What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Windows XP Recovery Console HELP!

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Windows XP Recovery Console HELP!
Author: Message:
GroteSmurf

45 / Male / –
RE: Windows XP Recovery Console HELP!
right click on "my computer" and select "Manage". Then go to "Disk Management", select the partition you want to delete, right click again and select "Delete".

Concerning the boot menu: right click again on "my computer" and select properties. Go to the tab "Advanced" en click in the "Startup and Recovery" section on the button "Settings". In the section "Startup Settings" you can select the default OS from the list. After hitting apply, you can click on the "Edit" button to edit the boot.ini file by yourself. Remove the line, which mention the XP Setup and save the file. Now you pc should startup XP by default, without bothering you with a menu asking which OS you want to start :-).

Hope this helps!
01-27-2006 06:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
joemailey

38 / Male / –
RE: Windows XP Recovery Console HELP!
I'd like to add, Once your using windows xp after you've got files replaced etc.

it is very unstable and generally it comes up with more problems and stuff.

reason your get the coice between setup and default xp install is because you booted from CD and went whole way thru the options there for xp looks if its doing a new install.

I'd highly recommend that you format your laptop and start over again.

After stuff like whats happened your laptop will suffer preformance drop, and there will be other corrupted files about that will result in other stuff not working.

You have nothing to lose so why waste time patching a laptop that will result in a preformance drop??

Only reason you need to do that is if you have important stuff on it that you need from your posts you got of what you needed so just format it.

You can format by runnning thru the xp install.

it will take you to select which drive to install xp on but before you do that. select the C; drive and delete it usually dont by

hit D then takes you to another screen you hit L then you hit enter(some where along those lines)

select the unparititioned drive you just created press enter. select to format quick using NTFS.

and of you go just fill in what ever else is needed when it comes up.

CD key default Lang ,Lapop name and so on :-)

This post was edited on 01-27-2006 at 09:21 AM by joemailey.
01-27-2006 09:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vazza

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: Windows XP Recovery Console HELP!
Thanks guys but I think we've actually handed the laptop back for her to get a "professional" to fix it.

It was still hanging when we got into the XP setup and selected anything so we reckon that there is something else going on that we don't know about. We did what we could for her, probably making it worse, but hey, what can I say?

quote:
Originally posted by Mike

Try doing this:

Start -> Run -> msconfig -> BOOT.INI -> Set Windows XP as a default boot source -> Set timeout to 1 second -> OK

This wont really get rid of the screen, but it will autoselect windows xp after one second.

We tried this but the minimum number was 3 secs and even doing that didn't help.

I'll keep this for future reference just in case we get another case of it.

Once again thanks to all for your help
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7268 days, 11 hours, 18 minutes, 42 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
01-27-2006 12:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: