What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » DO you give ur pass to msn support

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
DO you give ur pass to msn support
Author: Message:
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
RE: DO you give ur pass to msn support
you could change your password too somdthing random,too me it sounds like a robot
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

04-18-2006 09:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
why not export all of your contacts, then delete them all from MSN and hotmail then change your password (to something you wouldnt really use) and then give hem that. when they are done change your password again and import all of your contacts
that way they can not mess anything up and your password will never actually be revealed to them as you changed it specially (and your problem can be solved)
"You don't sleep, you defragment!"
04-18-2006 09:43 PM
zaher1988

Inseperable

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: DO you give ur pass to msn support
quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
why not export all of your contacts, then delete them all from MSN and hotmail then change your password (to something you wouldnt really use) and then give hem that. when they are done change your password again and import all of your contacts
that way they can not mess anything up and your password will never actually be revealed to them as you changed it specially (and your problem can be solved)

that's if the email stayed mine :P
04-18-2006 09:57 PM
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
yes, there is that :(
but even if it didnt you would have all of your contacts exported and they would have none of them in eithe rMSN or hotmail, but still sucks if they "stole" it and you had to get a new one
"You don't sleep, you defragment!"
04-18-2006 10:08 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

Well, if in the EULA it says "hotmail/msn will never ever ask you for your password", I'd go with that. Simply refuse to give them your password. Tell them if they want to do anything with your msn, they'll have to use remote access.
04-18-2006 10:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: DO you give ur pass to msn support
errrmmm... where in the mail do they ask for your password??? nowhere!

All they ask for is your permission to temporarly access your account, not for your password!! They can access any account by simply resetting the password temporarly, without needing the actual passwords (hence why specific MS helpdesk personel will never ask for your password: they don't need it!!! Though they need your permission to reset the password. And when they are done fixing, they simply restore the stored hash of the password.)

quote:
Account access consent:

"To continue to help you, I may have to access your account. If I have to access your account, I will have to reset your password. If you do not give me permission to access your account, I may not be able to continue to help you. May I have your permission to access your account if I must? If the answer is yes, please reply by saying, 'You have my permission to temporarily access my account.' As soon as I complete my troubleshooting, I will reset your account back to your original password, and then let you know that the issue has been resolved."

quote:
Originally posted by zaher1988
it is somehow different than what i expressed
It is waaaaay different.

quote:
what cofuses me, how they are going to reset back the password if they didn't know the previous! i mean why they dont directly use the present password, why the reset !
They can not read passwords either! In fact passwords are never stored as plain text. What they can access is the hash of the password. But you can not reverse a hash to the plain password. A hash is a one way encryption.

So, after they're done, they simply put the stored hash back...

--------------

The mail and all is genuine (and not written by a robot :rolleyes:). And I very strongly suggest to do what they are suggesting.

This post was edited on 04-18-2006 at 10:45 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-18-2006 10:43 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Thank you. I was reading through this thread, thinking "What the fuck, why are you people talking about passwords when the email never requested one?!"

At least someone is capable of reading.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
04-19-2006 09:12 AM
zaher1988

Inseperable

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: DO you give ur pass to msn support
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

All they ask for is your permission to temporarly access your account, not for your password!! They can access any account by simply resetting the password temporarly, without needing the actual passwords (hence why specific MS helpdesk personel will never ask for your password: they don't need it!!! Though they need your permission to reset the password. And when they are done fixing, they simply restore the stored hash of the password.)

exactly, but i mean it is funny, that they can't check my email , unless they access my email.

NOW THE FUNNY THING IS
i've got a reply from them, after i asked if there is really a need to reset and why not just use my password that i can give them. and look at the answer

quote:
Zaher, due to privacy reasons we are not allowed to access to your account using your password. you will receive the password reset on an e-mail to your alternative e-mail address.

That's totaly different than the 1st story, which we were discussing, that says [b]"WE will revert back your original Password".
now which of these is bogus, how could we expect such behaviour from employees in such a "big" company, there should be a coordination, or a 1 rule method :/

ciao
04-20-2006 05:54 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
exactly, but i mean it is funny, that they can't check my email , unless they access my email.
What's so funny about that?

quote:
NOW THE FUNNY THING IS
i've got a reply from them, after i asked if there is really a need to reset and why not just use my password that i can give them. and look at the answer
There's nothing dodgy or different about it. It is exactly the same as they said before only not with so many words.

quote:
Zaher, due to privacy reasons we are not allowed to access to your account using your password. you will receive the password reset on an e-mail to your alternative e-mail address.

quote:
That's totaly different than the 1st story, which we were discussing, that says [b]"WE will revert back your original Password".
It is exactly the same!

"due to privacy reasons we are not allowed to access to your account using your password" => that is exactly what they said before:
"May I have your permission to access your account if I must"... They may not and can not access it without your permission.

"you will receive the password reset on an e-mail to your alternative e-mail address." => That's is exactly the same as they said:
"If I have to access your account, I will have to reset your password.".... If they reset your password the system will send a reset pwd mail to your alternative email

quote:
now which of these is bogus
None!

quote:
how could we expect such behaviour from employees in such a "big" company, there should be a coordination, or a 1 rule method :/
There is only the same rule: they can not access people's account without their permission. And you should be glad with that rule.

Don't read stuff which isn't there; there is absolutly nothing funny or contradicting about those mails.

This post was edited on 04-20-2006 at 06:21 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-20-2006 06:19 AM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
you will receive the password reset on an e-mail to your alternative e-mail address.

this means they will inform you when they are done, and have reset your password, by e-mailing you at your alternative address, since you won't have access to the main address
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6657 days, 15 hours, 11 minutes, 13 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
04-20-2006 06:25 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites