What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM Beta Signing Up Public?

WLM Beta Signing Up Public?
Author: Message:
Hüstich

– / Male / –
O.P. Shocked  WLM Beta Signing Up Public?
I went to check out http://ideas.live.com/ and I saw Sign Up on the Messenger Beta program. I singed out, and the link was still there!

So, can any more people confirm this?

EDIT: Yep, it's official! It have been announced at Mesenger Blog also.

This post was edited on 01-17-2006 at 09:31 AM by Hüstich.
[Image: hustich.png]
01-17-2006 09:28 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM Beta Signing Up Public?
quote:
Originally posted by Hüstich
I went to check out http://ideas.live.com/ and I saw Sign Up on the Messenger Beta program. I singed out, and the link was still there!

It came up about 4 or so days back ..... i think its just a link to register for consideration for the beta .... not the beta itself :P

Why would you need to sign up to the beta directly ..... you could directly make it a public beta eh ? :P
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-17-2006 10:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
dannychen

39 / Male / –
I saw the link today. Is it now consider open beta rather than a closed beta? I tried to key-in my email and apply and I doesn't got the invitation immediately.
01-17-2006 11:40 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
what its about is to help Microsoft test its server capabilities for there 180 Million Users, by allowing more people to signup, it spreads more users on the new server an allows Microsoft to see its capabilities thats what itrs for, im sure,
01-17-2006 11:45 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Inside Windows Live Messenger - [url
http://spaces.msn.com/members/MessengerSays/[/url] ]
  One of the motivations for limiting the number of early beta testers is to grow the scale of users slowly to ensure the new architecture is safe to deploy for all 180 million+ users. We hit our first target level for number of users last week and have now increased to the next target level.  In order to get there we're giving out more invitations...

Fill in your Hotmail address, select your country and you'll be added to the list for an upcoming round of invites.

This post was edited on 01-17-2006 at 12:27 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
01-17-2006 12:23 PM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Its still a closed / managed beta. This is basicially an "Invite Waiting List", when they have available invites to send out they'll send them out to the people highest on that list :).
Segosa is newb.
01-17-2006 12:27 PM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by Hüstich

It came up about 4 or so days back ..... i think its just a link to register for consideration for the beta .... not the beta itself :P

Why would you need to sign up to the beta directly ..... you could directly make it a public beta eh ? :P

If you think about it, there is a problem with making it public beta. It would nearly be impossible because the beta checks for CNI access, thus meaning two things would happen. 1. Removing making it check for CNI access, or 2. adding all .NET passports to the CNI access list, which would take forever.

quote:
Originally posted by dannychen
I saw the link today. Is it now consider open beta rather than a closed beta? I tried to key-in my email and apply and I doesn't got the invitation immediately.

Of course you won't get it immediately. It will take a few days or a week. It's a waiting list :p.
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
01-17-2006 01:30 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
adding all .NET passports to the CNI access list, which would take forever.
I realised that fact .... and well of the two options the later was the one that i chose ..... but couldnt they remove the whole protocol 13 ?? Since everyone is gonna use it .... just scrap it and keep it for further beta testing programs ??

Why add everyone to the list .... it would be easier to remove everyone from the list, tell everyone to redownload a newer version without the protocol.
When they want to start the next round of testing, make another list and add the protocol to that private /managed beta again :)

Atleast thats what i would have done 8-)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-17-2006 06:03 PM
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
I'm with John Anderton.
01-17-2006 07:20 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: WLM Beta Signing Up Public?
quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
If you think about it, there is a problem with making it public beta. It would nearly be impossible because the beta checks for CNI access
Nope... Why would that be a problem or nearly impossible?

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I realised that fact .... and well of the two options the later was the one that i chose ..... but couldnt they remove the whole protocol 13 ?? Since everyone is gonna use it .... just scrap it and keep it for further beta testing programs ??

Why add everyone to the list .... it would be easier to remove everyone from the list, tell everyone to redownload a newer version without the protocol.
When they want to start the next round of testing, make another list and add the protocol to that private /managed beta again :)

Atleast thats what i would have done 8-)
'The protocol' will never be removed.

'The protocol' is not what is checking for valid/subscribed emails. The protocol is the basis on what Messenger runs; how it talks to other clients.

It is exactly the new protocol which is being tested by this new Messenger (among the new GUI). Removing 'the protocol', as you put it, makes no sense at all, as all the work done and the new WLM would be for nothing.

What will be done on a later stage (when they know the servers and the protocol can handle all +180 million users) is opening up the beta for public. This can be done by:

1) Releasing a new beta version without any restriction/invite checks. Happens for example when there are also some bugfixes done together with this new stage of testing.

2) Keeping the version which exists at that time, thus not releasing a new beta version because there are no new bugs to fix, but removing the thing that checks for validation on their side (aka: always return "validated" when the messenger program calls home for validation upon signing in).

This post was edited on 01-17-2006 at 08:25 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-17-2006 08:21 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: