What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Server Problems (Receiving messages, and Online/Offline status)

Server Problems (Receiving messages, and Online/Offline status)
Author: Message:
Dominic

35 / Male / –
O.P. Server Problems (Receiving messages, and Online/Offline status)
Hi,

I know that many people, including myself, have been experiencing the server problems at the moment.

The MSN Messenger version that I am running is 7.5.0311

These problems include, but may not be limited to:
[list=1]
[*]Appearing offline to people in your list (even though your status is set to online), and still capable of sending and receiving messages to people.
[*]Appearing online to people, but unable to receive messages to them without first sending them a message.
[/list]
The problems may take characteristics of one or both of these.

To expand upon (1): Many of the times when logging in, you appear offline to everyone in your list, even though your actual status is set to online or any other status exluding Appear Offline. Obviously, because you are appearing offline, people cannot talk to you unless they already have a conversation window open to you (in which case they will not be aware of when you're online or not, and will not be sure if their messages will get to you.) This problem makes MSN quite useless if you want people to be able to talk to you without needing to talk to them first. It's like having your entire list blocked, but still be capable of talking to them (but not vice versa).

To expand upon (2): Some of the times you may login and actually appear online, but no one will be able to actually send you a message until you first start talking to them. There is a slight difference in this problem to (1) because people cannot actually start a conversation with you, whereas they can in (1) if they already have a window open with you. There has also been an experience of messages not getting delivered to you after no more than a couple of minutes; in order for people to be able to send you a message again, you'll need to talk to them again to refresh the chat session.

As you can see, and may have experienced yourself, these two problems make MSN practically useless, and extremely frustrating.

I have been doing some tests to see if there are any external programs that are causing this problem, and I'll show my results now.

Problems (1) and (2) both can still occur with Messenger Plus disabled, therefore it's easy to assume that Messenger Plus is responsible, however I have found a much bigger chance of (1) happening with Plus enabled. This might just be coincidence, or merely a catalyst to the server problem.

As stated above, if both problems occur without Messenger Plus being enabled, then we can safely discard any plugins?... I tested them anyway.

The main plugin in question is StuffPlug 2.2.397, which is a very suspicious candidate due to its ability to allow you to talk to blocked contacts - this is very similar behaviour to problem (1). However, I believe (1) still occured without StuffPlug (or Messenger Plus itself) being loaded. I have also had reports from certain people that they have experienced these problems without ever using StuffPlug in the past.

Mess.be's patch to actually change the MSN exe (mainly to remove adveritsement) seems to unaffect the occurance of either of these problems (to my knowledge - this still could do with testing).

So I believe that Messenger Plus is probably not to blame for these problems, (or at least not entirely). The MSN servers must be currently having problems, and hopefully will be resolved.

Can everyone please post their experiences with these problems, and anything you have discovered in relation to this. The MSN Messenger version itself may very well have an affect upon these problems.

Thank you. I hope this problem is soon resolved.
01-09-2006 07:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: Server Problems (Receiving messages, and Online/Offline status)
nice post

but theres nothing we can do
01-09-2006 07:31 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dominic

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Server Problems (Receiving messages, and Online/Offline status)
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
nice post

Was just thinking that maybe if we got anymore information I could submit this to Microsoft/MSN somehow (anyone suggest a way please? I can't seem to find their support anymore).

Are you experiencing the problems as well, toddy?
01-09-2006 07:34 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dominic
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
nice post

Was just thinking that maybe if we got anymore information I could submit this to Microsoft/MSN somehow (anyone suggest a way please? I can't seem to find their support anymore).

Are you experiencing the problems as well, toddy?

erm, mine seems to have fixed its self now

and i'm certain MS will know about the problems and will be trying to fix them as we speak
01-09-2006 07:42 PM
Roel

I have this problem too since a couple of weeks.
Very irritating.
When we'll know when this problem has solved?
01-10-2006 12:58 PM
Freeman

Same issue here. This seems to affect alot of people.
01-10-2006 08:55 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Server Problems (Receiving messages, and Online/Offline status)
quote:
Originally posted by Freeman

it more then likely will "alot of people", since its a server side issue 8-)
01-10-2006 08:57 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
When the promblem stops happening.

Also please post in the right forum next time :P Should be in MSN/Windows Messenger.
01-11-2006 05:26 AM
Freeman

RE: RE: Server Problems (Receiving messages, and Online/Offline status)
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
quote:
When the promblem stops happening.

Huh?
01-11-2006 06:27 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: