What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » ADWare and Spyware

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
ADWare and Spyware
Author: Message:
CptAdvisor

O.P. ADWare and Spyware
Hi.
    I noticed that the submitter of the post "SPYWARE" was getting slagged off for saying that he found spyware after installing Messenger Plus. Being an experienced computer and internet administrator and having various certifications, I would like to let all of you know that downloading Messenger Plus from this website installs bundling software on your computer this will install potentially unwanted software onto your computer system such as AdWare and Spyware. The program is bundled with 3rd Party programs which will run on your system. At this time I cannot advise you on whether to uninstall the program. I have logged the program which will be further checked by a member of the Microsoft Certified Advisory Team and if any potentially unwanted software is found, the owner of this site will be contacted immediately. In the meantime, it's up to you whether you use the software or not.

Thanks
Member of the Internet Society
On security team.
01-05-2006 03:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: ADWare and Spyware
If you would have done your research more carefully you would have known that the spyware/adware you refer to comes from the "Sponsor". Installing this sponsor is optional. The user is free to not install this sponsor on every installation or upgrade.

Also, the sponsor can very easily be removed should you have installed it by mistake. Read How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor for detailed uninstall instructions.

If the sponsor will be installed depends on a very simple question whether the user accepts or refuses the installation of the sponsor:

[Image: mp360_sponsor1.gif]

What the sponsor does is explained in the Sponsor Program License Agreement which users must accept before the sponsor can be installed.

This post was edited on 01-05-2006 at 03:38 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-05-2006 03:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Please microsoft are aware of Messenger Plus! they have contact with the creator, both Microsoft anti spyware and the Messenger team are in some way involved with the software and the sponsor.

This is patchou's full time job and to give us a free program he needs to find someway to make profit :)
01-05-2006 04:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Sorry CptAdvisor, your research was to limited and didn't take into account the fact that it contains optional adware, and certainly not spyware.
Microsoft (both the Anti-Spyware and MSN Messenger development team) are in contact with the owner of Messenger Plus currently, and currently acknowledge Messenger Plus are perfectly safe, and containing only a small optional adware sponsor.

Thank you for taking an interest in helping computer users though.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
01-05-2006 04:23 PM
CptAdvisor

O.P. RE: ADWare and Spyware
This Messenger Plus program has been thoroughly scanned for spyware and adware. I would like to state that most "good" spyware and adware scanners will detect this software as potentially unwanted software, this is because, spyware scans will scan all the way through the installation files and will detect what would happen under all circumstances of installation types. We have scanned the program with top software used by Microsoft and as far as we can see, the program is "SAFE." The program however has been noted to be bundler software and a possible cause of Adware. Adware, can be safe or unsafe. In this case, it is safe. Messenger Plus, has not been created by Microsoft, it is 3rd party software. Please view this forum for more information http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=125198&SiteID=1 Microsoft have not Certified this 3rd Party as their partener and have nothing atall to do with them. I am also noticing that you said OPTIONAL ADWARE which amused me as no one would probably choose to have adware  installed on their computer under any circumstances.

I would also like to note that MSN Messenger Plus is a great add on for MSN messenger and don't let me stop you from using it. I review many websites which provide internet users with Microsoft Products and advise them whether the product is safe and whether the site can be trusted. This website has now been logged under Microsoft Records as a safe site and has been given certification by the Internet Society.

Thanks

This post was edited on 01-05-2006 at 04:42 PM by CptAdvisor.
01-05-2006 04:36 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CptAdvisor
Microsoft have not Certified this 3rd Party as their partener and have nothing atall to do with them.
Actually microsoft invited Patchou, the creator of plus, to redmond to discuss messenger plus :-/

quote:
The program however has been noted to be bundler software and a possible cause of Adware.
Isn't that what MSAS says? If so that top software you used is nothing more than a spyware removal tool.

01-05-2006 04:41 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
This Messenger Plus program has been thoroughly scanned for spyware and adware. I would like to state that most "good" spyware and adware scanners will detect this software as potentially unwanted software, this is because, spyware scans will scan all the way through the installation files and will detect what would happen under all circumstances of installation types. We have scanned the program with top software used by Microsoft and as far as we can see, the program is "SAFE." The program however has been noted to be bundler software and a possible cause of Adware. Adware, can be safe or unsafe. In this case, it is safe. Messenger Plus, has not been created by Microsoft, it is 3rd party software. Please view this forum for more information http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=125198&SiteID=1 Microsoft have not Certified this 3rd Party as their partener and have nothing atall to do with them.

Thanks

Wrong actually the uninstaller .exe for the adware is dected as it is by c2lop and most scanners pick it up via that way. ;)

edit: some of the posts in that thread were made by forum members and by some of the Messenger team who met up to discess certain things and Microsoft have been more than happy to help them and patchou with their needs :)

This post was edited on 01-05-2006 at 04:44 PM by absorbation.
01-05-2006 04:41 PM
CptAdvisor

O.P. RE: ADWare and Spyware
I do believe that no one is geting at what I am trying to say. MSN Messenger Plus is perfectly safe. I do not though understand why it is nescessery for Adware to be included in the product in the first place. Adware only installs on the computer if the user agrees. I do though think that this website should make it more clear to customers that the software comes with optional adware and that it is perfectly safe as many users may not understand why their spyware scanner is detecting such software such as the user who submitted the post "SPYWARE" and sounded very angry. I am not here to cause arguments on this website and to put people off downloading this program. I am here to ADVISE. To prevent any more problems happening and to stop misunderstanding, I think this topic should come to an end here.

Thanks
Security Committee

This post was edited on 01-05-2006 at 04:58 PM by CptAdvisor.
01-05-2006 04:54 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I do believe that no one is geting at what I am trying to say. MSN Messenger Plus is perfectly safe. I do not though understand why it is nescessery for Adware to be included in the product in the first place. Adware only installs on the computer if the user agrees. I do though think that this website should make it more clear to customers that the software comes with optional adware and that it is perfectly safe as many users may not understand why their spyware scanner is detecting such software such as the user who submitted the post "SPYWARE" and sounded very angry.

Thanks
Security Committee

Yes i do see your point, there are a few articles on the website, but patchou includes it so he can keep the product free otherwise he would need to either make us pay or get another job and limit work on the program :)

We do get alot of people complaining about spyware and getting facts wrong all the time, some worse than others and because of this patchou has made it more clear in the installer in the lastest 3.60 versions of the program ;)

Maybe the next step is to make it more clear on the website with a link in the main menu about the sponsor? :P

This post was edited on 01-05-2006 at 04:59 PM by absorbation.
01-05-2006 04:57 PM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I do not though understand why it is nescessery for Adware to be included in the product in the first place.

Making msgplus! takes time, and this is the way for Patchou to be able to make a little money off it.

EDIT : Argh.. too late..

This post was edited on 01-05-2006 at 04:58 PM by albert.
01-05-2006 04:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: