What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Windows Live Messenger to add plugin support

Windows Live Messenger to add plugin support
Author: Message:
anonymousjon

37 / Male / –
O.P. Windows Live Messenger to add plugin support
quote:
As Ken Levy mentioned earlier this week, the next beta build of Windows Live Messenger will see yet more extensiblity features being made available to 3rd party developers.

Windows Live Messenger Add-Ins can be added to increase Messenger's functionality or to add features. Users will be able to install both official (Microsoft produced) and unofficial (3rd party developers) add-ins, which at a basic level will be able to perform tasks such as changing your display picture and personal message, as well as responding to instant messages and changes in your online status. This is likely to result in add-ins such as automatic translators or those that can chat with your contacts when you're not available, similar to running your own bot in some ways.

To run an add-in in Messenger, you need to have the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed. Add-Ins can be configured in the Messenger options dialogue, and whilst you can download and install as many add-ins as you like to Messenger, only one can be running at a given time. Also, in order to minimise any possible security risks that could occur whilst running add-ins, Messenger will run them in a restriced environment (a sandbox) to control what they can access on your computer. Having said that, you shouldn't run any Add-Ins you don't trust.

While this isn't something new to those who have used Messenger Plus! or any of the other numerous existing add-ons, this official endorsement from the Messenger team should see a whole new set of developers trying to improve Messenger, which will definitely be good news for users. In order to prove popular though, the limit of 1 add-in running at any time will need to be removed, or at least increased substantially.

Information about how to develop an add-in will be available soon via the Windows Live Developer Center.

SOURCE: liveside.net

so what does thie mean for MsgPlus Live. will patchou have to redesign it to work as one of these addons?
04-13-2006 04:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Windows Live Messenger to add plugin support
I think they are like simple programs to do some simple tasks. Nothing on a large scale like Messenger Plus! :P

Yet this may make the team add more to the api :P

This post was edited on 04-13-2006 at 05:28 PM by absorbation.
04-13-2006 05:23 PM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
Maybe developers can try to make both MsgPlus! Live scripts as Messenger Add-Ins, since they seem to be almost the same. I don't know the specific possibilities of of both, so I could be wrong.

Let's see what Microsoft will do with it... :)
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
04-13-2006 05:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user35870
Disabled Account

It sounds good (Y). The only thing tho:
quote:
Originally posted by anonymousjon
only one can be running at a given time.

I hope that is made bigger or removed.

This post was edited on 04-13-2006 at 05:31 PM by user35870.
04-13-2006 05:30 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
You only can run only one at a time. They seem pointless really :P
04-13-2006 05:31 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version