What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Weird problem, can anyone help please...

Weird problem, can anyone help please...
Author: Message:
kierant

Can you still feel the butterflies?

– / Male / –
O.P. Weird problem, can anyone help please...
When I try to change by desktop/wallpaper by right-clicking the desktop>Properties, I experience a strange error.

All of the tabs at the top (screensaver, themes, setting etc.) work fine, but when I select the Desktop tab, after a few seconds a get a Dr Watson Debugger error. All it says is something along the lines of 'Dr Watson Debugger has experienced a problem and will now close'.

This means that I cannot change my desktop using this method; but more annoyingly every time this happens I have to reboot because it freezes the properties window.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks
x

This post was edited on 02-10-2006 at 02:05 PM by kierant.
02-10-2006 11:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
kittymew

Bitten By A snowball in hell!

– / Female / –
RE: Weird problem, can anyone help please...
sorry for the delay ..i was just reading about this..in some notes my friend made though i cant find his source..( i had the same problem)and he gave me the notes.and the solution worked

you need to do a registry fix..do you have reg mechanic?..or do you have XoftSppy or NIS?
if so do a scan then a reg fix and clean..it should fix your problem.

This post was edited on 02-12-2006 at 09:28 PM by kittymew.
02-12-2006 09:27 PM
Ghost_Stalker

I will eat your unhappiness!

40 / Male / –
I had the same problem after installing uxtheme.dll, but it only happens if I try to scroll through the pictures. I'd say that the reg. fix would be good idea as well. Just make sure you backup your registry before doing the clean!
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
02-13-2006 10:02 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Dr Watson will anaylse a program which has crashed. It seems that Display Properties crashed, and so Dr Watson opened, but then Dr Watson itself has crashed.

I guess that it could be a corrupt file, and I'd reinstall Windows to fix that.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
02-14-2006 07:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
kierant

Can you still feel the butterflies?

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Weird problem, can anyone help please...
Thanks for the replies everyone...

quote:
sorry for the delay ..i was just reading about this..in some notes my friend made though i cant find his source..( i had the same problem)and he gave me the notes.and the solution worked

you need to do a registry fix..do you have reg mechanic?..or do you have XoftSppy or NIS?
if so do a scan then a reg fix and clean..it should fix your problem.

I downloaded Registry Mechanic which found rather a lot of registry errors, but it says I must register (hence pay) to fix the problems. Am I missing something here? And XoftSpy only found '2 unknown errors' so  I didn't delete them just incase.

quote:
I had the same problem after installing uxtheme.dll, but it only happens if I try to scroll through the pictures. I'd say that the reg. fix would be good idea as well. Just make sure you backup your registry before doing the clean!

Yeah sorry I didn't specify too well, it only happens to me too when I actually scroll through the pictures. What's uxtheme.dll and is it likely I installed that too?

quote:
I guess that it could be a corrupt file, and I'd reinstall Windows to fix that.

If I can't fix it with a registry scan I may well do, but it may be more hassle than it's worth...
02-14-2006 12:11 PM
Ghost_Stalker

I will eat your unhappiness!

40 / Male / –
uxtheme.dll is the Windows XP/2003/Vista theme dll. It controls what Windows themes and styles can be used, and what can't. There is a hacked version out there that allows you to use unsigned (ones that aren't approved by Microsoft). Unless you remember installing it, its very unlikely that you have the hacked version.

This post was edited on 02-14-2006 at 02:34 PM by WDZ.
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
02-14-2006 02:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: