What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Another MOBO question

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Another MOBO question
Author: Message:
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. Another MOBO question
Ok here is the deal,

I hooked up the powersupply and all the LED's and lights to the motherboard it's a P5V800-MX I powered it on and got a green light on the motherboard good sign right?

2) I hooked up the monitor to the on board BUT got no video the monitor was on idle.  There is NO Hard Drive attached NO DVD either.  and when I booted got no  BEEP but on my current machine I don't get a BEEP either and it boots fine.  is it panic mode?
03-28-2006 02:06 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Triton-03

RE: Another MOBO question
hmm.. odd.. is it onboard video?
03-28-2006 05:40 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Panic!

This may sound weird, but check that everything is all in firmly. Try pushing all of the cables in further, and even pushing your graphics card in further.

(How are you expecting to run a computer without a HDD btw :p)
03-28-2006 07:00 AM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
this might sound like a stupid question.. but

Have you connected the power cable to the Video Card and correctly inserted it, checked all your cables?

Try with the hdd too :p
03-28-2006 11:50 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Have you connected the power cable to the Video Card
Really... since when?

Since this board (P5V800-MX) has onboard video. You will need to connect to this first and in the BIOS disable the onboard video so you will be able to use the Video Card if you have one.

Aside from that if it is something physically wrong with the board you will get beeps. Do you have the internal speaker connected properly to the jumpers? If you don't you wont get any beeps to be able to diagnose the problem.
quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Try with the hdd too
quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
There is NO Hard Drive attached NO DVD either.
Someone is not reading...
quote:
Originally posted by Panic!
(How are you expecting to run a computer without a HDD btw :P)
It will boot saying there is no Operating System; maybe hes wanting to wipe the HDD in his current computer and put it in the new one but wants it up and running first. Who knows.

This post was edited on 03-28-2006 at 01:10 PM by matty.
03-28-2006 01:05 PM
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Another MOBO question
Everything seems to be connected well, Eveyrthing seems to be in firmly.  I wanted to make sure that the mobo was working before I connected the DVD Drive, HDD and other stuff.  I don't get any beeps what's so ever though.

But wouldn't the expansion slot work?  because I'm not planning to use the onboard video card anyway.
Yes Matty that is exactly what I want to do :D

This post was edited on 03-28-2006 at 02:07 PM by YourNeibour.
03-28-2006 01:27 PM
Adeptus

Short list of things that I'd attempt / verify:

1) Check the rear of your power supply.  Most have a voltage switch.  Verify this is set correctly (115 volts if you are in North America, 230 in Europe).

2) Make sure you didn't forget to connect the four-wire power connector near the CPU.  It is required in addition to the main motherboard power connector.

3) Refer to your manual and locate the CMOS reset jumper.  Go ahead and reset the CMOS, and make sure you put the jumper back in the normal operating position.  I've had some new boards in past that came with the jumper in reset position...

4) Disconnect all the lights and switches, except for the power button.  Remove any additional cards you may have installed.  Using onboard video, all you need is CPU and RAM.

Other than that, my main concern would be installation of the CPU chip, if you did that yourself and are doing this for the first time.

This post was edited on 03-28-2006 at 05:50 PM by Adeptus.
03-28-2006 05:48 PM
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
1) Power Supply is set to 115 (i'm in canada)
2) I connected the fan to the motherboard
3) I Connected the powersupply to the motherboard
4) There are no other cards or peripherals connected to the motherboard
5) The monitor was plugged into the onboard VGA jack

All above was done and still no video I think that there mabye a problem with the motherboard, I'll try it again.  I'll try to plug in mouse and keyboard and see what happens.  What do you think?
03-28-2006 05:55 PM
stoshrocket

formerly methos

33 / Male / Flag
i had the same problem with my motherobard when i built this computer a month ago, my advie would be to disconnect everything and start again. Add all the major components needed (including that HDD) and also make sure your bios version that came with the board is compatible with everything by going to the board manufacturers site; my problem was i was trying to run a dual core processor and my bios version didnt support it, sent it back to the manufacturer and they upgraded it. Also, check that CMOS jumper, other than that animal's list is spot on for trouble shooting ;)
formerly methos
03-28-2006 05:59 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
I called the store I brought it from and they told me the same plug in keyboard, mouse and monitor to the HD and of course the powersupply and see if the numlock flashes, I'll try that later and see if it works.  It's under warranty so i won't have to pay again if I need it replaced but they were carefull to give me the right processor to this motherboard.  I got a Asus P5V800-MX and a P4 2.66 Intell process that goes with that motherboard.
03-28-2006 06:56 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: