What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » MOV converting question.

MOV converting question.
Author: Message:
marissa
Veteran Member

ahaha

34 / Female / –
O.P. MOV converting question.
For the past few hours i've been trying to convert an audio .MOV file to anything that will burn onto a CD and play on my mp3 playing CD player. (burning a data CD of folders of mp3)
I've googled a lot, but i've been gettin gthe same results. When searching this forum i found http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=33...d=327784#pid327784 (cookies 2nd link), would that convert to it to avi audio, or what? I dont know if that makes sense, but in my mind im thinking .avi is audio too? if im wrong, which i probably am, tell me :p

I've found a lot of .mov converters that will convert to other VIDEO formats, but i dont want video formats. I downloaded some songs from a site, and they were in .mov format. (http://www.socialdistortion.com/music.html).

If i cant convert it to an audio format, then oh well i guess... i was just trying to fill a cd with other versions of the songs. :(

This post was edited on 03-05-2006 at 08:53 PM by marissa.
03-05-2006 08:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
RE: MOV converting question.
Quicktime Movie Player can Export to other formats like MPEG, wav and mp3
[Image: 1-0.png]

03-05-2006 09:43 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Quicktime Movie Player can Export to other formats like MPEG, wav and mp3
The official player from Apple? I think only the "Pro" version has that feature. :dodgy:
03-06-2006 05:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by marissa
For the past few hours i've been trying to convert an audio .MOV file to anything that will burn onto a CD and play on my mp3 playing CD player. (burning a data CD of folders of mp3)
I've googled a lot, but i've been gettin gthe same results. When searching this forum i found http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=33...d=327784#pid327784 (cookies 2nd link), would that convert to it to avi audio, or what? I dont know if that makes sense, but in my mind im thinking .avi is audio too? if im wrong, which i probably am, tell me :p

I've found a lot of .mov converters that will convert to other VIDEO formats, but i dont want video formats. I downloaded some songs from a site, and they were in .mov format. (http://www.socialdistortion.com/music.html).

If i cant convert it to an audio format, then oh well i guess... i was just trying to fill a cd with other versions of the songs. :(

First some things to know:

1) Video files, no matter what format, can always contain audio too; but the format will still be a video file.
2) Audio files are not video files; the format is completely different.
3) AVI files are not audio files, they are video files. It is not because a AVI movie can contain audio that it is an audio format; it stays a VIDEO format.
4) The MOV extension (from Quicktime) can both be an audio file or an video file. You can't tell from the extension if it is audio or if it is video.
5) to play a CD in a MP3 player you need MP3's not AVI's; AVI's will not be reconized.
6) Often MP3 players can also play other audio file formats like WAV's.
7) While converting one format to the other you will often loose quality. Especially when converting to MP3. The more converting you do (from MOV to WAV, then to MP3) the more you will loose.

If you look again to some MOV converters, you'll see that some can also convert the audio version of the MOV format to other audio formats.
To search for such tools you can use the searchterm "mov2mp3" in google.

-------

For example "Bink and Smacker" listed in the first link in that post of mine you linked too. It can convert MOV audio files to WAV files. (http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm (download the RAD Video Tools))

To do so in the proper way, load in the MOV audio file into Bink and Smacker and press the "File Info" button. This is important to know what the sample rate is and what format and all.

Note those numbers down and then press on the "Convert a file" button. Select the output format by selecting WAV when you press the "Output type" button.

Then fill out those numbers you noted down before in the "Convert Output format" section, and press "Convert"

This post was edited on 03-06-2006 at 11:31 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-06-2006 11:24 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: