What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » alternate mode doesnt stick

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
alternate mode doesnt stick
Author: Message:
kylde

O.P. alternate mode doesnt stick
I prefer to run a "lightweight" xp, so am trying to make M+ ONLY load when MSN does, but every time I set alternate in prefs following this advice:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=42...d=439626#pid439626
on reboot M+ is gone from MSN's menus, but is listed in taskmanager, and killing and re-running M+ does nothing, M+ loads into taskmanager, but doesnt re-attach itself to MSN until the repair window pops up. If I disable  the repair window, I have to reinstall M+ over itself to get access to prefs etc. If I run repair, default mode is enabled all over again. What's the reg key  to disable/enable alternate mode? xp pro, latest M+ & MSN, admin rights, no registry-monitoring apps interfering at all ..

Regards

Kylde
02-21-2006 02:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
brian

– / Male / –
RE: alternate mode doesnt stick
If you kill and reopen MP! -- You have to restart MSNMsgr after restarting MP! -- It hooks to it when MSNMsgr starts, so you can't just start it while MSNMsgr is running.
02-21-2006 08:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
the Messenger Plus task in the tasklist isn't "really" messenger plus, all it does is loads the "real" messenger plus into msn messenger. The alternate mode doesn't use the task, it just tells windows to automatically load the "real" messenger plus into msn messenger. So, if you're using the alternate method, you should get no msgplus.exe task or recovery dialog.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-21-2006 08:47 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kylde

O.P. RE: RE: alternate mode doesnt stick
quote:
Originally posted by nvez
If you kill and reopen MP! -- You have to restart MSNMsgr after restarting MP! -- It hooks to it when MSNMsgr starts, so you can't just start it while MSNMsgr is running.

Doesn't work :( Here's how *I* understand the instructions, and they seem to me to be exactly what this forum (and your reply) SAYS to do:

1. M+ - prefs - general -miscellaneous - attach method = alternate
2. click apply (or ok)
3. ctrl-alt-delete - kill M+
4. Close MSN
5. Launch M+ (nothing seems to happen, but it's listed in taskmanager)
6. Launch MSN

MSn opens with NO M+ enabled, after a few seconds (10, 15?) the M+ recovery window opens with "repair and restart messenger (recommended)" selected. Clicking OK closes and re-opens MSN with M+ enabled, but if I go back into preferences the attach method has reset back to default and M+ is STILL listed in msconfig!

Regards

kylde
02-21-2006 09:01 PM
kylde

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
the Messenger Plus task in the tasklist isn't "really" messenger plus, all it does is loads the "real" messenger plus into msn messenger. The alternate mode doesn't use the task, it just tells windows to automatically load the "real" messenger plus into msn messenger. So, if you're using the alternate method, you should get no msgplus.exe task or recovery dialog.

And what you describe as "shouldn't happen" is exactly what I'm seeing :(

Kylde
02-21-2006 09:03 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by kylde
MSn opens with NO M+ enabled, after a few seconds (10, 15?) the M+ recovery window opens with "repair and restart messenger (recommended)" selected. Clicking OK closes and re-opens MSN with M+ enabled, but if I go back into preferences the attach method has reset back to default and M+ is STILL listed in msconfig!

You'd need to restart after starting alternate mode. Also, I don't think you need to start msgplus. In fact, I think you should disable it in msconfig.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-21-2006 09:03 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kylde

quote:
You'd need to restart after starting alternate mode. Also, I don't think you need to start msgplus. In fact, I think you should disable it in msconfig.

Boy oh boy these instructions are confusing (and I'm a pc engineer!). Please tell me what part of my 6 steps that I posted are wrong or irrelevant? On an aside, I dont understand why the alternate method isnt the default?

Kylde
02-21-2006 09:09 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: RE: RE: alternate mode doesnt stick
quote:
Originally posted by kylde
Doesn't work :( Here's how *I* understand the instructions, and they seem to me to be exactly what this forum (and your reply) SAYS to do:

1. M+ - prefs - general -miscellaneous - attach method = alternate
2. click apply (or ok)
3. ctrl-alt-delete - kill M+
4. Close MSN
5. Launch M+ (nothing seems to happen, but it's listed in taskmanager)
6. Launch MSN

The correct method:
Plus! alternate hooking mode:
- Plus > preferences > miscellaneous..under Messenger Plus! Automatic Recovery Options, set it to "Alternate".
- Reboot
- Start MSNM and check if it's still in alternate mode
- Ctrl alt del to go to taskmanager and in processeslist end msgplus.exe
- Now restart MSNM and see if Plus! appears in the menu, if so "alternate mode" is working fine.
- After checking you can remove Plus! from startuplist by going to: start > run ..type: msconfig <enter>, go to startuplist and uncheck MsgPlus (this step isn't really needed, if need be Plus! will switch to "Allternate" by itself, just check if it's still set to "Alternate" every now and then).

Alternate mode is only available in Windows 2000/XP. When you set hooking to "alternate" Messenger Plus! will be started when you start MSN Messenger (or Windows Messenger). Make sure you got no programs running preventing writing in the registry whilst setting it to "alternate mode" (an example of this sorta program is AdWatch, part of AdAware SE).

Spot the difference.

Alternately you can set the hookingmethod to "default-forced" (with other OS'es or when alternate just doesn't work...it should tho) or place Messenger Plus in your startup menu/folder.

I think this answers both questions, what's wrong and why it isn't default (not possible on all OS'es).

This post was edited on 02-21-2006 at 09:49 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
02-21-2006 09:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
kylde

O.P. RE: alternate mode doesnt stick
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
- Plus > preferences > miscellaneous..under Messenger Plus! Automatic Recovery Options, set it to "Alternate".
- Reboot
- Start MSNM and check if it's still in alternate mode

No can do, after reboot, M+ is running in task manager, but if I run the exe/shortcut nothing happens AT ALL, so I can't check it's mode, (I did say this in the original post), I have to re-install M+ OVER itself to gain access to it's interface.  If I run MSN after trying (and failing) to check M+'s attach mode, MSN runs with no M+ features AT ALL, even though it's listed in task manager? If I close M+ in task manager, THEN run MSN, M+ still doesn't "attach" itself

Regards

Kylde
02-21-2006 09:59 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
okay. first, set it into alternate mode. next, kill msn messenger and messenger plus' processes. then, open up msconfig and scrap messenger plus from it. finally, reboot. it should work.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.