What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Movieland

Movieland
Author: Message:
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
O.P. Movieland
I kinda got scammed by movieland. Somebody in my house applied for a free trial to the service, and they download something onto your computer... and I think it's a registry key. Cause no matter what I can't get rid of it.

Now the scam... We had to cancel before the free trial was over, even though we've never used it, except for the one time... And nobody actually remembers downloading it.

It's not spyware or adware... It's not found in any of those programs to be it... So I'm trying to delete everything about it I can in that I can find in all my files/folders... But it still pops up... that's why I think it's a registry key...

Anybody help me get rid of it?

EDIT:. . . Okay... so Now I found some stuff that I'm pretty sure had to do with the things popping up asking us for payment... I deleted them... so they might be gone... But still any help to make sure it's not a registry key?

This post was edited on 02-22-2006 at 01:18 PM by qgroessl.
02-22-2006 01:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Movieland
To get rid of Movieland you need to do the following:

Download the removal tool: link

Then read the following...

quote:
Manually Cancel Account and Stop Payment Reminders
To cancel your account and stop payment reminders, we will need your Customer ID Number. Heres how you can retrieve your Customer ID number:

1.  Click your 'Start' menu button.
2.  Click 'Run'
3.  In the text box, enter this: regedit
4.  Hit 'OK'. This will open your registry editor.

VERY IMPORTANT: BE VERY CAREFUL. DO NOT CHANGE OR DELETE ANYTHING IN YOUR REGISTRY AS IT MAY HARM YOUR COMPUTER AND RENDER IT INOPERABLE. IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THIS PLEASE HAVE SOMEONE HELP YOU WITH THIS.

5.  Navigate to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MEDIAPIPE > Prefs
6.  In the right pane you will see a number of keys. Double-Click the key labeled GUID
7.  Right click the selected text and select 'Copy'
     Close the 'Edit String' dialog and the Registry Editor
8.  Paste the number you copied below to continue (you can right click the box and select 'Paste' to paste it in the box):
Source: http://www.movieland.com/customerservice/cshelp.cgi

Paste the number into the box on the website above.

Hopefully that's sorted everything :D
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
02-22-2006 04:36 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Movieland
Thanks... So far nothing's popped up from them since I've done it... So hopefully it worked!...

BTW... For some reason I couldn't get into that customer service section either.... I kept getting a 404... But it worked when you linked it for some reason?
02-22-2006 11:55 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Movieland
quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
Thanks... So far nothing's popped up from them since I've done it... So hopefully it worked!...

Good news :D

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
BTW... For some reason I couldn't get into that customer service section either.... I kept getting a 404... But it worked when you linked it for some reason?

I was getting problem's in firefox, I had to access it through Internet Explorer. But got there in the end.

Glad it's all fixed now.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
02-22-2006 11:56 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: