What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » SPYWARE!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
SPYWARE!
Author: Message:
niall_sg1

O.P. Sad  SPYWARE!
I recently downloaded Messenger Plus only to realise it contains spyware!!! I uninstalled Messenger Plus Immediately and deleted the spyware. I then read that the spyware was in fact adware and you only get it if you install the other software but i did not install the promotional software and still got the "adware" which is attually spyware. I would like to know why this happened. And I will not recommend any one downloads it until this problem is fixed. Also this is not a one off as my friends also downloaded it without the promotional package and they also got spyware. I am appalled at Messenger Plus for this matter as they say you only get the addware when you install the promotional package but clearly this is a lie. This is obvioulsy a big problem and to contact me you can at niall007@gmail.com. As i would like to know why downloading Messenger Plus also downloads adware or spyware!!! :@:@:@

12-18-2005 05:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
niall_sg1

O.P. RE: SPYWARE!
By the Promotional program i mean the sponsor program i did not install it AND still got spyware/adware
12-18-2005 05:43 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: SPYWARE!
Ok well first off welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay.

Secondly it is 110% impossible to select against installing the optional sponsor and still having it installed.

[Image: mp360_sponsor1.gif]
12-18-2005 05:45 PM
niall_sg1

Ok, I remeber clicking not to install the sponser as someone told me not to. I did not click it however the next day someone told me that Messenger Plus is spyware. I downloaded the new microsoft anti-spyware and there it was spyware without even downloading the sponser. I like what Messenger Plus does to msn however i am not sure i will download it again as i did not click for the sponser
12-18-2005 05:48 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
First check this out: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=49078
Then this: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=50707
Then this: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=50878
12-18-2005 05:50 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

Oh, that is detecting msgplus as an adware bunder not at it actually having installed spyware/adware, nothing to worry about. It hasn't installed the sponsor.
12-18-2005 05:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Negro_Joe

Go!Go!Go!

34 / Male / –
It doesn ot contain any spyware whatsoever, we all use it here, and we can all garuntee it does no damage to your pc whatsoever...:@

[Image: sinavatar4ie.jpg]

12-18-2005 05:51 PM
niall_sg1

Thank you for clearing that up traxor and i belive that is what anti spyware said I take back my first statment and i will recommed it highley to all msn users. Sorry for kicking up a fuss.
Also Messenger Plus is a wonderfull program and thanks for making sure it contained not real spyware
12-18-2005 05:56 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Microsoft AntiSpyware will see Messenger Plus! as a threat even when you don't install the sponsor at all. This behavior is wrong, there is no spyware/adware/malware at all when you didn't install the sponsor. Microsoft's AntiSpyware is the only program (as far as i know) that sees a Messenger Plus! installation without the sponsor as a threat. Patchou even had a signature action against it, and they stepped back a little since that. Scan your PC with any other anti spyware scanner and you will see that there is nothing dodgy coming from Plus! when it's installed without the sponsor.

More information about this can be found in these topics:
Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)
Petition to save Messenger Plus!
Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back!
401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN!

EDIT: I'm slow, anwser was already given. But full info for other users who might read this topic.

This post was edited on 12-18-2005 at 06:12 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-18-2005 06:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
Maybe someone should Sticky Methinx's post?
12-18-2005 06:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: