What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Security Flaw?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Security Flaw?
Author: Message:
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Security Flaw?
AFAIK a buffer overflow error has nothing to do with hardware or amount of programs running etc.  It just normally when a variable is set with more data that it can hold.  Although I may be wrong....

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by Wikipedia
In computer security and programming, a buffer overflow, or buffer overrun, is an anomalous condition where a process attempts to store more data in a buffer than there is memory allocated for it. The result is that the extra data overwrites adjacent memory locations. The overwritten data may include other buffers, variables and program flow data.

Buffer overflows may cause a process to crash or produce incorrect results. They can be triggered by specific inputs which may be designed to execute arbitrary, possibly malicious, code, or to make the program operate in an unintended way. As such, buffer overflows cause many software vulnerabilities. Sufficient bounds checking by either the programmer or the compiler, can prevent buffer overflows.

This post was edited on 02-18-2006 at 04:42 PM by Dempsey.
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
02-18-2006 04:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
emameme

ok, but how I can resolv this problem? I can resolv this problem or not? if i can how? Thank you.
02-18-2006 04:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Security Flaw?
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
AFAIK a buffer overflow error has nothing to do with hardware or amount of programs running etc.  It just normally when a variable is set with more data that it can hold.  Although I may be wrong....
Absolutely correct

You can have a buffer overrun on the smallest of applications on the biggest of computers or vice versa. Hardware, etc have nothing todo with this (directly), it is a "simple" programming bug.

quote:
Originally posted by emameme
ok, but how I can resolv this problem? I can resolv this problem or not? if i can how? Thank you.
File it as a bug report to MSN:
http://messenger.msn.com/help/contactus.aspx

----

(note that with that same extremely immature and fucking inresponsible mass group convo, I had no buffer overflow when I was added by some extremely immature and fucking inresponsible person; sorry for the cursing, but such things really piss me off and IMO that fucking little twat should be banned from participating into anything)

This post was edited on 02-18-2006 at 05:33 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-18-2006 05:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(note that with that same extremely immature and fucking inresponsible mass group convo, I had no buffer overflow when I was added by some extremely immature and fucking inresponsible person; sorry for the cursing, but such things really piss me off and IMO that fucking little twat should be banned from participating into anything)

(you mean that same extremely immature and fucking inresponsible group convo that happened nine months ago?)

This post was edited on 02-18-2006 at 05:54 PM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-18-2006 05:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Security Flaw?
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

(you mean that same extremely immature and fucking inresponsible group convo that happened nine months ago?)

No I mean that stupid group convo that happened yesterday and was triggered by guess who, smartass...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-18-2006 06:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: