What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Oh noes! Laptop!

Oh noes! Laptop!
Author: Message:
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
O.P. Oh noes! Laptop!
Oh noes! My new laptop is fucked!

When ever i try to log in, in about a minute the blue screen of death shows up for half a second and it reboots. I thought it was because i had 2 anti-viruses and 2 firewalls :P I tried uninstalling one of them in safe mode but it doesnt let me :( So i made a new admin user in safe mode and tried logging in normally but it takes for ever (still logging in after 10 minutes).

What should i do!?
03-13-2006 03:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: Oh noes! Laptop!
If it was that way new, out of the box, I would seriously consider returning it to exchange for one that works.  It is probably more than a software problem, anyway.

If you want to try to avoid doing that (or it worked fine and you somehow hosed it :P), then I'd suggest you follow the procedure to restore software to factory condition.  It varies depending on manufacturer and model, so you may need to read the documentation.  Usually, it involves booting from an included restore disc or pressing some keys during startup to launch restore from a partition on the hard drive. 

Full restore will fix any and all software problems -- if the problems persist afterwards, it is safe to say you have a hardware failure of some sort.

03-13-2006 04:05 PM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Oh noes! Laptop!
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
If it was that way new, out of the box, I would seriously consider returning it to exchange for one that works.  It is probably more than a software problem, anyway.

If you want to try to avoid doing that (or it worked fine and you somehow hosed it :P), then I'd suggest you follow the procedure to restore software to factory condition.  It varies depending on manufacturer and model, so you may need to read the documentation.  Usually, it involves booting from an included restore disc or pressing some keys during startup to launch restore from a partition on the hard drive. 

Full restore will fix any and all software problems -- if the problems persist afterwards, it is safe to say you have a hardware failure of some sort.

i guess i'll try using the restore cds and then return it but this is the second time since i returned the other one yesterday because the "R" key was broken :P
03-13-2006 04:25 PM
Adeptus

RE: Oh noes! Laptop!
quote:
this is the second time since i returned the other one yesterday because the "R" key was broken

If neither was your fault (:P), I'd take this as a strong clue to buy something else.  Two DOA units in a row is a very bad sign.

These aren't refurbs, are they?
03-13-2006 04:32 PM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Oh noes! Laptop!
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
this is the second time since i returned the other one yesterday because the "R" key was broken

If neither was your fault (:P), I'd take this as a strong clue to buy something else.  Two DOA units in a row is a very bad sign.

These aren't refurbs, are they?

according to them its not, but the recovery cds were opened :o

btw, does anyone know where the music that you hear when you are setting up windows is? i'm going through the process and i love it :P
03-13-2006 04:54 PM
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Oh noes! Laptop!
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
btw, does anyone know where the music that you hear when you are setting up windows is? i'm going through the process and i love it :P

C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\images\title.wma? Is this it? :P
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
03-13-2006 07:08 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: