What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM Caching?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
WLM Caching?
Author: Message:
teddytim

I'm hungry for more!

44 / Male / –
O.P. WLM Caching?
Does WLM cache display names and display pics?

Ive noticed that sometimes the display names will randomly change back and forth even though the contact isnt changing it.

i have verified a contact as showing one display name in WLM while the same contact has a different display name in MSN 7.5, verified on another computer on someone elses MSN Messenger.

The display name shown in WLM is usually an old display name, while in Messenger 7.5 shows a newer one. I know its new cause i asked the contact.
02-18-2006 05:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM Caching?
Well it obviously caches names in memory, but i'm not sure if it does otherwise. I know display pictures are cached in the IE temp folder.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-18-2006 06:09 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
The difference of display names could be caused by servers' lags.

It makes sense if the old display names are on WLM since WLM 8.0.03xx uses newer machines, and many people believe that the WLM developer team decided to use older machines for the newest WLM build because of the reliability of the newer ones.
Registered 7650 days, 12 hours, 7 minutes, 7 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

02-18-2006 07:16 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
there should be a folder called messengercache in your %Application Data folder. This is all of messenger's cache. I belive it includes nicknames and contact info too.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
02-18-2006 07:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
correct, since WLM the contactlist is also cached (this wasn't the case in previous versions) so that in case the servers couldn't be contacted for some reason, you still have access to your contactlist.

Only when the servers are contacted successfully the contactlist is updated (this normally happens in an instant, but as you might have experienced, in some cases it might take longer and you will get such "effects")

PS: display pics and custom emoticons have always been cached

This post was edited on 02-18-2006 at 10:56 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-18-2006 10:55 AM
tjh2k6

35 / Male / –
i have looked everywhere for the WLM cache of DP's and emos but i have not been able to find out where it is, it doesnt appear to be in IE temp files anymore like with previous versions. anyone have any ideas??

thanks tom
02-18-2006 03:17 PM
LipoToid

LipoToid

RE: RE: WLM Caching?
quote:
Originally posted by tjh2k6
i have looked everywhere for the WLM cache of DP's and emos but i have not been able to find out where it is, it doesnt appear to be in IE temp files anymore like with previous versions. anyone have any ideas??

thanks tom

Try looking in a DWORD in a registry setting. More than likely, encrypted at that.

Edit: There is also another data type in the registry named QWORD though it is not at all common. This is similar to DWORD except it can hold 64 bits (double the size of a DWORD value).

Most don't understand that it is very common to stuff array structs into a DWORD or QWORD for later retrieval.

And if that's not enough there is a possibility that this action is dynamically allocated at various checksum balancing define by the Digital Signature. PPL, Microsoft is going to lock down on the resource dll support for WLM futures along with virutal memory constraints with the support for that extended checksum balancing. This seems as a Vista requirement which obviously is the Target for the main stay of WLM. Microsoft's has with the WLM an architecture that will offer defensives at any instance to depreciate the WLM of said user making it almost impossible for a developer to dance with the concurrency issues. IMO

Happy Hunting:D

Respectfully,
LipoToid

This post was edited on 02-18-2006 at 07:27 PM by LipoToid.
02-18-2006 06:38 PM
tjh2k6

35 / Male / –
RE: RE: RE: WLM Caching?
quote:
Originally posted by LipoToid
quote:

thanks tom

Try looking in a DWORD in a registry setting. More than likely, encrypted at that.

Edit: There is also another data type in the registry named QWORD though it is not at all common. This is similar to DWORD except it can hold 64 bits (double the size of a DWORD value).

Most don't understand that it is very common to stuff array structs into a DWORD or QWORD for later retrieval.

And if that's not enough there is a possibility that this action is dynamically allocated at various checksum balancing define by the Digital Signature. PPL, Microsoft is going to lock down on the resource dll support for WLM futures along with virutal memory constraints with the support for that extended checksum balancing. This seems as a Vista requirement which obviously is the Target for the main stay of WLM. Microsoft's has with the WLM an architecture that will offer defensives at any instance to depreciate the WLM of said user making it almost impossible for a developer to dance with the concurrency issues. IMO

Happy Hunting:D

Respectfully,
LipoToid

Can anyone explain this in simple terms to me im a newbie and do not understand, i know how to access registry and make a few changes to things, but what am i looking for specifically?

thanks tom
02-19-2006 01:00 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: WLM Caching?
quote:
You can't store DP's in a DWORD or even a QWORD.

quote:
Not quite correct. You can only store 32 and 64 bits respectivly in DWORDs and QWORDs, far less than needed for even a simply data structure.

quote:
PPL, Microsoft is going to lock down on the resource dll support for WLM futures along with virutal memory constraints with the support for that extended checksum balancing.
Nothing to do with OP's question though.

quote:
Can anyone explain this in simple terms to me im a newbie and do not understand, i know how to access registry and make a few changes to things, but what am i looking for specifically?
Forget about all that, it doesn't have anything todo with what you asked for.... just a fancy way of saying that a lot has changed in WLM :p

Anyways...

The Display Pictures of other contacts are also stored (when they are retrieved) in a cache folder, just like in previous versions. In previous versions this was in your Temporary Internet Files folder.

See CookieRevised reply to 'Where does MSN stores his stuff'

With WLM this has changed and moved to a subfolder named "MessengerCache" of your Temporary Windows Folder (which is often C:\Windows\Temp or simply C:\Temp).

There you'll find (among other things like the contact's cards for example) the contact's display pictures as a PNG files (but without the extension "PNG" and with a hashed filename).

Though, remember that since WLM is still in beta the location or method of storing (although I doubt the latter will chance) might change in futur updates.

This post was edited on 02-19-2006 at 01:49 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-19-2006 01:44 AM
LipoToid

LipoToid

CookieRevised,

quote:
You can't store DP's in a DWORD or even a QWORD.
Completely wrong dude ! Have you ever personally worked with binary structures being embedded within the context of a persistant states ?

Maybe you should explain to the audience the COM IPersistent state of support for the WLM Messenger that is so, so obvious within the registry system that contributes to the sync and cyclic nature of dynamic data replacement as whole.

The very nature of the DWORD notation when one hasn't used such facilities as I stated would suggest suggest a novices attempt to explain away with verbose junk software science just to be as you are always are condescending, especially, if you haven't developed with those coding operations personally.

CookieRevised, have you ever tried 1/2 of the statements that you make concerning your expertise ?

I would have thought that a person with your talents would have solved the DP being replaced dynamically by now.

Oh ya, your missing something that is a signature for WLM for caching within the WLM that I doubt seriously you will find.
Even with your explaination for the directory for WLM cache.
How sad !

LipoToid

This post was edited on 02-19-2006 at 02:15 AM by LipoToid.
02-19-2006 02:08 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: