What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » screen has lines breaking up content

screen has lines breaking up content
Author: Message:
stoshrocket

formerly methos

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  screen has lines breaking up content
ok, this is a very hard problem to explain, i would have taken a pic but cant find my cam. every now an then, the screen goes really weird and becomes filled with lines breaking up the thing that was on my screen, although its still usable i just stopped and it stops after a few seconds, but sometimes it carries on for 2 mins! im pretty worried about this because its happening at the start-up screens as well (ie those black ones right at the start :S). As for connection im not sure, but tomorrow im getting some compressed air and cleaning the innerds of my computer (ive built it myself so im gonna take it apart, clean it, then put it back together). But before i do, anyone know why this might be doing it? thanks
formerly methos
04-17-2006 11:59 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Funness

35 / Male / –
RE: screen has lines breaking up content
Any magnets near the screen? eg speakers.

This post was edited on 04-17-2006 at 12:01 PM by Funness.
[Image: kingofpants.png]
                                        funness.net
04-17-2006 12:01 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Got another monitor you can test on? See if it has the same problem. Because it might be just the monitor failing instead of the videocard/system.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-17-2006 12:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
stoshrocket

formerly methos

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: screen has lines breaking up content
err... i have 3 main speakers, a left, right, and sub... left and right are opposite sides of the screen 8-) although they have been since i've got this computer just after christmas and its never done this before... other than those, no magents :undecided:

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Got another monitor you can test on? See if it has the same problem. Because it might be just the monitor failing instead of the videocard/system.

err.... i suppose, but i can only do that tomorrow, so i'll test that tomorrow... but strangely enough ive been on my computer for 20 mins and after 10 mins of doing this its not done it again.... ^o)

This post was edited on 04-17-2006 at 12:20 PM by stoshrocket.
formerly methos
04-17-2006 12:19 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
It could it be it only has such problems on a cold boot. So when you had your pc turned off for a few hours... you turn it on... problem starts and after a few minutes when the system starts to heat up the problem goes away and doesn't re-appear until the next cold boot.

I have an old tv here which I still use that has such problems too... sometimes when I turn it on it goes all weird, but after a few minutes it's fine and doesn't have any problems until I turn it off.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-17-2006 12:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
stoshrocket

formerly methos

33 / Male / Flag
hmm... could be.... ill see next time, im gonna do some work in an hour or so and wont be on here for three ish hours, so ill see then, if it still happens then ill try it out with a different monitor. Thanks for all your help!
formerly methos
04-17-2006 12:39 PM
Funness

35 / Male / –
Could be a power to video card or GPU over heating issue.. both can cause errors/artifacts on the screen.
[Image: kingofpants.png]
                                        funness.net
04-18-2006 06:36 AM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Lines used to appear on my screen when i made my resolution to big for what the graphics card could handle that i had, try lowering your resolution and see if it solves the problem :) Sorry if problem is already solved :$
...there used to be a signature here :)
04-18-2006 06:38 AM
stoshrocket

formerly methos

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Funness
Could be a power to video card or GPU over heating issue.. both can cause errors/artifacts on the screen.
quote:
Originally posted by DevilFX
Lines used to appear on my screen when i made my resolution to big for what the graphics card could handle that i had, try lowering your resolution and see if it solves the problem :) Sorry if problem is already solved :$
tbh i very much doubt these two, the cooling in my system keeps my system very cool (i monitor the temps using a guru panle on the front!) and as for my grapics card not being able to handle the res, its a Nvidia GeForce 7800.... 8-)

but, ive booted up my comp this morning after a good 12 hours rest and it seems its stopped doing the lines even on a cold boot, so that rules being a cold boot out. Well, im going to take my comp apart and give it a clean with a can of compressed air, thanks for all your help guys!! <3 8-)

EDIT: bah, i spoke too soon, its doing the lines worse than before, this time with the screen going black every 5 secs :@:@:@ and all the programs stop functioning and my comp runs reaaallllyy sloowww :@:@:@:@:@

This post was edited on 04-18-2006 at 09:10 AM by stoshrocket.
formerly methos
04-18-2006 08:32 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: