What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Windows Defender and MSG Plus

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Windows Defender and MSG Plus
Author: Message:
joemailey

38 / Male / –
RE: RE: Windows Defender and MSG Plus
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Don't know the technical background if the same engine is still used. But I guess so, just updated definition files.

Anyway, Microsoft Antispyware is indeed renamed to Windows Defender. Maybe because it does indeed likes to remove random applications instead of just removing spyware. Or maybe they renamed it to Windows Defender because it defends Windows' by allowing Remote Desktop while any VNC server is very evil. Or maybe they just renamed it because of the bad name in general they were building up. God knows.

Remember: This is the same software that thinks Symantec (Norton) Antivirus is a password stealing virus and corrupts Norton because of that so your precious system will not be protected anymore against viruses at all.

Norton sucks anyway, i stopped using it 2years ago uses too much system resources(Windows Xp SP2 Provides my firewall). I now use AVG free version. it works better than anything i have seen for home pc use AND its Free.

As for Windows Defender compared to ADaware 6 SE, adaware SE sucks. you think windows Defender is bad. Become ICT support technician you will really see how bad Adaware is, the amount of times i've had to fix Machines because Adaware remove SYSTEM DLL's.

As for Windows defender i like it picks up everything spyware are potentially harmful installed programs. E-donkey an stuff.

once you learn how to use the inorge feature life will be fine :-)

Like i have it set to always inorge E- Donkey so after each test doesnt pick it up now :-) Also same With plus etc.

This post was edited on 02-16-2006 at 10:00 AM by joemailey.
02-16-2006 10:00 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: Windows Defender and MSG Plus
quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
As for Windows Defender compared to ADaware 6 SE, adaware SE sucks. you think windows Defender is bad. Become ICT support technician you will really see how bad Adaware is, the amount of times i've had to fix Machines because Adaware remove SYSTEM DLL's.

how could it remove System dll's?  i use Adaware SE Professional, never had a problem with it,
02-16-2006 10:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
joemailey

38 / Male / –
i've no Idea But its happen on a number of occassions, i've spent many nights repairs and reinstalling windows xp on friends machines.
Maybe people were installing stuff that changed there DLL's are modified them and thats why they were remove.

Now they just use MSAS/WD. Seem to enjoy it, as they can set it to inorge items/allow items.

I use to be big fan of Adaware, Use to use it on every system we have in work. Which i had the fun of installing. Soon it was replaced by MSAS/WD.

TBH Spyware :-| i never get any now that i been aware of what to look for and stuff, i don't even get viruses anymore(unless i getting no CD crack etc. but AVG picks it up striaght away.)
02-16-2006 10:58 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
set it to inorge items/allow items
its spelt ' ignore' not 'inorge'

iv'e never used MSAS/Windows Defender an never will, i

This post was edited on 02-16-2006 at 11:03 AM by Hank.
02-16-2006 11:03 AM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
Windows Defender is probably gonna be built in to VISTA so if you upgrade you probably will :^)

Window Onecare(sucks) might be built in to vista one or the other.
02-16-2006 11:07 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Norton sucks anyway
I'm not a fan of Norton either, but that isn't a reason for Microsoft to label it as virus and delete te installation.

quote:
As for Windows defender i like it picks up everything spyware are potentially harmful installed programs. E-donkey an stuff. Once you learn how to use the inorge feature life will be fine
I see you work and ICT. I work/study in ICT too and understand how people like us are able to decide if we really should remove the things that scanning software picks up or if we should just consider it a friendly warning. But Microsoft markets this software especially at unexperienced users. People who are not always sure what to do and tend to click next > next > next > ok without reading things. Those people end up with software removed or even corrupted and have no idea why. Like Patchou said it:
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The problem though is tht its detected in Full Scan and this stupid new beta of theirs do not show you the list of any of the software detected now, except if you click on a special link.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-16-2006 12:17 PM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
i was in middle of typing long post but decided i can't be assed lol
due to the fact that it doesnt really matter what we use or what we do in the end some one who no's what there doing always has to come along an fix it lol

oh yea does the term beta ring a bell i personnally forgot it was but since we're all waiting for certian beta, i guess everyone would realize

MSAS/WD is in beta so bugs for this and bugs for that.

maybe M$ is trying to ruin everything so we will al buy there products lmao

02-16-2006 12:31 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
MSAS/WD is in beta so bugs for this and bugs for that.
That shouldn't be an excuse for major mistakes like the Norton antivirus example. There are more mistakes like that they made before... like detecting www.startpagina.nl (the most popular startpage in the Netherlands) as a possible browser hijacker page. That ended up in a lawsuit and Microsoft needed to pay loads of money for it.

It would be fine when it was a closed beta, but it isn't. Many people rely on their software. There are enough people who don't know what beta means and don't know any better then "Microsoft is a trusted company, so I can trust all their software blindly".
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-16-2006 12:46 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The thing is thanks to programs like this people actually think safe programs and websites are going to break their computer or steal there personal details, when in reality they are not.
02-16-2006 01:06 PM
deejaybet

34 / Male / –
nope ur rong der.. close but rong.. well at the mo u r neways... msn has software dat fights virus's an is a firewall wif a backup fing.. next to b added to the software is spyware removal... perhaps dey will make both products into one.. hu nos lol

its called: windows live onecare
03-02-2006 10:16 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: