What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » MS-DOS

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
MS-DOS
Author: Message:
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
O.P. Undecided  MS-DOS
I have this game on  a CD, that i can't play anymore, on this computer because of the envirment it's in, im using windows XP.  is there a way that i can play the disc?
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
12-13-2005 10:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
n0n4m3

44 / Male / Flag
RE: MS-DOS
Hi there,

try using DosBox
12-13-2005 10:56 PM
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
O.P. RE: MS-DOS
Well, i cant install it. and i dont know how to use this dosbox program...
12-13-2005 11:17 PM
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
It's 100 Action Arcade Games, and the disc wont even load without
saying some shit about ms dos... it says its meant for windows 3.1 and
95 :sad:
12-13-2005 11:34 PM
kittymew

Bitten By A snowball in hell!

– / Female / –

MS-DOS-based games don't have the friendly installers found in the Windows 9x-based games. You should install MS-DOS-based games from a command prompt.

To open a command prompt
-    Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the text box, and press ENTER.

A black box with white lettering opens, which resembles an MS-DOS screen. From there, you can install the game according to its instructions.

Set the sound in the DOS game to SoundBlaster defaults. That's your best bet for getting audio to work without a special program,

Next, create a shortcut to run the MS-DOS-based game, by following these steps:

1.Right-click the desktop, point to New, and then click Shortcut.

2.Type or browse to the location of the game's startup program, and then click Next.

3.Type a name for the shortcut, and then click Next.

4.Choose an icon for the shortcut, and then click Finish.

Now you have a shortcut to your MS-DOS-based game, which you can tweak to make the Windows XP environment more hospitable:
-    Right-click the shortcut and click Properties.

You'll see a window with the following tabs:
-    General: Basic information about the shortcut.
-    Program: Location of the shortcut and a few other odds and ends.
-    Font: You can choose the font properties for the command prompt window that the MS-DOS-based program runs in.
-    Memory: Some MS-DOS-based programs require various types of extended or expanded memory. You can adjust those settings here. In most cases, you can leave the defaults alone, but if your program gives you an error indicating that it needs a certain amount of a certain type of memory, you can allocate that resource here.
-    Screen: Specify whether you want the program run full-screen or windowed (the former is usually better), and whether to use fast ROM emulation (you usually do) and dynamic memory allocation (you usually also want).
-    Misc: There are several options in this tab, including the option to allow the screen saver (I always disable this, because some MS-DOS-based programs don't gracefully deal with it), and which Windows shortcuts to allow (I disable them all).
-    Compatibility: Same as the Program Compatibility Wizard options discussed above.   

Summary: You can enter notes about the shortcut here.

You may need to experiment with several of the settings in the shortcut's Properties dialog box to get the MS-DOS-based game to run happily.

TIP: . Check for fan-created builds of old game code designed to run on newer operating system.
One of the trickiest parts of making MS-DOS-based games to run on Windows XP is getting the sound to work. Some sound cards come with feeble emulation of legacy drivers, but they rarely work to perfection. They usually use the default SoundBlaster resource allocations (stuff like IRQ and DMA settings). You might find your MS-DOS-based game's sound is skipping, cutting out, and having all sorts of problems.

MS recommends a tool called VDMSound. VDMsound is a software sound emulator.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/
After you install it, VDMSound integrates with Windows XP to make using it a cinch:
-    Navigate to the MS-DOS game's Start program, right-click it, and then click Run with VDMS.

Then run your game with its audio resources set to the default SoundBlaster values.

Fix Older Games that Run Too Fast

Sometimes, you'll finally get a game to work only to have it run too fast to be playable. The sounds will be scrambled, animation will be ridiculously fast, and you'll simply be unable to keep up with the game. If that happens, you need a slowdown tool like the awesome Cpukiller.
http://www.cpukiller.com/
Cpukiller 3 is a shareware program that runs in the background and eats up CPU cycles. This limits CPU power and effectively slows it down. You can turn it on and off at your discretion, so it only needs to work when you're running those legacy games.:)

This post was edited on 12-14-2005 at 02:17 AM by kittymew.
12-14-2005 02:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

Way to go copying and pasting http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/expert/durham_og.mspx

Were you ever taught correct referencing for articles that you copy or use?

Oh, and that won't fix his problem, but good job for trying!

Purity, you'll most likely have to install a virtual machine with DOS or Windows 95 if you want FULL DOS support.

This post was edited on 12-14-2005 at 02:35 AM by surfichris.
12-14-2005 02:34 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
I have run Warcraft through dosbox before, and there's screenies on the site showing it running Win 3.1. I would assume that it would work. There's also a game conpatibility page on thier site
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
12-14-2005 02:39 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Way to go copying and pasting http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/expert/durham_og.mspx

Were you ever taught correct referencing for articles that you copy or use?

Oh, and that won't fix his problem, but good job for trying!

Purity, you'll most likely have to install a virtual machine with DOS or Windows 95 if you want FULL DOS support.
Bah, shit, alright.

thanks for the help everyone.

12-14-2005 02:43 AM
kittymew

Bitten By A snowball in hell!

– / Female / –
Thanks yep it was copy and pasted,I had same prob about 3 months ago ..and I didn't have the webpage still As it  was saved in my word..sorry bout that Chris ..and anyways I wouldnt have been able to know all that stuff or type it out  ..but i had the info so I posted it.Cause it looked like purity needed it...:)Cause I used it about three months ago-:)..hope it helped!But thanks for the link.I appreciate it:)

This post was edited on 12-14-2005 at 02:52 AM by kittymew.
12-14-2005 02:48 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by beamy-kitty
Thanks yep it was copy and pasted ..and I didnt have the webpage still it was saved in my word..sorry bout that chris ..and anyways I wouldnt have been able to know all that stuff or type it out ..but i had the info so I posted it....:)Cause I used it about three months ago-:)..hope it helped!

You don't think purity knows what "that big black box with white letters" is? Don't just copy articles like that, if you think it will help at least sum it up or quote the source :-/
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.