What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Hard Drive

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Hard Drive
Author: Message:
philipe

32 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Hard Drive
Okay, thanks a lot for your advice, I was just about to buy a new one! But if these temperatures are average and won't harm my hard drive, everything's fine. :)

This post was edited on 12-22-2005 at 01:34 PM by philipe.
12-22-2005 01:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Hard Drive
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Of course keeping the monitor powered on all the time when you most of the time don't use the computer when it runs (thus monitor is blanked out by Windows), the monitor will still consume power. But indeed, constantly powering it on/off isn't good for it (same thing as with anything else).

There is a difference between Windows sending a black screen signal, and an off signal to the monitor.

In the first case, the monitor consumes about as much power as it will during regular usage (whatever that is).

In the second instance, the monitor is off, in the same state as if the computer had been turned off, using close to zero power. This is recomended by manufacturers over using the front power button (on some monitors even this button won't change power consumption, cutting power altogether is the only way to zero power usage).

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
My aerogate usually says about 15-20 degrees above what it really is
How do you know that?
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
12-23-2005 01:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Hard Drive
I think you mistundertood me...

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
There is a difference between Windows sending a black screen signal, and an off signal to the monitor.

In the first case, the monitor consumes about as much power as it will during regular usage (whatever that is).

In the second instance, the monitor is off, in the same state as if the computer had been turned off, using close to zero power.
I know. I'm not talking about a crappy black image screensaver of course. I'm talking about the "no-signal". But indeed even a "no-signal" consumes power.

And that was my whole additional point to your previous post; If you leave your computer on for a long time (hours), but you're not using it, you might as well turn your monitor off (as in cut the power all together) as it will consume power, standy or not. Power which is wasted otherwise.

quote:
This is recomended by manufacturers over using the front power button
Recommended to save power??? Where did you read that? This is totally wrong... standby mode or not, the moni (or any equipment for that matter) will always consume power.

Or if you mean: let windows blank out the monitor when you don't use it for short time periods instead of using the power button yourself, than that is exactly what I confirmed before.
quote:
But indeed, constantly powering it on/off isn't good for it (same thing as with anything else).

This post was edited on 12-23-2005 at 06:38 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-23-2005 06:27 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: Hard Drive
quote:
quote:
This is recomended by manufacturers over using the front power button
Recommended to save power??? Where did you read that? This is totally wrong... standby mode or not, the moni (or any equipment for that matter) will always consume power.
I know it will consume power, I didn't say it won't, when
quote:
same state as if the computer had been turned off, using close to zero power. This is recomended by manufacturers over using the front power button
The front power button will cause most monitors to cease using power.

However, letting the monitor turn itself off, after the connected computer has been turned off completely, will use very little power, close to none, and this course of usage is recomended by manufacturers including BenQ, LiteON and Samsung, whether leaving you computer on and inattended for an extended period of time, or leaving it off.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
12-23-2005 07:12 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Hard Drive
Well, in that case I want to see the exact quote/source, as that does not make any sense at all in reference to power consumption and even not in reference to the dureability of the equipment.

They most likely mean it in the context as we both already have said before: constantly powering anything on/off over a short period of time isn't good for any equipment (nothing todo with power consumption in that case either).

Recommending to leave a machine on for a long period of inactivity is the worse thing you can recommend even for a manufacture (and even how low the power consumption might be in standby mode). If you don't use a machine for a long time, you switch it off.

This post was edited on 12-23-2005 at 07:41 AM by CookieRevised.
12-23-2005 07:38 AM
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
Well, the 2 monitors i have enters standby mode after 5 seconds of no-signal, i was reading the user's manual of one of them and is just as rav0 said:

quote:
However, letting the monitor turn itself off, after the connected computer has been turned off completely, will use very little power, close to none, and this course of usage is recomended by manufacturers including BenQ, LiteON and Samsung, whether leaving you computer on and inattended for an extended period of time, or leaving it off.

Indeed, it might use some power but for some reason the monitors turns their system off after a period of inactivity, wich obviously will be for save a lot of energy when not in use.

And another question, barely related to all of this, how much energy uses a 17" monitor (CRT) and how much an LCD? A lot of people told me CRTs uses a very crazy amount of energy, wich is the main reason of high amount of $ in bills :S
12-24-2005 03:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
Well, the 2 monitors i have enters standby mode after 5 seconds of no-signal, i was reading the user's manual of one of them and is just as rav0 said
I never questionned what rav0 said, I added to what he said.

quote:
Indeed, it might use some power but for some reason the monitors turns their system off after a period of inactivity, wich obviously will be for save a lot of energy when not in use.
Indeed. But as I said before, to save even more energy it is best to turn the monitor completely off.

It will never be stated or recommended, in any manual, to always keep your monitor powered on (and thus in standby) when you leave your computer unattended for a long period of time.

quote:
And another question, barely related to all of this, how much energy uses a 17" monitor (CRT) and how much an LCD (sic: an "LCD" is also a monitor. The word "monitor" does not say anything about the type of monitor)? A lot of people told me CRTs uses a very crazy amount of energy, wich is the main reason of high amount of $ in bills :S
It very highly depends on type of monitor, manufacture, size of monitor, age of the monitor, etc... etc...

But on average an LCD uses more or less 30% to 50% less power. If a CRT uses 150W/30W, then a LCD uses 60W in active mode and 5W in standby...

Also, the power consumption curve for a CRT increases more rapidly than for an LCD when you look at the size of the monitor. This means the difference between a 21" LCD and a 21"CRT is bigger than between a 17"LCD and a 17" CRT.

This post was edited on 12-24-2005 at 12:54 PM by CookieRevised.
12-24-2005 12:48 PM
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
WOW, thanks for the info CR (Y)
12-24-2005 04:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Well, in that case I want to see the exact quote/source, as that does not make any sense at all in reference to power consumption and even not in reference to the dureability of the equipment.
I've attached a page out of the user manual for BonQ FP756ms. (the last point is the important one) :)

.png File Attachment: .png (115.04 KB)
This file has been downloaded 115 time(s).

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

12-27-2005 11:13 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
I've attached a page out of the user manual for BonQ FP756ms. (the last point is the important one) :)
That doesn't meant at all what you've implied though...

It simply means: do not keep the monitor on all the time without blanking it out, if you don't use the computer for a long time when it is on.

Or: if you do not turn of your monitor, always use the computer power management to blank out the monitor (to prevent burning in, to safe at least some power, to extent the life of other components)

It certainly does not mean to keep your monitor powered on all the time, no matter if you use your computer for a longer period or not, no matter if the computer is turned on or not.
quote:
It will never be stated or recommended, in any manual, to always keep your monitor powered on (even in standby) when you leave your computer unattended for a long period of time.

This post was edited on 12-27-2005 at 04:55 PM by CookieRevised.
12-27-2005 04:48 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: