What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » BitDefender detects Messenger plus! as spyware

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
BitDefender detects Messenger plus! as spyware
Author: Message:
tongue_thaid

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus! 3.62
BitDefender 9 Standard AntiVirus software has been upgraded to include AntiSpyware as of 1 April 2006.

http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-64-en--BitDefender-9-Standard.html#

"""NEWAntispyware protection The BitDefender antispyware shield scans for (and blocks) spyware threats in real time by checking accessed files (including those received via web, mail and P2P transfers. BitDefender checks for malicious cookies, registry entries, processes and applications on-demand using a constantly updated spyware signature database. """

When running BitDefender either as a SCAN or as a SHIELD - its new Spyware Alert finds some Messenger Plus .dll files and removes them/ quarantines them/ etc or whatever your settings are.  That includes the RESTORE files for Messenger Plus in System Volume Information (Windows XP).

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlusH.dll    Detected: Application.Messenger.Plus.M

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlusH1.dll Detected: Application.Messenger.Plus.C

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\Resources\MsgPlusRes.dll    Detected: Application.Messenger.Plus.E

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\Resources1\MsgPlusRes.dll    Detected: Application.Messenger.Plus.P

When you start MSN - Messenger Plus invites you to do a repair - as BitDefender has removed crucial files.

You can quarantine the Program Files folder for Messenger Plus - but not so easy with the RESTORE folder.

The Spyware Alert constantly reports the _restore files - as it cant remove them - and its periodic scan (5 minutes or so) keeps reporting them.

I cannot find any information on the BitDefender web site as to Messenger Plus - even though you are referred there if you click on "more information about this ~~~~~~~"

I dont have Messenger Plus SPONSOR option turned on.  Never have.  Up until today - BitDefender and Messenger Plus were happy with each other.  But not now.

So now we have another significant AntiVirus / AntiSpyware program giving us a hard time over Messenger Plus.
04-01-2006 07:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
tongue_thaid

O.P. RE: BitDefender detects Messenger plus! as spyware
I wrote to Support at BitDefender about their new Spyware upgrade causing a hard time for Messenger Plus - BitDefender Support Email

I received the following reply:

You can exclude the Messenger Plus and System volume infomation from Bitdefender scan as follows:

In Antivirus > Shield > Scan accessed files> Advanced > Exclude path from scan

Also if you want to disable Antispyware scan, this can be done from Antivirus > Shield > Advanced, where you disable "Scan for spyware" option.

Do not hesitate to contact us for further questions you may have.

Best regards,
Cristina Banu
BitDefender Technical Support Engineer
-------------------------------------
e-mail: support@bitdefender.com
http://www.bitdefender.com

So for other users of both BitDefender and Messenger Plus - it looks like this is the work-around.  As far as BitDefender is concerned - Messenger Plus is Spyware.  Up to each user to make the adjustment to allow both programs to live with each other.

Exclude C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3 from being scanned
as well as:
Exclude C:\System Volume Information

This relates to Windows XP.
System Volume Information is a hidden system folder.

More info from BitDefender at:
http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB295-en--BitDefender-a...re-protection.html
04-01-2006 11:19 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: BitDefender detects Messenger plus! as spyware
Please contine to email their support and by all means, boycott this kind of crappy software that's not capable of flagging programs properly.
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-01-2006 10:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Azrael694

No offense Patchou (or anyone else), but Bitdefender regularly beats Kaspersky in independent A/V tests, they seem to trade the top postions (for accuracy) all the time. Yes, I know your product is clean, I have no fear of it having any hidden/nasty suprises, but is it possible that one of the encryption algorithms is being misidentified? Personally, I have been using Bitdefender since it was 7.2 and it has never flagged anything from your product (I have been using it for about a year).
04-02-2006 06:01 AM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Most antiviruses etc only pick up the sponsor that is included with Messenger Plus so that we have it free, the sponsor is optional so unless you click accept on the sponsor you wont get any viruses etc, im not sure if the sponsor is spyware of anything though sorry :S

Messenger Plus - SPYWARE FREE

This post was edited on 04-02-2006 at 06:26 AM by Eddie.
...there used to be a signature here :)
04-02-2006 06:25 AM
tongue_thaid

O.P. RE: BitDefender detects Messenger plus! as spyware
Just to keep on message here:

1)  On March 29 BitDefender launched the upgraded BitDefender Standard and BitDefender Professional Plus desktop security programs, which have Antispyware capabilities included by default in the new version (designated 9.5).

2)  The new product versions are distributed to existing users via the regular update. Therefore the only thing you need to do is update your products. A notification message will be displayed during the update process asking you to enable/disable the spyware protection.

BitDefender is a significant Antivirus program.

If you enable the new Antispyware upgrade - it now treats Messenger Plus - WITH OR WITHOUT the sponsor option enabled - as Spyware.

Not only does it target the installed program - it also targets the install file if you saved it to your computer.

That tells me that BitDefender is specifically targeting Messenger Plus as spyware - right down to defining a new "spyware" name - and calling it Application.Messenger.Plus.C / E / M / P etc.

Refer to my original post of 1st April as to how to keep BitDefender from removing your Messenger Plus installation if that is what you want to achieve.
04-02-2006 07:01 AM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Its probably finding it becuase the sponsor installation is integrated into the Messenger Plus Installation File, the same problem has been occuring with the Windows Defender 8-) Which sucks becuase Messenger Plus is an awesome program and ive never had problems with it...
04-02-2006 07:09 AM
BensPlus-User

– / Male / –
Yeah it would probably happen on Windows Defender if they havn't excluded Messenger Plus out of the scanning path, but on the whole they are 2 good anti-spywares really
04-02-2006 09:49 AM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Nope, they havent taken it out, although patchou sent in a petition of many many signatures it still appears on most systems as spyware to Windows Defender :(
04-02-2006 09:52 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
For Windows Defender it's different.... they detect the setup as potentially dangerous, which in a way, can almost be true (depending on your definition of "dangerous").

BitDefejnder detects the installed files as dangerous and there's absolutely no reason for it as Plus! itseld has no connection whatsoever with the sponsor. That's what triggered the need for a petition with MS in the first place except that this time, I really don't care about that product. I'm just counting on its users to report the problem and if every company continues to do the same, you'll all be saying goobye to Messenger Plus! by the end of the summer.
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-03-2006 07:14 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: