What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Windows XP Recovery Console HELP!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Windows XP Recovery Console HELP!
Author: Message:
Vazza

– / Female / –
O.P. Windows XP Recovery Console HELP!
Hey guys

Hoping that you can help me out here. I currently have a laptop that we are trying to repair, however we have hit a problem. We know that there are Windows files missing, so we have been trying to use the Windows Setup menu i.e. booting it from the recovery disk that came with the laptop, to repair the files. The problem is that is will get to the screen where it says hit enter to format, r to repair etc. but when we press any key, it just stops dead :s. We've tried using recovery points but they all come back incomplete

We've even tried using different Windows XP disks but the same happens with them. Can anyone help out? We've basically been given permission to do whatever to it (so the idea of throwing it out the window and claiming criminal damages is possible lol) so we've even tried formating it by selecting format in Windows, but to no avail.

It was originally taking...wait for it..... 45 minutes to boot so we originally thought a virus. Now we've removed everything program wise, its only 15 minutes (but that's the length of time mines take so to me that's normal).

We're running out of ideas, so I guess it's over to you guys.

Thanks in advance from all concerned

I'll never forget how lucky I was 7275 days, 12 hours, 21 minutes, 34 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
01-22-2006 09:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Windows XP Recovery Console HELP!
i dont know if this is possible but if you could open the laptop, remove the hard drive, connect it to a desktop(without any other hard drive connected) and use Dban to wipe everything out .. then you'd insert the hard drive back into the laptop and install windows from a normal windows cd

My doubt is if laptop hard drives connect by normal ide ports [Image: xso_huh.gif]

This post was edited on 01-22-2006 at 09:33 PM by Jhrono.
01-22-2006 09:32 PM
Vazza

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: Windows XP Recovery Console HELP!
If possible I want to avoid removing any components phically from the laptop.
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7275 days, 12 hours, 21 minutes, 34 seconds ago
01-22-2006 09:35 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
hmm.. i guess you can also use dban in the laptop as long as you can boot from a cd / floopy.. just burn dban into a cd / floopy and use it there then install windows.. will that work ?
01-22-2006 09:37 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
Can you boot the computer normally or in safe mode?

Case then try to do this -> go to start>run and type sfc /scannow

This will scan for missing windows files and will attempt to repair them, if it can't it will copy the file from the cd.
[Image: 1-0.png]

01-22-2006 10:08 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
Do you need to get any files off the PC, or are you just going to blow the whole lot away and start from scratch?

One alternative that has served me well in the past, is to use a Linux distro which boots and runs from CD. This could a root to getting access to the files etc on the HD without taking the drive out of the machine. 2 distros that spring to mind are Ubuntu and Knoppix (easily found on Mr G. Oogle ;) )

If you could give more details on what exactly you are trying to achieve, it might help to work out how best to do it :)
01-22-2006 10:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Vazza

– / Female / –
We copied the necessary files just in case we had to format anyways.

We'll give your idea a try Ezra and get back to you :)

I'll give the shortened version: We want to repair/replace the files that are missingso hopefully it will work. Failing that, we're doing a complete format and starting from scratch.

This post was edited on 01-22-2006 at 10:17 PM by Vazza.
01-22-2006 10:11 PM
Vazza

– / Female / –
I apologise for double posting, but I thought that instead of starting a new thread, I would add the problem here since it's related.

The laptop now boots up in 3 minutes so the the suggestion made by Ezra worked so thanks for that. The problem we now have is that when we boot the laptop we are presented with a screen that asks if we want to load Windows XP or to go to the Window XP Setup. It is automatically set on Windows XP setup and if we don't select it in time, it comes up saying that there is a missing file hal.dll (I think that is the right file). How do we stop this screen from appearing (i.e. to stop asking us to make the choice).

Also, how do you rid yourself of a partition on the hard drive?

Thanks once again
01-24-2006 08:07 PM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
How do we stop this screen from appearing (i.e. to stop asking us to make the choice).
Try doing this:

Start -> Run -> msconfig -> BOOT.INI -> Set Windows XP as a default boot source -> Set timeout to 1 second -> OK

This wont really get rid of the screen, but it will autoselect windows xp after one second.
quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
Also, how do you rid yourself of a partition on the hard drive?
Partition Magic can probably do this...

You can also insert your windows XP cd, and boot from it.
It has a partion manager too.

This post was edited on 01-24-2006 at 08:39 PM by Mike.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
01-24-2006 08:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vazza

– / Female / –
Is that the only way to remove a partition? We were asked to see if we could remove it so we could format the whole drive and do a fresh install but if is then don't worry
01-24-2006 08:50 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: