What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » MSN 6.2 to 7.0

MSN 6.2 to 7.0
Author: Message:
ero_sennin

www.battleboards.org

O.P. MSN 6.2 to 7.0
Its possible for a person with MSN 7.0 with the stuffplug-in  to show an enlarged DP to a person with MSN 6.2 without the person with 6.2 having the plugin yes? 

BUT

For the person with 6.2 and having the stuffplug and the person with 7.0 doesnt have the plugin, the person with 7.0 cant see the enlarged DP of the 6.2 guy??

Were we ALL "forced" to upgrade from 6.2 to 7.0?? Cause if we are still allowed to use 6.2 and if 6.2 people can show the people with 7.0 an enlarged DP without the 7.2 needing the stuffplug-in....I really want to switch back to 6.2 because it was soooo kewl and compatiable with my tastes.

Sorry if all that mumble jumble seems confusing..if you dont understand, please let me know and I ll try to explain again. THANKS(Y)
12-12-2005 05:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
RE: MSN 6.2 to 7.0
quote:
Originally posted by ero_sennin
Were we ALL "forced" to upgrade from 6.2 to 7.0??
In a word, yes.
From Messengers 7 onwards, the Stuffplug enlarged feature will only work when both contacts have the plug-in installed. This is because MSN Messenger automatically resizes your display picture to the defaut size.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

12-12-2005 05:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
zach

33 / Male / Flag
You can download MSN Messenger 6.2 here.
12-12-2005 07:52 PM
ero_sennin

www.battleboards.org

O.P. RE: MSN 6.2 to 7.0
Didnt Haydn just say that we were all forced to upgrade to 7.0!? So what is the point of downloading and installing 6.2 when they are going to make you upgrade?? Thanks anyways dude:o)
12-12-2005 08:09 PM
zach

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Didnt Haydn just say that we were all forced to upgrade to 7.0!? So what is the point of downloading and installing 6.2 when they are going to make you upgrade?? Thanks anyways dude:o)
I'm pretty sure you don't have to upgrade, you can find that out for yourself [Image: msn_tongue.gif] What are the reasons why you want 6.2 exactly though?
12-12-2005 08:19 PM
-rafy-

36 / Male / –
It will NOT force you to upgrade to MSN 7.

Rafy.

12-12-2005 08:33 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by zach

That link points to version 6.2.0137, which is more than a year old. The latest version is 6.2.0208, and can be found here

(if you want to provide a link, not only should you provide the latest version, but also note that the "english" link isn't needed at all. Strip it of the link as you don't know which language the user wants and/or uses.)

quote:
What are the reasons why you want 6.2 exactly though?
quote:
I really want to switch back to 6.2 because it was soooo kewl and compatiable with my tastes.
aka: because it is much less cluttered

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
indeed....

----------------------------------------

quote:
Its possible for a person with MSN 7.0 with the stuffplug-in  to show an enlarged DP to a person with MSN 6.2 without the person with 6.2 having the plugin yes?
correct

quote:
BUT

For the person with 6.2 and having the stuffplug and the person with 7.0 doesnt have the plugin, the person with 7.0 cant see the enlarged DP of the 6.2 guy??
correct

quote:
absolutely not (for now)...

MSN Messenger comes in various "flavors" if you like. You are NOT forced to update from one major version to another, they co-exist beside eachother.

For the Windows platform:
  there is Windows Messenger 4.7.x,
  there is Windows Messenger 5.x,
  there is MSN Messenger 5.0.x for Win95,
  there is MSN Messenger 5.0.x for NT4 and 2000,
  there is MSN Messenger 6.2.x,
  there is MSN Messenger 7.0.x,
  there is MSN Messenger 7.5.x,
  and soon there will be Windows Live Messenger.

All those "flavors" have a latest build, and if you have such latest build you will not be forced to upgrade to a higher major version. In fact, chances are you wont even get the "a new version is available" notification.

Thus...
quote:
Cause if we are still allowed to use 6.2 and if 6.2 people can show the people with 7.0 an enlarged DP without the 7.2 needing the stuffplug-in....I really want to switch back to 6.2 because it was soooo kewl and compatiable with my tastes.
From MSN Messenger 7.x and onwards, you will always need the StuffPlug-NG plugin in order to set and view an enlarged DP. This is because since MSN Messenger 7.0, the internal routine for setting and viewing DP's have been changed and include a "safety" against enlarged DP's. StuffPlug-NG is needed to disable this "safety".

EDIT: x2zen, yep indeed... Though I was still editing my post though; But I'll certainly add it, thanks ;) (there is also a version for the Mac)

This post was edited on 12-12-2005 at 10:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-12-2005 09:09 PM
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
There is Windows Messenger 4.7,
There is Windows Messenger 5.x
There is MSN Messenger 6.2
There is MSN Messenger 7.0.x
There is MSN Messenger 7.5.x
And soon there will be Windows Live Messenger.
You forgot MSN Messenger 5.0.x which is the one Windows 95 users is using
12-12-2005 09:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ero_sennin

www.battleboards.org

O.P. RE: RE: MSN 6.2 to 7.0
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

That link points to version 6.2.0137, which is more than a year old. The latest version is 6.2.0208, and can be found here

(if you want to provide a link, not only should you provide the latest version, but also note that the "english" link isn't needed at all. Strip it of the link as you don't know which language the user wants and/or uses.)

quote:
What are the reasons why you want 6.2 exactly though?
quote:
I really want to switch back to 6.2 because it was soooo kewl and compatiable with my tastes.
aka: because it is much less cluttered

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
indeed....

----------------------------------------

quote:
correct

quote:
BUT

correct

quote:
absolutely not (for now)...

MSN Messenger comes in various "flavors" if you like. You are NOT forced to update from one major version to another, they co-exist beside eachother.

For the Windows platform:
  there is Windows Messenger 4.7.x,
  there is Windows Messenger 5.x,
  there is MSN Messenger 5.0.x for Win95,
  there is MSN Messenger 5.0.x for NT4 and 2000,
  there is MSN Messenger 6.2.x,
  there is MSN Messenger 7.0.x,
  there is MSN Messenger 7.5.x,
  and soon there will be Windows Live Messenger.

All those "flavors" have a latest build, and if you have such latest build you will not be forced to upgrade to a higher major version. In fact, chances are you wont even get the "a new version is available" notification.

Thus...
quote:
Cause if we are still allowed to use 6.2 and if 6.2 people can show the people with 7.0 an enlarged DP without the 7.2 needing the stuffplug-in....I really want to switch back to 6.2 because it was soooo kewl and compatiable with my tastes.
From MSN Messenger 7.x and onwards, you will always need the StuffPlug-NG plugin in order to set and view an enlarged DP. This is because since MSN Messenger 7.0, the internal routine for setting and viewing DP's have been changed and include a "safety" against enlarged DP's. StuffPlug-NG is needed to disable this "safety".

EDIT: x2zen, indeed, but I was still editing my post though ;) (and there is also a version for the Mac)

Ah, my question has been answered very well, thank you. And yes I like 6.2 because its less cluttery and I dont like all that junk on 7.0 that I dont even use. I dont know why, but I was trying to log on to my 6.2, but it would not let me and forced me to upgrade to 7.0. So, I have been using 7.0 all this time. And ...what are the "safety hazards" of an enlarged DP!? Claustraphobia!?
12-12-2005 10:37 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
but I was trying to log on to my 6.2, but it would not let me and forced me to upgrade to 7.0.
You sure about it forced you to upgrade to 7.0 and not to a later 6.2 build? You did had the latest 6.2 build? .... It would be possible, but it would be something very new though. (also, I have no troubles using my 6.2.208 version though).

Anyways;
quote:
So, I have been using 7.0 all this time. And ...what are the "safety hazards" of an enlarged DP!? Claustraphobia!?
lol, yeah.... that and the fact that it can be very annoying to some people if you used enlarged DP's (especially if they are ridiculous large). The harm to you would be that you maybe could be blocked by them for using such a large DP :p

(and in very very extreme rare cases, that messenger goes bananas because it can't handle the large DP, or other overflow errors might occur. But this is only hypotetical though, never seen it happen. Although, in theory, it may could happen as it was not build to handle large DP's)

This post was edited on 12-12-2005 at 11:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-12-2005 11:58 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: