What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Privacy Issues

Privacy Issues
Author: Message:
dizzy

– / Female / –
O.P. Shocked  Privacy Issues
This site looks vast, I completed a quick search and didn’t find my answer so apologies if I didn’t look hard enough.

I downloaded msgplus a couple of days ago, it looks like there are quite a few nifty, new features.  One which has surprised me though, is when you right click a contact >messenger plus extras >contact information - it shows you the time of that contacts latest chat!!  Now there are times when I’d like to be unblocked to contacts - but not have them know the time of my last chat or if indeed, I am still chatting!  :S

Whilst on the privacy subject, is it possible for contacts to hack into chats if they have no physical access to your machine? 

And, if you block someone, then that person can’t gather any log info or know any of your msn activity can they?  Even if you appear offline and take a peek at their status?

Oh, it’s not what it seems - honestly…… :$ :)

This post was edited on 04-13-2006 at 07:22 PM by dizzy.
04-13-2006 07:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Privacy Issues
quote:
Originally posted by dizzy
Whilst on the privacy subject, is it possible for contacts to hack into chats if they have no physical access to your machine? 

With Messenger Plus! no. :P

And the last chat is the chat you had with them. It just logs when you did it :P Messenger Plus! does not have any privacy flaws as this would make the program unpopular :)
04-13-2006 07:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Privacy Issues
quote:
Originally posted by dizzy
This site looks vast, I completed a quick search and didn’t find my answer so apologies if I didn’t look hard enough.
No worries, you searched, that's major goody good ;)

--------------------

1) the contact information panel does not show when your contact has had his last chat or whatever. It shows when you had a last chat with that contact.

So there is no privacy issue here what-so-ever.

There is no way that you can know what your contact did or when he chatted for the last time and with whom.

see also:
- contact info
- contact information
- "last conversation" in msn-plus
- Contact Information Help
- some questions for a beginner at PLUS
etc... etc...

2) No, it is impossible to hack into chats, unless you are running a piece of malware which the hacker has made you run or whatever and which leaves some backdoors open on your computer.

(note: never download software from unofficial sites; never run programs you've recieved from contacts, unless you expected the contact to send you something).

If there was a way to hack into chats, it would have been known already during all these years (and probably be fixed).

3) Even if you don't block someone, contacts can not know what you are doing on msn, nor can they know with whom you're chatting with.

The only thing they could know, when you did not block them, is when you changed status, that is absolutely all.

If you did block a contact (and selected, in your messenger preferences, the option that "only people on my allow list can see my status and can send me messages") then the contact can't even know your real status, ever! (block-checkers do not work).

;)

This post was edited on 04-13-2006 at 08:35 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-13-2006 07:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dizzy

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: Privacy Issues
Wow guys - you made a lil lady relax some ;)

Thanks for the comprehensive answers - I know where to look if I need to know anything more too :-)

I'd have got back sooner, only I was using messenger plus while my hubby was paying with his boys toys :$ (A)
04-13-2006 09:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: