What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Phones - Dial out but not in

Phones - Dial out but not in
Author: Message:
Ghost_Stalker

I will eat your unhappiness!

40 / Male / –
O.P. Phones - Dial out but not in
OK! Here's the dealie-o

I wired up the phones in a house. This house is now finished and the owners moved in today! After some slight confusion with hooking up the phones, the phones work. HOWEVER when dialing to an outside number, phone works perfectly, but when someone tries to call the house, it just rings and rings then goes to voice mail!

There is only one phone working in the house (temp. phone fix until I can rewire the jacks in the morning) and it is connected to the main line coming into the house. The line is clear and sounds great! The house owners took their phone number with them from the old house to the new house. Is there any idea why they cannot recieve calls?
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
03-04-2006 05:53 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Phones - Dial out but not in
A) Why do we have phone problems here on the forum :P You could call the company or something :S

B) Did you check the settings for the voice mail ??

C) When you said ...
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Stalker
it just rings and rings then goes to voice mail!
Isnt that what it should do if you dont pick up your phone :P
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
03-04-2006 06:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ghost_Stalker

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Phones - Dial out but not in
A) there are a lot of smart people here, so I thought I'd give it a shot! I'm calling the phone company in the morning

B) Voice Mail settings don't matter in this case

C) The phone in the house doesn't ring at all.
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
03-04-2006 06:14 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
C) The phone in the house doesn't ring at all.
The first two points were just for fun ....
I thought it rings .... *-) Erm ..... could you just check the buzzer in the phone. It has happened to a lot of my friends. You know the part (speaker) which actually produces the ringing sound :)

That is what happens usually. Just check it out. If you can see some broken wirs then just solder then back to the speaker. Else you can contact the company or get a replacement for the phone itself :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
03-04-2006 06:23 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Instead of checking the ringer in the phone in the house, dial to the house, let it ring for a bit (but not long enough for it to go to voicemail), and pick up the phone in the house.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
03-04-2006 08:32 AM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
I know I live in the United Kingdom and you in Canada, but one of my relatives had an identical problem; and phone exchanges work virtually the same in both countries.

The phone could dial out, but not in. What sparked this problem off is unknown, but it was a problem with the local exchange.
The way to check this problem for sure is to go to the phone connected to the line that is playing up. Then dial your own number, normally this will give you an engaged tone (or busy signal of some sort), however if the phone continues to sound like it's ringing somewhere the problem is with the connection between your phone line and an exchange. Since the exchange will be property of the phone company you should contact them and ask them to repair the problem. It isn't that much of an uncommon problem, happens from time to time.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
03-04-2006 12:47 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ghost_Stalker

40 / Male / –
Thanks guy, I've suspected that it was something with the phone company. I'm going to be calling them today to find out whats up.

As for the phone, its a brand new cordless phone. They have caller ID and nothing shows up on the display when someone calls the house! I've tried calling out when someone's calling the house and it works.
03-04-2006 02:25 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Thanks guy, I've suspected that it was something with the phone company. I'm going to be calling them today to find out whats up.

As for the phone, its a brand new cordless phone. They have caller ID and nothing shows up on the display when someone calls the house! I've tried calling out when someone's calling the house and it works.
My mom had the same problem. Except her it would ring, but when she answered it would cut off mthe connection. So she couldn't recieve calls. She called the company and they came and rewired some stuff.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
03-04-2006 02:59 PM
Ghost_Stalker

40 / Male / –
GREAT NEWS!!!

The phones in the house work! And they work great! I rewired all the phones in the house (along with the network because that had some troubles.. but thats a different story). But after rewireing everything, we still couldn't recieve calls. I called Bell and placed a trouble ticket with them. I wanted to see if there was a voice mail message left for them, if the dial-tone would be different. Thats when weird things started happening. The phone cut out then a message asking to enter a password. I hung up, called the house from my cell phone and the phones in the house rang. a minute after hanging up, Bell called and informed me that they fixed the problem, they hadn't fully initalized the number. So, now the phones work, and the network works (to the best of my knowledge, still waiting on a network tester) and I'm happier than I was before. Cable is still messed up...

Thanks for all your help guys!
03-04-2006 09:27 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: