What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Windows Installation

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Windows Installation
Author: Message:
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Windows Installation
quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
well it cant be done that way at all.
It can. I've done it. I've already stated that I've done it.
quote:
lol i dunno what the hell your trying to do but it won't work.
I'm trying to do it that way to have a simpler environment later. It will work.
quote:
ALL OF THE PROGRAMS WONT WORK !!! (properly)
YOU'RE LYING !!!
quote:
God just back up the files you need to different Hard Drive or partition and reinstall.
Thank you for making me God. I already have the files on different partitions. I've already stated that I have.
quote:
Its windows we're talking about it is impossible to do it EVEN if you could it would be half assed job which would be unstable.
It isn't impossible. I have a full ass and plan to sit on it stably.
quote:
:S windows installs in a folder called windows if tht folder exists then you cant do anything about.
That folder doesn't exist. I'll be formatting, and installing to, unpartitioned space.
quote:
Just back up your files and start from scratch that way you free up your PC it will be faster as well and you get rid of unwanted programs and files that have been left behind(like there always
Thank you for telling me do do what I've already stated that I will do.
quote:
TBH i think the way your doing or wanting to do it is bad for system and also stupid :-)
To be honest, you haven't explained yourself, which is stupid :).
quote:
No offense but i never ever done it that way and wouldnt advise anyone else to either lol.
No offence, bit I've done it this way, and I plan to do it this way.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-27-2006 11:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
joemailey

38 / Male / –
RE: Windows Installation
quote:
That folder doesn't exist. I'll be formatting, and installing to, unpartitioned space.

not once have you said that which i told you to do you

quote:
new Windows (which Setup thinks is the first and only) will have its home on C:\.

Which can't be done until your mess up the current install.(next part could be wrong) even then you will already have C:\ partition.

TRY Deleting the boot.ini. that tells windows were the start partition is. i can't remember if you delete it does it pick up the C:\ drive if it doesnt then you might be able to preform windows install in the un partitioned space.

simple method. remove your hard drive install windows on different one. put in old drive after new install.

quote:
I have a full ass and plan to sit on it stably.

ha yes because all your current programs will work fantatsically well with brand new O/S install.

all you do is back up downloaded files, saved files, favourites.

and format your partition that has windows on it. programs are simple to install.

your setup is the wrong way as i said i would never do. i dont think many others would either.

i sure if you ring microsoft and ask them they tell u to go back to sleep. and any other computer technician would say the same to you.

this will be my last post unless you have question worth answering.

P.S if i thot the way you want to do this was a good way i would have personnally done it my self every six months install of fresh format and reinstall. Plus you would here others all over the interent recomending it.
04-27-2006 11:37 AM
Adeptus

quote:
I already have unpartitioned space to format and install to.
If you want to install to a new partition and fools Windows into assigning it the C: drive letter and installing the boot loader there, you can accomplish that by temporarily changing the old partition's type, so that Windows completely ignores it. 

You can do that using Linux fdisk, which you should have handy given you were doing something with a LiveCD before.  Have it display your partition table ("p" if memory serves), make note of the current type (should be 07 or 87), "t" to change, set it to something non-Windows, such as Linux native (83).  Save ("w"? read help!) and exit.

When you are done installing your Windows, repeat the process and put the old partition's type back to what it was.  It will be assigned the next available drive letter on the following Windows startup.

Note that this assumes no other NTFS/FAT partititons will be visible to Windows setup.  If they are, your unpartitioned space will not become C: but some other drive letter.  You should hide other partitions the same way or, if they are on different physical hard drives, temporarily disconnect those drives.

The only downside to doing this is you are going to end up with drive letter assignments in an order different from the physical partitions on the disk.  This is not an issue in normal use, but can sometimes confuse Windows setup in a repair scenario, should you ever need to do that.

This post was edited on 04-27-2006 at 01:29 PM by Adeptus.
04-27-2006 01:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Windows Installation
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
I already have unpartitioned space to format and install to.
If you want to install to a new partition and fools Windows into assigning it the C: drive letter and installing the boot loader there, you can accomplish that by temporarily changing the old partition's type, so that Windows completely ignores it.
Yes, that's exactly what I want to do.

Do you know of a way to change the partition type from Windows. I'm booted into miniPE now (Windows XP).  I could go back into Ubuntu to do it, but I'd rather not.

Thanks for your help.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-28-2006 02:25 AM
Adeptus

It's not something that comes up a lot.  I've only ever needed to do it once and I used the classic Linux fdisk. 

I am quite certain Microsoft doesn't provide anything that could be used that way -- although, there might be some third party partitioning software that would work.  If you don't want to try it the Linux fdisk way, I am afraid you are on your own.

This post was edited on 04-28-2006 at 05:27 AM by Adeptus.
04-28-2006 05:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Windows Installation
OK, I'm in Ubuntu Live now.

I've opened the disk in fdisk.

p to print the partition table gives this:
code:
   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdd1            1139        6130    40098240    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hdd3   *        6131        9729    28908967+   7  HPFS/NTFS
Help says that t is to change a partition's system id.

I cant see 07, 87 or 83 anywhere.

What should I do next?

Update
Scratch that, I think I've figured it out.

Update
I've edited it, I'm going to try to install Windows now. Wish me luck.

This post was edited on 04-28-2006 at 06:29 AM by rav0.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

04-28-2006 06:22 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: