What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Microsoft WGA Becomes Nagware

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Microsoft WGA Becomes Nagware
Author: Message:
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. Microsoft WGA Becomes Nagware

Microsoft WGA Becomes Nagware
Posted by Tim Davis 4 hours ago | 71 comments
Post a Comment
Thanks to Aviran for the heads up over in the BPN.

Microsoft announced that on Tuesday it will make Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) more bothersome than ever. A new update for WGA is now on the Windows Update website as a mandatory update. Once installed, your copy of Windows will be checked for validity. If your Windows installation is found not to be genuine, Windows will display a message telling you that “This copy of Windows is not genuine.” Windows will check and display messages on every boot as well as once an hour (or so). The new WGA tool also puts an icon in your system tray if your copy of Windows is not genuine.

Once notified and prompted to validate your copy of Windows, you will have 14 days to do so. If after 14 days you do not comply, you will not be able to download updates from the Windows Update website. Critical security updates will still be available via the Automatic Update built into Windows.

Microsoft hopes that by nagging users to get a genuine copy of Windows, it will cut down on piracy. We all know how much we despise pop-ups. Microsoft also urges anyone who purchased an illegal copy of Windows to report the counterfeit dealer. As a reward, Microsoft will (in most cases) give a free license to victims of counterfeit.

If you do not wish to validate your copy of Windows, there is a way to turn off the notifications by clicking on the system tray icon. If you decide to do so, Microsoft notifies you that you will no longer be able to receive updates via Windows Update. Once you agree to these terms, notification will be disabled. However the tray icon will remain in your system tray. When a new version of WGA is available, the notifications will be enabled again.

Read this at neowin what ya think?
04-26-2006 01:46 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: Microsoft WGA Becomes Nagware
If I'm understanding correctly this will make it so that people without a version of Windows that they bought legally, then they'll have to miss out on security updates and things making it more risky to pirate windows....

I guess microsoft has to do what they have to do to make money from it... and IMHO it's kinda stupid... cause I'm sure they'll be wrong a lot with detecting whether it's genuine or not.
04-26-2006 02:05 AM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
i just had this prompted but i told it not to install so no nagging for me ;)
04-26-2006 02:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
its not all that hard to disable if you know what your doing..
04-26-2006 03:29 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
zach

33 / Male / Flag
Today I found "Windows Genuine Advantage" in Application data. I'm assuming that means that WGA has been installed on my computer. My Windows is legit so it doesn't matter anyway.

Edit: I just searched for updates and...
quote:
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
710 KB , less than 1 minute
The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool enables you to verify that your copy of Microsoft Windows is genuine. The tool validates your Windows installation by checking Windows Product Identification and Product Activation status.

Total: 710 KB , less than 1 minute
guess not...

This post was edited on 04-26-2006 at 03:51 AM by zach.
04-26-2006 03:42 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
Has WGA ever been non nagging ?

Yes it sucks ...... :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
If I'm understanding correctly this will make it so that people without a version of Windows that they bought legally, then they'll have to miss out on security updates and things making it more risky to pirate windows....
Thats what they had planned initially a while back :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
04-26-2006 05:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Bah! Activation, Validation, why must Microsoft make such hassles for us?

Rafael's bypass doesn't work anymore either, so everytime I want to download from Microsoft Download Center I need to run the check, get myself a validation code, copy that code, paste it into the validation page, have the page check it, and then get to a real download page :blah:.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-26-2006 05:53 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Bah! Activation, Validation, why must Microsoft make such hassles for us?

Rafael's bypass doesn't work anymore either, so everytime I want to download from Microsoft Download Center I need to run the check, get myself a validation code, copy that code, paste it into the validation page, have the page check it, and then get to a real download page :blah:.
I know it sucks. Rafael's bypass was bypassed by microsoft ages ago?

I couldnt use the gm script cause Microsoft Update doesnt work on it and trixie sucks arse!!!!

Just as i posted this i thought i should finally check what updates the icon was sitting there for ...... look at this :P

[Image: WGA lol.jpg]

This post was edited on 04-26-2006 at 07:30 AM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
04-26-2006 07:24 AM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
Let me laugh...
You know what?
I believe that this will be cracked in less than five days...

Also, I really don't care about this, since I never install updates to my computer (and I still use SP1 fyi)
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
04-26-2006 08:02 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Rafael's bypass wasn't bypassed (unless you're talking about a long time ago, when it was quickly re-released properly).

Recently, Microsoft has gotten Rafael to take it down. He's closed his anti-tgtsoft blog as well, but he's using extended64 again.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-26-2006 08:21 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: