What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Attaching timezone attributes to my chat list - A Suggestion

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Attaching timezone attributes to my chat list - A Suggestion
Author: Message:
grinch

O.P. Attaching timezone attributes to my chat list - A Suggestion
If this post is in the wrong place I apologize... but I've moved this stupid thing twice now because it was apparently posted in the wrong place. If there is a forum or topic area where someone can make a suggestion regarding a new "nice to have" MsgPlus feature it isn't jumping out at me.. sorry...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here it is...

I have several friends and family members that I talk to using Messenger and not all of the people I talk with are in my time zone or even in the same country. I think it would be extremely useful if the current date and time (where they are located) could be optionally displayed along side their name... I don't know of an IRC application that enables you to associate date and time information for the location of someone in your chat list.

This post was edited on 01-02-2006 at 11:09 PM by grinch.
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
01-02-2006 10:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
t1a0s

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Attaching timezone attributes to my chat list - A Suggestion
Seems like a useful idea, but couldnt you just ask the person you're talking to?

Member since 7124 days, 22 hours, 11 minutes, 32 seconds ago.
01-03-2006 05:11 PM
grinch

O.P. RE: Attaching timezone attributes to my chat list - A Suggestion
I suppose so... but I could also ask them their status or ask them their name or ask them what music they were listening to... I'm not interested in the time for time's sake... I may want to coordinate a conversation between myself a a couple of other people and we may all be in different timezones or countries... there are any number of reasons that being able to see what time it is where they are is useful to me...
01-03-2006 07:59 PM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
You can write down anything per contact with MsgPlus!, such as the timezone (GTM -0300, for example).

Simply right-click on the contact, on the "Messenger Plus! Extras" sub-menu pick "Contact Information...". You will be able to write anything for that specific contact. You can also access this by the commands /whois or /info

I know this isn't an automatic solution, but it's an alternative.

For a plugin, I think the most difficult part would be to attach the time next to the contact's name (as requested). Also, the time wouldn't be reliable if the local user (grinch, for example) has his/her local time wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by grinch
If there is a forum or topic area where someone can make a suggestion regarding a new "nice to have" MsgPlus feature
This one (MsgPlus! General Talk), but this idea probably wouldn't be made as part of MsgPlus!, more like as a plugin, in my opinion.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

01-03-2006 08:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
grinch

Thanks, but I realize that anything can be written into the notes including the time reference. However, as you pointed out - it doesn't automatically calculate the time and I don't have the desire to calculate current GMT -3 or GMT +10... The time wouldn't necessarily need to be next to the name if, for example, in addition to having name, status, notes, etc when you run the mouse over someone's name the time in their location were included... as for the local time being inaccurate... that's always a possibiity... its also possible to spell your own name wrong too I guess...*-)
01-03-2006 09:40 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Sounds nice to add, but it is actually very difficult to add this in a decent correct and automatic way considering all the different DST settings and different times around the world when DST is enabled/disabled. And DST times are not fixed and can change from year to year, etc. They aren't even always enabled at the same (relative) time around the world...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-03-2006 11:38 PM
Jerry J.

RE: RE: Attaching timezone attributes to my chat list - A Suggestion
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Sounds nice to add, but it is actually very difficult to add this in a decent correct and automatic way considering all the different DST settings and different times around the world when DST is enabled/disabled. And DST times are not fixed and can change from year to year, etc. They aren't even always enabled at the same (relative) time around the world...

As probably lots of people wouldn't have this enabled, it'd be nice to have a manual override for each user's time.
01-07-2006 10:27 AM
grinch

I realize that there are what seem to be an infinite number of places on this planet that use Daylight Savings Time and that not all of them go into effect at the same time nor do each of them end at the same time... however, software is great at allowing one to:

1. Enter an offset from GMT.
   2. Indicate IF DST is applicable.
   3. Enter WHEN DST BEGINS
   4. Enter WHEN DST ENDS

Certainly, more difficult problems with far more variables have been solved by software engineers than this...

This post was edited on 01-07-2006 at 11:19 AM by grinch.
01-07-2006 11:17 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Of course it is possible, I never said it wasn't.

But I do pointed out that such a feature isn't that trivial and easy to implement just like that as how it first was portrayed, hence why I posted my previous reply.

As you pointed out, there are also other things to consider when creating such a plugin other than simply adding a field where you put the GMT offset in. And because of the nature of time offsets, it is as good as impossible to do everything automatically without much user input as it first was requested.

It indeed requires a lot of user input (filling in all the variables) and this input needs to be redone each year from scratch btw. But once this is done, it could run nicely.

But because of this, the question rises weither this is a good thing to do; the right way to follow... Isn't there a better method for all this? eg: instead of putting all those variables in, put 1 variable in connected to a website which does have all this info updated (DSTs) and check from there. One sush website is http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

This post was edited on 01-07-2006 at 05:49 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-07-2006 05:47 PM
grinch

Sure... requesting information from a pseudo-standardized source is one implementation... not one I'd be in favor of...  simply because of the tradeoffs... One that comes to mind is the dependency on a data source that could very easily go away. Another... data formats can be independently changed without notice.

I think that the basic time calculations are fairly straight forward - the time (without considering DST) is a predictable calculation from a known standard. DST is optionally applicable and when it is (applicable) it's basically plus or minus one hour from the current time depending on whether or not the date of the calculation falls inside or outside the DST window. The data storage requirements are relatively small...

You'd need:
   byte gmtOffHrs;                // range: 0 to 14 (hours)
   byte gmtOffMin;                // range: 0 or 30 (minutes)
   boolean plusMinus;          // 0 = +GMT, 1 = -GMT
   boolean useDST;              // 1 = DST,  0 = no DST
   unsigned long dstBegin;  // GMT timestamp when DST begins
   unsigned long dstEnd;     // GMT timestand when DST ends

I may have left something out... but I don't see any real advantage in requesting the data from an external source when the requirements for the calculation is so small...

I would disagree that the implementation would be difficult (I'm not saying it's trivial either). I also disagree that there is a "lot of user input" - I don't see it as any more than is required for a basic Windows installation... I also disagree that it would need to be re-entered every year... most DST windows have remained the same for years... but for the sake of argument let's assume that the dates do change... I don't see it as a show stopper.

01-07-2006 09:02 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: