What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » CS:Source offline and server questions.

CS:Source offline and server questions.
Author: Message:
.Fusion

O.P. CS:Source offline and server questions.
Hi all,

As the title suggests, i'm wondering if you can play CS:Source offline. I know this sorta defeats the purpose of an internet game, but we have a download limit, and i'm pretty sure it'd take it over the top.
I know it would have to be against bots, and you'd have to login on steam. but after i've done that, could i play offline? Disconnect from the net completely and carry on playing?

Also, if i want to play custom maps, can i do this offline against the bots? or would i have to find a server with those maps installed?

Would i be able to set up a server on a local network. So just add another box to the LAN, install the software, add a few custom maps, and then play against the bots, and anyone else on the LAN, over the server?

To set up the server, and play on it, will i only need one steam account? Would the server need a login too?

If i do set up a server, will i need to give it a net connection, or can that stay offline the whole time (as long as it's only me playing it over the network)?
Roughly what specs will it need? High ram, medium CPU, enough space. But it shouldn't need a graphics card, should it?

Sorry about all the questions, i just don't wanna waste £30 on CS only to realise that to play it i need to eat all our bandwidth.

Thanks,

PS: i have googled, but i found it quite hard to word my querys (as you may guess by the repetitive-ness of that post)
02-19-2006 01:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: CS:Source offline and server questions.
You can, just login and save your password, that will enable the 'Off-line' mode. Then, close steam and disconnect from the internet and run steam again. If you saved your password, the steam icon will now have a red thingie on top of it (the one on the taskbar)..

quote:
Originally posted by .Fusion
Also, if i want to play custom maps, can i do this offline against the bots?
Yes, because the source engine creates waypoints by itself (guidelines for bots).. Yet sometimes in custom maps, the waypoints created by the game are pretty bad, so i suggest you get waypoints for the maps you want to play from the internet first.. The maps which come with cs, already have excellent waypoints included, so you can play those with no harm.
quote:
Would i be able to set up a server on a local network. So just add another box to the LAN, install the software, add a few custom maps, and then play against the bots, and anyone else on the LAN, over the server?
Yes, you just need to have 'Source Dedicated Server' under your tools menu on your steam account.
quote:

To set up the server, and play on it, will i only need one steam account? Would the server need a login too?
If you're playing on a LAN, you can use only one login for every single player, just login and save the password just like you did to enable the offline mode, and then start steam offline. 1 Account will do for infinite computers(if you're offline that is)
quote:
If i do set up a server, will i need to give it a net connection, or can that stay offline the whole time (as long as it's only me playing it over the network)?
Roughly what specs will it need? High ram, medium CPU, enough space. But it shouldn't need a graphics card, should it?
If you set up a LAN server, you don't need a internet connection :).
About the specs, well, to be honest with you, i really don't know, but i guess it doesnt really need a really good pc.. Oh and it doesnt require a good graphics card, cause it doesnt do any rendering.

Hope i could help :)
02-19-2006 01:38 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: CS:Source offline and server questions.
offline mode for all online only games produced by steam/valve means that you can host a server and play with only bots or on a lan
02-19-2006 03:23 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: