What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » I just want to vent!

I just want to vent!
Author: Message:
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. I just want to vent!
So I fiddle around with the Windows API and force my desktop to show small icons instead of big ones horray I can code. So then I roally fuck up and have to restart my computer. Being the cool guy I am I say "screw restarting I will log off and back on" ya so that doesn't work computer wont respond to it. So ok I try and restart through the start menu ya no luck doesn't close any programs nothing acts like it hangs. So I restart through the Task Manager. All is well (aside from my streaming music was cut off http://di.fm btw) so I get up take a leak come back to my bed only to see...

<windows>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupted. I think ok great what the fuck did I do now. So I come downstairs pop an SP2 cd into my computer extract the I386 folder and the expand.exe file and burn them to a CDRW. Ok great I figure this should solve my problems so I boot the laptop with my Windows98 Boot CD (haha its a bootdisk on a CD). And I type

code:
expand r:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll {enter}
This program cannot be run in DOS.

Ok so back to the drawing board. I erase that CD and expand hal.dll on my desktop and just burn that single 103kb file to the CD (good thing its still the RW). So I reboot with the CD Boot disk change cds, copy the file reboot and voila back in Windows. Now it has to install all the devices ok I can live with that. So I go to change the resolution... oops my finger slipped at 1400*1200  and I had clicked Apply not realizing it. So ok I can either wait for the count down or press N so I press N no luck screen is still blank... but whats this I can still see some picture far be it completly dim but I can still see it barely. So I go back into Display Properties reset the screen resolution click Apply and nothing... I still cant see shit like I should...

So I figure what the hell why not reboot into Safe Mode and reset the Display Settings there. So I reboot tap F8 and pop into Safe Mode BUT... it hangs at loading a driver... it completly locks up like wow I am not having the best luck right now. So I now have to leave for work with a laptop full of important information. So I figure I will reboot the laptop kill hal.dll and reboot then recopy it over and let the system do what it has to do and hope to god it will work...

I will update this when I get home and let you all know how my troubles are going.

Thanks for reading I hope you are enjoying the sorrow I am in right now...

Matty

P.S. Traxor your still my bitch!
03-08-2006 07:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
I just want to vent! - by matty on 03-08-2006 at 07:56 PM
RE: I just want to vent! - by _Humphreys on 03-08-2006 at 08:19 PM
RE: I just want to vent! - by matty on 03-08-2006 at 09:16 PM
RE: I just want to vent! - by SikStyles on 03-08-2006 at 10:07 PM
RE: I just want to vent! - by ShawnZ on 03-08-2006 at 10:29 PM
RE: I just want to vent! - by matty on 03-08-2006 at 10:36 PM