and save it as PNG (in other words, just as you did before) and attach it to a post.

This post was edited on 12-16-2005 at 10:52 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-16-2005 10:37 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: