What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » how much time to go? [DILEMMA 1]

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Poll: What is (more) correct according to you
1 year and 1 day
1 year and 0 days
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
how much time to go? [DILEMMA 1]
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Undecided  how much time to go? [DILEMMA 1]
This is also a programming question too...

I want as many as possible opinions. But do think about it for a while! Please don't simply vote for something because somebody else voted for it or because it has the most votes, as that will not help me at all.

I don't want to give much technical background on this, as that might influence how you vote.

The question is regarding counting how much time there is to go.

First poll I create would be to tell me what you think the result might be for a count towards a date (and again, there is no really right or wrong solution, both are perfect valid if you think about it)...

Let's say it is february 29th, 2004 and you have a special dinner on march 1st, 2005. What do you aspect to see in a countdown?

A) 1 year and 1 day to go (because february 29th 2004 + 1 day = march 1st 2004. And that + 1 year = march 1st 2005)
B) 1 year and 0 days to go (because february 29th 2004 + 1 year =  february 29th 2005, which doesn't exist, and thus becomes march 1st 2005)

Or to put it in another way. If it is february 29th, 2004 and you see in a countdown "1 year and 1 day to go", what does your gut feeling say the target date would be?
A) march 1st 2005
B) march 2nd 2005

Additional example for both methods:
Still same current date (february 29th, 2004), but now our dinner is on february 28th, 2005:
A) Method A from above will give you: 11 months, 28 days to go
B) Method B from above will give you: 11 months, 30 days to go

note 1: this isn't an issue about including or not including the current day into the calculation.
The current day is not included in neither count. If it was, the options would be:
    A) 1 year 2 days.
    B) 1 year 1 day.
So the questions (and dilemma) still remains...

note 2: every other futur date calculation for other months can be done with both calculation methods and the result will always be the same for both methods. So it isn't either a matter of what method calculates the other dates correctly, as both methods will...

note 3: but don't calculate too much! The answers I want must come from the gut so to speak; The meaning of this poll is if you see something like that on an ad on the street, what would your gut feeling say without to much thinking about it...

This post was edited on 01-02-2006 at 05:33 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-01-2006 08:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: how much time to go? [DILEMMA 1]
1yr + 0 days is my option

But if you were to go from say febuary 28th 2003 to march 31 2004 then thatd be 1yr for feb 28 2003 to 2004 and another 2 days for march 1st 2004

Btw cookie, its Febuary not februari

Update: For that second senario, my answer remains the same. Method B it is. 11 months 30 days :)

This post was edited on 01-01-2006 at 08:24 AM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-01-2006 08:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Val

30 / Other / Flag
I have made my conclution by this simple thinking.

You have a dinner tomaro so do you go in 1 day or 2 days? of course 1 day and also there is how I say it in general when im counting dates I do not count the day that im in, but count the day in bettween and the dy that i must be there
Menthix:
Anonymous doesn\'t have a leader.
Anonymous is the leader of ShawnZ.

Max:
True. But deep down, we all know.
ShawnZ is incharge.
he is /b/ in human form.
01-01-2006 08:52 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Hmm... interesting... :-/

To me, it makes more sense for the larger units to be added first (years > days) so I chose option B.
01-01-2006 09:01 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: how much time to go? [DILEMMA 1]
quote:
Originally posted by ValSpy
I have made my conclution by this simple thinking.

You have a dinner tomaro so do you go in 1 day or 2 days? of course 1 day and also there is how I say it in general when im counting dates I do not count the day that im in, but count the day in bettween and the dy that i must be there
yep, and that is also done in the shown calculations.

The starting day (or final day, however you view it) isn't counted in neither method. If it was, the options would be:
  A) 1 year and 2 days
  B) 1 year and 1 day

So, that isn't the issue and the dilemma still remains...

Nevertheless, thanks for the thought. I've included that point as an additional small note to make it a bit more clear.

;)

This post was edited on 01-01-2006 at 09:36 AM by CookieRevised.
01-01-2006 09:07 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
To me option B is the correct one as you don't count a "non existing" calendar day.

That day on the calendar only exists once every 4 years (leap year). This is done to correct the calendar's alignment with the earth's motion around the sun...a year has 365.2422 days, so the additional 0.2422 days have to be corrected at some point.

This post was edited on 01-01-2006 at 12:26 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
01-01-2006 12:25 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: how much time to go? [DILEMMA 1]
bump (all those new (spam) threads... grrrr :p)

--

anyways, I again want to stress on the fact that this dilemma is not about including or not the starting day in the count. In both methods the starting day is not included... If it was the options would simply become
  A) 1 year and 2 days
  B) 1 year and 1 day

So, that isn't the issue and the dilemma still remains...

It is about how you calculate to get the target time; if somebody said: "in 1 year x days I will go to dinner", do you first add the days or do you first add the years to know the date that he meant.

For once, you can vote the way your heart/guts will tell you how you would do it in every day life without thinking about it ;)

This post was edited on 01-02-2006 at 03:37 PM by CookieRevised.
01-02-2006 03:31 PM
hmaster

33 / Male / Flag
Option B just seem to make more sense to me *-)
[Image: sig.png]
01-02-2006 03:37 PM
Yousef

(previously known as Juzzi)

35 / Male / Flag
Nice dilemma...

Technically it would be B, but when you're just talking to someone it would be A. So both are correct to me...
Developer of BuddyFuse: Google Talk, Twitter and Hyves in Windows Live Messenger
Ex-Microsoft intern and Windows Live Developer MVP in 2007 & 2008
01-02-2006 03:53 PM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
I would use option B. I count "one year" as 365 days. If you add 365 calendar days to February 29 2004 you end up with March the first, 2005.

Contradictory to this however, if it were 29-2-04 and somebody was to ask me "What are you doing in one year and one day from now?" I would probably assume they were talking about March 1st, 2005.

Similar to how ValSpy pointed out, if it was 29-2-04 and you added 4 years and 0 days, you would still end up with February 29 (2008), whereas adding four years and one day would conclude with the date being March the first, also in 2008.

Sorry to argue both sides here, it really is a good dilemma:P

My final 'gut' answer is option B, but only in the case where it is going from one leap year to the next 'non-leap' year.

Note: Does the title suggest there are going to be other dilemmas?
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

01-02-2006 04:06 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites