What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN random quit = contact list gone

MSN random quit = contact list gone
Author: Message:
too_much

O.P. MSN random quit = contact list gone
Anyone ever had this? My pass and secret question are solid (so I think) and nobody could have got them - earlier while browsin around, my msn just quit without warning, so I log back in, and all my contacts are gone. Is it possible that a bug could be involved; a conflict from one of my other programs or something perhaps (like Azureus as it's memory intensive and java based)? Or is someone fucking me... I've got no viruses (not that the latest mcafee updates detect, and I don't open stupid emails or accept stupid things) and I'm spyware free sitting behind the mcafee firewall and a router with an inbuilt firewall.

All I can think is that some fucker got my password/access to my account and deleted them all... good job I saved them all last night I guess.

Any advice? I really hope it was a bug as I can't be doin with getting my account fucked over again - had it happen a few times a year or so back and it was a pain in the arse.

Oh, one last thing - it didn't say "You were signed in at another location" so I'm hoping this is just some random unexplainable bug. Either that or someone is really damn clever.

regards,
too_much

*edit* It was about half an hour ago now and it's not happened again since... touch-wood.

This post was edited on 01-07-2006 at 11:42 PM by too_much.
01-07-2006 11:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN random quit = contact list gone
Could be a bug with the MSN servers because you are the second one with a contacts dissapearing problem.

all my contacts have been deleted from msn!
[Image: 1-0.png]

01-07-2006 11:44 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
too_much

O.P. RE: MSN random quit = contact list gone
Yeah I noticed that post after searching actually - I'll PM him to ask if his password/question could have been guess easily. My pass and question are both 16 characters, involving upper and lower case letters and numbers...

Thing is when this happened last year my pass was pretty damn secure too - I think if someone wants into your account bad enough, they'll do it, but it's rather coincidental that this happened to him on the same day as me, so like I say, I'm hoping it's just a server problem.

On the bright side it finally pushed me into sorting out my list and deleting heaps of the old ones during the 20mins it took me to sort them back into groups! When you save your contact list, it saves the groups, but not which contact was in each group... bit poor that!

Cheers for the advice though, I'll keep my ears open!
01-07-2006 11:47 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
yo, i only jus read this. i did have problems signing in last night like, and when i looked at my hotmail contacts, all but 3 wer gone, and email's wer still i tact. my secret question is impossible, becoz he password is like dsnhsdfanuasfnju, as for the normal password, i dont think it could of been guessed really. might of been like.

thing is, i run a mesage board, and all that was deleted too, but the ppl wer on the system :S
01-08-2006 02:40 AM
too_much

O.P. RE: MSN random quit = contact list gone
Sounds like we got different problems mate... hope neither of us get it again though! Hope you get it sorted mate, good luck :)
01-08-2006 02:41 AM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
ye mate. that program we used was great though, im keepin for future use. 'twas great havin no contact list, then goin back to 25 ppl online ;) hahaha

as for the forums, theres nuttin i can do :( bastards
01-08-2006 03:19 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by too_much
my msn just quit without warning, so I log back in, and all my contacts are gone. Is it possible that a bug could be involved or is someone fucking me...
If someone was logging in to your account you would see that with a notification popping up "You were signed in at another location". But MSN Messenger will certainly not suddenly quit by its own.

As stated in several other threads, there are sometimes temporarly problems with newer versions of MSN Messenger. Mostly the problem is noticeable with the new Windows Live Messenger where there is an actuall error message shown when the contactlist can't be retrieved from the servers.

But, note that, at least in case of WLM, this is only a temporarly problem and your contacts will not be physically deleted. It is just that the local cached contact list can't be syncronized to the online contact list temporarly.

Thus, with all this said. When reporting strange behaviours like this always state the complete and exact version numbers of the software you use (a version number has always 3 parts: major.minor.build).

This post was edited on 01-08-2006 at 05:14 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-08-2006 05:12 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: