What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » NEED HELP PROTECTING ROUTER ASAP

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
NEED HELP PROTECTING ROUTER ASAP
Author: Message:
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. NEED HELP PROTECTING ROUTER ASAP
As some of you may know, a thread was made by me in t & t saying I was gay and that I had just notified my parents of this. This is not true. After finding out that the post was made using this ip address I freaked out.

I need to protect my router. My router is a D-link DI-624 Wireless (but I don't use the wireless feature)

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.

edit: Turns out it's most probably a server side problem, or a script by -dt- so It's not my router. Sorry, was scared there.

This post was edited on 02-14-2006 at 11:38 PM by Lou.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
02-14-2006 10:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
RE: NEED HELP PROTECTING ROUTER ASAP
I doubt it has got something to do with your router :p. As other people had the same thing you had ;).
02-14-2006 10:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: NEED HELP PROTECTING ROUTER ASAP
quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
I doubt it has got something to do with your router :p. As other people had the same thing you had ;).
Well I need to be safe ASAP
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
02-14-2006 10:28 PM
Ghost_Stalker

I will eat your unhappiness!

40 / Male / –
RE: RE: NEED HELP PROTECTING ROUTER ASAP
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
quote:

Make sure that you have DMZ disabled on your router, make sure that you are using a decient encryption strength if your router has wireless. Don't open ports for no reason, or if you had to open a port for a program that isn't in use anymore, remove the forward. Use a firewall, disable remote administration to your router (Lets you access your router from outside your house). CHange your router password, disable SSID broadcast, um... *thinks* make sure you have the newest firmware for your router... anything else I missed guys?
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
02-14-2006 10:32 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Stalker
Make sure that you have DMZ disabled on your router, make sure that you are using a decient encryption strength if your router has wireless. Don't open ports for no reason, or if you had to open a port for a program that isn't in use anymore, remove the forward. Use a firewall, disable remote administration to your router (Lets you access your router from outside your house). CHange your router password, disable SSID broadcast, um... *thinks* make sure you have the newest firmware for your router... anything else I missed guys?
Most of that stuff I have no idea how to do seeing as this is a new router.
Messenger Stuff Forums
02-14-2006 10:34 PM
Ghost_Stalker

I will eat your unhappiness!

40 / Male / –
Might try calling DLink
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
02-14-2006 10:35 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
Just turn off the wireless if you don't use it :P
[Image: 1-0.png]

02-14-2006 10:36 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
quote:
Umm, don't go to dodgy sites that will have dodgy scripts that post stuff as you.
If you really feel like beeing a newb, ban yourself from the internet until wdz codes the hash into the posting form, then you will be safe ;)
02-14-2006 10:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Plik
quote:
quote:
Umm, don't go to dodgy sites that will have dodgy scripts that post stuff as you.
If you really feel like beeing a newb, ban yourself from the internet until wdz codes the hash into the posting form, then you will be safe ;)
Who says I went to a dodgy site with a dodgy script?

EDIT: Read first post. No more worries probably

This post was edited on 02-14-2006 at 11:42 PM by Lou.
Messenger Stuff Forums
02-14-2006 11:33 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
Who says I went to a dodgy site with a dodgy script?
Because when you think about it, both you can jaguar made the exact same thread, dt has made a script that can do this, and dt said that people where messing about with his scripts.
So lets consider the alternative.
Someone hacked both you and jaguar, just to post a thread where you come out of the closit, and the fact that there is a script that can do this also happens to be in use at the moment is just a co-incidence.

Did any forum members link you to a page on a forum members server around the time the thread was posted?
02-14-2006 11:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: