What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » WordPress 2.0 Officially Released

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
WordPress 2.0 Officially Released
Author: Message:
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. WordPress 2.0 Officially Released
Well, Wordpress 2.0 has been officially released and this new release is killer.  Info below.

quote:
Originally posted by Wordpress 2.0 Changelog

* More Abstracted Data Layer - The core WordPress code has been refactored to abstract direct calls to the database when adding posts, comments, and other data. This will lead to improvements in database access (perhaps even supporting other database engines in the future) and plugin development, including…
* New Import System - The new import system leverages the abstraction done at the data layer, so that import routines can call simple functions to convert posts from other blogging tools instead of a huge complicated series of queries. Importers are also available directly from the admin, so no special process need be taken to employ them. (Thanks, tinster.)
* Admin Redesign - It’s not so significant as the Tiger Admin plugin, but there are a few more gadgets in the admin, especially on the Write page. You can now drag sections of the page to reorganize them, and click the plus/minus to expand/contract the sections.
* The Rich Editor - WordPress has a new post editor built in that lets you see what you’re going to get without having to decipher tags. You can also resize the editing area on the fly by dragging it, which is pretty cool. Not everyone who has tried it likes the WYSIWYG editor, so there is an option to disable it on a per-user basis.
* Image/File Uploading - Just under the Rich Editor in the Write panel, there is a new control that allows you to upload and insert images into your posts. WordPress keeps track of these images and can even automatically provide dedicated pages to receive comments for them.
* Improved Post Preview - Instead of displaying the post as plain text below the editor, the post is now displayed in an embedded frame, using all of the layout and CSS that is normally applied to your site. In effect, the post looks exactly like it will when you publish it, giving you ample opportunity to review the post’s layout.
* User Metadata - To support user-based options, the user data now sports a much more flexible structure. People who use WordPress as a CMS can now use code to add custom data of any kind to any user profile.
* User Roles and Capabilities - The “user level” concept of security has now been replaced with Roles. WordPress associates a Role to each user. Roles have Capabilities such as “edit posts” and “activate plugins” that allow certain actions. There is no more concept of hierarchical users, but plugin authors can now create whole new Capabilities to apply proper permission management.
* Presentation Page Changes - WordPress 1.5 lets you switch themes, and 2.0 shows you what they look like before you do it. If a theme includes a screenshot, you’ll see it in the Presentation admin panel to help you choose the theme for your site.
* Ajax Category Addition - There’s a bunch of ajax in WordPress 2.0 and this is probably the most requested use of it. This feature lets you add new categories directly from the post-writing page.
* Ajax List Management - There are a few places in the admin that show lists of things and let you delete, like categories, posts, comments. Now, instead of reloading, the row turns red and then fades out.
* Moved Javascript/Images - Version 2.0 uses a lot more javascript than prior versions. Some utilities, like FAT (Fade Anything Technique) and SACK (Simple Ajax Code Kit), can be used by other tools and plugins, so it’s good to put them someplace where developers know they will reside, and outside of the admin directory, which might have weird permissions.
* Theme Admin Pages - The guys who worked on K2 went to some lengths to hack a custom configuration page for their theme into the WordPress admin. Now that capability is easily available by including a functions.php file with the theme. You can see this at work in the new header generator for the Default theme.
* Ping Delay Removed - Rather than pinging trackbacks and pingbacks when the post is saved (this causes the delay you see when posting to WP1.5), the pings are attempted via a different method that allows the admin interface to respond more quickly.
* Persistent Cache - There are certain types of queries that WordPress makes to the database repeatedly. To speed things up, the results of these queries are cached to disk. This caching is still compatible with other caching plugins, like WP-Cache, and could be just enough of a boost for larger sites to avoid optimizing everything.
* Database Versioning - Now when updates are made to the database schema, your admin panel will tell you to run the upgrade routines. This is handy because it keeps your database fresh enough to support the code that runs on it.
* New Built-In Plugins - WordPress 2.0 is now packed with the Akismet plugin for comment spam prevention, and the WP-DB-Backup plugin for manual or automated database backups.

View: Official Site
Download: Official Site - Mirror (eXoenDo)

Not that many frontend changes, but admin panel is wayyy different.

This post was edited on 12-26-2005 at 11:01 PM by Dane.
12-26-2005 10:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: WordPress 2.0 Officially Released
This is great news. Going to update my wordpress as soon as the site is back. Im busy, so Im just gonna wait even though there is a mirror

edit: site is back

This post was edited on 12-26-2005 at 11:08 PM by Lou.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
12-26-2005 11:00 PM
~INVASION~
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
awesome, im updating right now :D

www.invasionbeta.com

This post was edited on 12-27-2005 at 12:28 AM by ~INVASION~.
{WindowsLive Butterfly ~ 2006 - 2009}
12-27-2005 12:28 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
the wysiwyg sucks [Image: msn_tongue.gif] and the new permissions system is evil [Image: msn_sad.gif]
(only because i cant see how to use it ... dosnt seem to be documentated atm)
the new admin stuff looks nice well not the whole blueness of it but the overall layout is good.

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
$~INVASION~ -> coding(NULL);
btw invasion you cant use ~ in varibles and passing null [Image: xso_undecided.gif] serves no purpose.
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
12-27-2005 01:45 AM
Snake

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: WordPress 2.0 Officially Released
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
the wysiwyg sucks [Image: msn_tongue.gif] and the new permissions system is evil [Image: msn_sad.gif]
(only because i cant see how to use it ... dosnt seem to be documentated atm)
the new admin stuff looks nice well not the whole blueness of it but the overall layout is good.

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
$~INVASION~ -> coding(NULL);
btw invasion you cant use ~ in varibles and passing null [Image: xso_undecided.gif] serves no purpose.

I agree the editor does suck. You can't make thumb nails anymore with picture. :(

EDIT: Ok I was wrong I figured out how it works.

This post was edited on 12-27-2005 at 03:56 AM by Snake.
[Image: sig.png]
12-27-2005 02:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
Old news |-) Its been a week. Anyone with wp 1.5 will see it on their dashboard. And knew it was gonna come out as i have seen this on the sites on wordpress.com ;) (Registered there for akismet)

I havent uploaded it as of yet .... to lazy |-) Its been on my desktop for 5 days now.
quote:
I told you to get akismet. You'd have seen it about a month back :P
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
12-27-2005 04:14 AM
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I told you to get akismet.
why do i want akismet
I HAVE NO USE FOR IT
my own anti bot spam plugin blocks all my spam problems.
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
12-27-2005 05:48 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
I told you to get akismet.
why do i want akismet
I HAVE NO USE FOR IT
my own anti bot spam plugin blocks all my spam problems.
:dodgy:
If you would have gotten akismet then you would have seen all this features a long time back :P
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
12-27-2005 05:51 AM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: WordPress 2.0 Officially Released
quote:

I havent uploaded it as of yet .... to lazy |-) Its been on my desktop for 5 days now.

Then thats the release candidate, not final.  Final wasnt leaked and came out just today.
12-27-2005 05:52 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
Btw, im sure no one noticed this but ....
quote:
Originally posted by Wordpress installation readme

Upgrading from any previous WordPress to 1.5:

Lazy aint they ?? I saw this the day i downloaded it :P

Everything said prior to this was about rc 3 :P

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Then thats the release candidate, not final
Yeah i have the rc
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Final wasnt leaked and came out just today.
They havent written it on wp's official blog yet. Odd O.o
Ill download it :P Thanks :P

.html File Attachment: readme.html (7.97 KB)
This file has been downloaded 116 time(s).

This post was edited on 12-27-2005 at 06:01 AM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
12-27-2005 05:57 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend