What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » linux newbie

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
linux newbie
Author: Message:
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. linux newbie
ok i heard many great things about linux, and im willin to try it, but i alseo read that its not like you install it and that is, like u choose wat u want an all that and wat are u gonna use it for,  so i want to know, also why are there so many kinds/version of it? :S

System Spec, RAM recomended, u know all that. aslo links :D

thanks
[Image: guanako20.png]
04-02-2006 07:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
QtanJ

34 / Male / –
RE: linux newbie
I think linux is a great OS, and some of the packages is really easy to install. I use SUSE 10, but I know other people would tell you to stay away from it. It's the same about ubuntu. Linux is great for reasonable things, but when it comes to the best games, you have to work to find out how you should get it work.

You can find a linux distro for most computers.

I won't tell the computer requirements since I first  don't know them, and second I can't find them. The only thing I know is that graphical suse linux 10 requires or recommend 128MB ram(half if you don't want graphical interface)

It's many distros because linux is opensource and too many people improves it to only use one distro. Also someone needs to don't choose what you want, and it's impossible with so many developers to have one default configuration.
Linux > Windows
Opengl > DirectX
04-02-2006 08:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: linux newbie
im currently downloading SUSE, i will give it a try, so linux runs most windows applications? and wat do u mean by best games?
04-02-2006 08:48 PM
QtanJ

34 / Male / –
I mean it's a lot of work to get windows games and applications to work with linux. You need to download a compability layer(wine is a free choise) or to emulate a computer with windows.  That about the best games, I used those as example of what you had to work a lot with to be able to play on linux.

Mozilla Firefox is easy to install on linux since it's for the linux platform too. If you want Internet Explorer then you have to use wine. And you need to configure or download the right version of wine to get it work on linux. I have used linux a couple of weeks and think "why didn't I install this before".

And for the best games, it wasn't perfectly clear, I meant every game you want to play, but only comes to windows. Compability layers(as wine) isn't perfect and you need to configure them.  Wine don't emulate administration rights and then you can't install programs that requires administration rights to install.

Choose Firefox rather than Konqueror as web browser, but use Konqueror or a ftp program for ftp.

This post was edited on 04-02-2006 at 09:10 PM by QtanJ.
Linux > Windows
Opengl > DirectX
04-02-2006 08:58 PM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
I also suggest you to install the Linux OS in a Virtual Machine, so if you can't mess up your system :P
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
04-03-2006 11:48 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
QtanJ

34 / Male / –
I suggest that if you do that, you remove the virtuall computer afterwards. In my point of view, you should run linux and there use Vmware or any other emulate software to run windows. Windows needs restart when it's only required with logoff in linux. And logoff, startup and shutdown works much faster in linux than in windows.

The linux installer on the site I linked to also includes a choise between grub and lilo boot, which is boot loaders. You can start windows, linux, etc by default and choose from a list what you want to start. You can change default and timeout easily in the control panel in linux.
Linux > Windows
Opengl > DirectX
04-03-2006 02:00 PM
AvengeX

Check out AvengeX.com :D

33 / Male / –
If you want to use a Linux distro for your PC, I highly recommend Slackware, RedHat, Fedora or CentOS. If you're using it for a server then use Fedora or CentOS because they're leet :P
04-04-2006 02:56 PM
Snake

34 / Male / Flag
I use Ubuntu. It is acctauly realy easy to use. It has a package manager so things r very easy to install.
[Image: sig.png]
04-04-2006 04:17 PM
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: linux newbie
im goin for SUSE im downloading the 3rd cd now. i will how that one goes.
04-04-2006 05:13 PM
QtanJ

34 / Male / –
SUSE also got package manager, but if you want wine, or the latest version of firefox, then you should download it from it's homepage. Firefox suse version on online update comes 1.0.7. And wine comes as a version I couldn't identify so I uninstalled  it and downloaded it from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ and http://winehq.org. If you want to upgrade something and can't find it at online update, check the official homepage for a linux version newer than the one that came with suse.
Linux > Windows
Opengl > DirectX
04-04-2006 07:42 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: