What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Ghosting VS Reinstalling.

Ghosting VS Reinstalling.
Author: Message:
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. Ghosting VS Reinstalling.
Just a question.  I am thinking of ghosting my machine so if I ever need to re-install my OS with the apps I can just copy the image back I assume.

My question is.  How would I do that using ghost 10.0 or is it just faster and better to reinstall everything manually like windows, office etc....?

Thanks
03-14-2006 05:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Ghosting VS Reinstalling.
I'd use Ghost, you just need to open the image and let it go.

It's fast. It would be faster to use Ghost to write an image than manually installing even just Windows, and the speed difference will be more noticable if you have favoutite programs in your image as well.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
03-16-2006 09:48 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: Ghosting VS Reinstalling.
I'd recommend Ghost too.

I use it in an environment of ~150 machines in a school. It makes life so much easier on me when kids do something to one of the machines.

I can simply call up a Multicast session using PXE booting and schedule the machine to reimage off the Multicast server.

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
My question is.  How would I do that using ghost 10.0 or is it just faster and better to reinstall everything manually like windows, office etc....?
First of all, it is way faster. Configure once, deploy multiple times.

Install all of your software - get it all configured properly.

After that is done, I'd recommend using Microsoft's SysPrep (From System Deployment Kit - Microsoft Website or your Windows CD). Make sure you get the correct version for your version of Windows.

Sysprep is a small utility which will remove any hardware specific information from the machine including its SID (Unique system idenifier). This will also mean that if you change your hardware in the future, there is a greater (95%) chance that the old image will work with the new hardware.

Ghost the machine to create the image - using a Ghot bootdisk (Can provide instructions for creating a CD if needed). You can either ghost onto a CD/DVD, USB HDD, Local Disk (not the one being used for the image), Network, or Multicast server.

Boot into the machine again - Windows will run the "mini setup" which is a short setup that allows you to configure your machine (If you have a branded machine you'll likely have seen this before when you first turn it on).

It'll take a few minutes then you'll be on your way again.

Ghost is popular, very popular. Toshina use Symantec Ghost (Norton is the "family" brand, whereas Symantec is the "corporate" brand) to provide the restore functionality of all of their machines.

Another application to check out which is similar and seems to be gaining market popularit is Acronis True Image - infact, the Dept. of Education here now recommend this over Ghost (I still prefer Ghost).

Regards,
Chris
03-16-2006 01:36 PM
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Ghosting VS Reinstalling.
Do I make it as a bootable ISO because if I format my machine how would that work?
03-16-2006 01:38 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: