What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Unattended Install Startup Script

Unattended Install Startup Script
Author: Message:
brettuk

O.P. Unattended Install Startup Script
Hey,

I'm having probs with the Messenger Plus unattended install..

I have a group policy object set to run a series of scripts which call other scripts etc and that all works when the pc starts up (before anybody logs in), but when the Messenger Plus script opens it starts the install (START /WAIT \\path\to\msnplus-362.exe /SilentInstallNoSponsor) and after a fewminutes hard drive activity stops.. and network activity stops... it just stays there.

It works fine when running manually (ie when logged in)...

So what am I doing wrong?

note... Messenger Plus does seem to be installed when the script times out... but why is it hanging?

This post was edited on 02-25-2006 at 01:51 AM by brettuk.
02-25-2006 01:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: Unattended Install Startup Script
I really don't know why you could have this problem, however, the setup procedure of Messenger Plus! Live has changed so maybe you'll have more luck with it.

In theory, the existing setup should work as well though, maybe it's a problem with the temporary directory when accessed through your scripts? the setup extracts many things there and execute the real installer once extracted.
[Image: signature2.gif]
02-25-2006 04:41 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
brettuk

O.P. RE: Unattended Install Startup Script
Hey,

Well If I dont /wait for it, then the script finishes with Plus installing in the bg (hdd activity) and it seems to be fine... so it seems as if the installation isn't terminating itself properly..

Thanks for the help (looking forward to Messenger Plus! Live ;) - Couldn't use Live without Plus lol)
Brett
02-25-2006 07:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Unattended Install Startup Script
Make sure there isn't a message box popping up saying (test it; check your processes):
Messenger Plus! has been installed succesfully, however, the update requires a reboot. Please restart your computer as soon as possible to complete he installation.

I've tested the /silentinstallnopsonsor parameter and only once there was still a popup (bug?). As long as this popup is there the installer is running (and thus the start.exe /wait command will not return).

-

On another note, read carefully the help from the command start.exe. It behaves differently in different situations (eventhough you have the /wait parameter specified). This different behaviour depends if you have the command extentions enabled or not, if you run the command from the commandline or from a script, etc...

This post was edited on 02-26-2006 at 03:17 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-26-2006 03:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: