What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » WLM8 Chat

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
WLM8 Chat
Author: Message:
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: WLM8 Chat
quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
Originally posted by Animal
ty Sonic.. i woulda liked to have been there but unfortenetly i was in bed asleep

np....I tried entering with the password in the email but it was invalid :( for some reason

Because it was for managed beta testers only.

me = managed beta tester

WLM8Chat was the password because it said that in my email
03-17-2006 02:51 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
ty Sonic.. i woulda liked to have been there but unfortenetly i was in bed asleep

np....I tried entering with the password in the email but it was invalid :( for some reason

me = managed beta tester

******** was the password because it said that in my email

Is it really a good idea to post that out like that? :/

But yeah, the password didn't work until like 10 mins before the chat for me.
03-17-2006 02:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

me = managed beta tester

WLM8Chat was the password because it said that in my email

Eh, well it should have worked. But since you didn't get in, the transscript is to be posted on the newsgroups soon :).
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
03-17-2006 02:59 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
I'll quote what I just wrote on my blog:

quote:
Originally posted by http://spaces.msn.com/xxrebelseanxx
I'm sure you've heard it by now, we've had a beta chat tonight with fellow developers, program managers, and experts. We've had many questions answered, but I'm not allowed to directly quote them unfortunatly (But I'll say, go to Mess.be if you want that ).

Windows Live Messenger has been in beta since before December, and it's time it has came to an end. The ETA for the final product is set for late April as all learned tonight at the chat. The managed beta testers are not going to receive another build, and we've done all we can for now. I have enjoyed this beta and I look forward to future builds. What can we expect in the future? The possibilities are endless. However, I can tell you this much. The most requested feature, Tabbed Chatting, is going to be included in the next release. We're not quite sure if the team meant the PUBLIC release, or the next VERSION of 8.0. What I can tell you is that all of the managed testers in this beta can expect testing that version before anyone else.

Other than that, there were just the usuall requests and suggestions. We have a lot of new things comming to us in the future, I'll keep those a secret (For now ). I'd like to take the time to thank the developers and experts for taking the time to chat with us and I look forward to future chats! That's all for now, but again the transcript can be found on the newsgroups for managed testers, and for everyone else who wants it go check out Mess.be.

:)
03-17-2006 04:15 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: WLM8 Chat
interesting they said late april?  as i read in the WLM8 chat they wouldnt confirm it or say when,
03-17-2006 04:32 AM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
I haven't had a chance to read Mess.be's report, but all I know is that it's been confirmed that it's out late April :). 2 developers confirmed that.
03-17-2006 04:35 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: WLM8 Chat
well here's what one said..

quote:
I:
Q: [34] when are you planning on launching WLM public?

A: No approximate time at this time.
03-17-2006 04:41 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Anychance someone could email me / msg me about some of the questions they answered.

I'm part of the managed beta team, however the chat was from 1am to 4am Aussie time so i obviously didn't take part in it :P

Edit: Nevermind i missed your post Rebelsean i'll go check it out at connect :)

This post was edited on 03-17-2006 at 05:25 AM by Chestah.
Segosa is newb.
03-17-2006 05:22 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
shawnz asked the experts: So, with the introduction of Sharing Folders, you seem to have perfected crappy wrapped up FTP. Will we, the users of Windows Live Messenger, be able to see more crappy wrapped up existing software in the future? I know I can't wait.

A: Thank you for using Windows Live Messenger. It turns out that the Sharing Folders feature is actually much more than just FTP. We use a pretty advanced replication engine which allows you to "smart" transfer files. In other words, we compress the data quite a bit before sending and in the case that you have already replicated a file and change it slightly, we only replicate over the rest of the change.

shawnz asked the experts: Niladri: I understand. For example, my GZip program can calculate complex equasions while compressing files. Do you mean something like that?

A: Yah, something like that except that we send the bits over a wire too.

shawnz asked the experts: Niladri: Interesting.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
03-17-2006 06:02 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
These are the interesting things i could find. If you really want to see everything just visit mess.be for the full chat transcript.

Microsoft "stealing" features from Messenger Plus!:
Q: [151] Why do we still not have tabs in Live Messenger? It's so often requested but never added?
A: It is definitely one of the features that is being considered for future releases

Q: [68] Leah said on the MessengerSays blog that Tabbed Chatting is on the list of features to add, when do you guys think we're going to see it?
A: In the next release

Q: [127] Suggestion Six: Auto-Away me4ssages, To be able to set a message to send to a user that messages you while you are away Example, Mike is sending Steven a message , Hi Steve how are you, Then Mike will get a response saying Sorry i am away shopping.
A: We have a whole cool feature comming to answer this need. 

Rumours and indications about final release date and how many more beta builds to expect:
MenthiX note: Might be interesting for Patchou too as indication when MP!L could be released
Q: [141] Are there any plans in Microsoft to release versions in other languages, for instance Russian, for Windows Live Messenger or Windows Live mail?
A: Yes, there are currently plans to add additional langauges for Windows Live products. Russian should be available for beta in the next several days.

Q: [150] When is the next beta release due out?
A: The next release is the non-beta version of messenger

Q: [297] RE 150: So the next release is going to be the public release?
A: Yes I believe so.

Q: [291] So the next release will be the public one ?
A: That's the plan.

Q: [285] Aarthi - Messenger has just said the next release is non-beta does that mean were nearing a final release?
A: as of the current plan the next release is a final release and that is what we are working towards

Q: [363] will us beta testers get the final version of WLM 8 a few weeks before its made public so we can do some last minute bug finding!!??
A: We normally give out a build close to the final release for testing, but not final release.

Q: [412] when is the next build going to release?
A: We build every day but the final should be late April - we hope.
MenthiX note: Hmmm... so basicly they say: "No more releases for managed testers, everybody needs to wait until final public release which is planned end april" ?

Microsoft's opinion about Messenger Plus!:
MenthiX note: All these 4 questions were answered by a guy name "Geeven", the opinions from other MS people are usually "we like Plus!, but we do not support it"):
Q: [478] Do you guys approve msgplus?
A: no. in fact, since the program modifies our binary, i believe installing msgrplus is a violation of the messenger terms of use.

Q: [488] what is your official opinion of MSG Plus!?
A: we're not really fans of it. it modifies our binary, so it causes a bunch of bugs. plus, when people submit crashes - which we do look at - when msgr plus is installed the crashes are usually worthless. however, patchou comes up with some interesting features and we always encourage user feedback.

Q: [492] note to Geeven: Messenger Plus! does not modify the files of Messenger and never did
A: it may not now, but it certainly used to. it can cause us a great deal of problems

Q: [530] well if you guys dislike msgplus... will you ever prevent installations?
A: probably not, unless it becomes a REAL problem. if you wantto shoot yourself in the foot, we're not going to keep you from doing that either

Other Plus! related stuff
Q: [117] So, when is MS going to hire Patchou to work on Messenger...?
A: Has he submitted his resume

Q: [301] Is MSN Plus working with Beta version of Messenger ?
A: Need to check with the MSN Plus folks

Some other fun/interesting stuff:
Q: [174] Will us lolya beta testers get a free MS hat? or how about a pen?
A: You all certainly deserve some MSN/Windows Live stuff thanks to all your great work! I'll see what we can do :-)

Q: [220] Do you support the unoffical Jonathan Kay fan club?
A: I'm a fan too.
MenthiX note: See the Jonathan Kay/TReKiE fan club @ http://zivontsis.googlepages.com/jkay.htm

Q: [323] how many users is in the "Messenger" network, and what percentage is MSN?WLM messenger users out of the total?
A: there are in excess of 200 million messenger users today. we are ramping up the number of beta users every day, but are still a fairly low numbers relative to the entire user base.

Q: [408] how big is the wlm team?
A: about 60 full timers, including a few manager overhead types ;-)

Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
03-17-2006 02:10 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: