What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Plugins for MsgPlus! Live

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Plugins for MsgPlus! Live
Author: Message:
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: Plugins for MsgPlus! Live
quote:
Originally posted by J-Thread
What I've heard is this: The "new plugins" are made in a scripting language, and in that language you can make dll calls. So you can create your plugin in VB, and then make a script that calls the dll when needed... And that's called a wrapper;)

exactly :). Although most of the stuff you want to do can be easily done using Jscript itself so you won't need to use external .dlls in some circumstances :)
Segosa is newb.
05-01-2006 07:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Tobiaz

67 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Plugins for MsgPlus! Live
Cool, that's sounds relly great ;)
05-01-2006 10:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
Yeah it sounds really great.
I don't think you could develop a plugin with the scripting language, which is bad, you could only make some small funny things and that's it! You can't hook, can't use Win API's etc. It's very restricted as far as I've seen.
05-02-2006 02:34 PM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
It's very restricted as far as I've seen.
May I ask where you have seen? :undecided:

You are able to do just as much (or even more) with scripts than what you could do with plugins. You aren't "developing a plugin with the scripting language" as you said, you are just creating a script with the scripting engine.

This post was edited on 05-02-2006 at 03:57 PM by haydos.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

05-02-2006 03:54 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
What I mean with Plugin is a button, menu hook etc. A script isn't that powerful and it's not binary. Possibly you can't do MORE but you can do much, very easy (because MsgPlus! Live does serve it to you :P).

I've seen in MsgPlus! Live screenies
05-02-2006 04:09 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I don't think you could develop a plugin with the scripting language,
You can develop whatever you want. Though it is not compiled like a plugin (scripts are interpreted), They are equally powerfull as a plugin.
quote:
you could only make some small funny things and that's it!
That's far from true
quote:
You can't hook
You can
quote:
can't use Win API's
You can
quote:
It's very restricted as far as I've seen.
It is not restrictive at all.

;)

-----------

You can do a hell of a lot with the scripting engine. The only limit is your imagination. The same can be said with plugins.

The only difference is that with the scripting engine, compared to the plugin engine, more events, objects, controlling, etc can be done towards Messenger. That is, it is easier than before (as you could/can do all the same with plugins but it would require advanced programming)...

Plugins and scripts are nothing more and nothing less than programs. It isn't because they are called "plugins" or "scripts" that you can't do much. You program them in a fully fletched language. It is exactly like any other program; there are no limits.

Scripts and plugins are equally powerfull than any other program.

Also, you can never deduct from a screenshot what scripts or plugins are or aren't.... It would be like me staring at a picture of your eye and saying exactly what shoesize you have and what cloths you are wearing... :p

This post was edited on 05-02-2006 at 06:40 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-02-2006 06:23 PM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
Not true, windowhooks, button hooks, complicated ASM hooks, all not possibly from script. vikke is right about that.
I don't deny that scripts have a lot of power, as the APIs that Plus! provides are very very broad, but if those would have been provided to a Plugin system it might possibly be even broader.

And the only way in which Scripts would be able to match the power of Plugins is if you'd write an external DLL to do the dirty work, in which case it'd no longer be a script ;)
[Image: theblasp.png]
05-03-2006 01:37 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Plugins for MsgPlus! Live
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
Not true, windowhooks, button hooks, complicated ASM hooks, all not possibly from script. vikke is right about that.
Reading vikke's other comments I'm 100% sure he did not meant those kind of stuff, but the basic stuff which everybody did/does with plugins for all those years (thus this doesn't include programmers who use advanced stuff like TB).

If I'm wrong in that, than I'm sorry, the rest still stands though.

quote:
I don't deny that scripts have a lot of power, as the APIs that Plus! provides are very very broad, but if those would have been provided to a Plugin system it might possibly be even broader.

true, though this isn't about what the plugin system could have been (unfortunatly :p).

quote:
And the only way in which Scripts would be able to match the power of Plugins is if you'd write an external DLL to do the dirty work, in which case it'd no longer be a script ;)
From an very advanced programmers point of view, you're right. But remember that 99,99999% of all people are not advanced programmers like you. In that context and for those people, scripts are equally powerfull as plugins were/are and provide a whole lot of more messenger event driven "power".

---

Of course you can't write an OS in a scripting language. But that isn't the context here and what is questionned in this thread or asked for.

From a technical point of view, scripts (any language script) will never be able to provide the full power a compiled low level programming language can provide. But we're talking here about scripts/plugins like they are made by 99,999% of all people.

The OPs ask if they can do with scripts whatever they did with plugins before. And the answer to that is "yes and even more and/or easier".

If you would have asked that same question, I'm sure everybody would say: "no you can't; not as you want it"... :D

This post was edited on 05-03-2006 at 07:56 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-03-2006 07:48 AM
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Plugins for MsgPlus! Live
Scripting is powerful but programming is more powerful. Scripts may be easy, but they are restricted if you compare with C++, everything is possible in C++ :P. Patchou did it in C++.  I'm also quite sure that the scripting interface doesn't support Win32 apis, if it does it's powerful. Also, I mean Win32 apis not MsgPlusLive apis.:)

Sorry for being so pointless :-#
05-03-2006 01:45 PM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
quote:
Scripting is powerful but programming is more powerful. Scripts may be easy, but they are restricted if you compare with C++, everything is possible in C++ :P. Patchou did it in C++.  I'm also quite sure that the scripting interface doesn't support Win32 apis, if it does it's powerful. Also, I mean Win32 apis not MsgPlusLive apis.:)

Sorry for being so pointless :-#

It does provide an API to let you use most APIs 8-)
[Image: theblasp.png]
05-03-2006 01:54 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: