What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation »

Author: Message:
Nathair

O.P.
Hi there,

I was just about to start a translation of the current version of Messenger Plus! into Irish, but this strikes me as a bit silly, if version 4 is going to be coming out soon.

I know the beta version is not available yet, but how is it currently being translated?

Thanks,
Nathair
05-07-2006 10:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

Send an email to patchou: mplus-support@patchou.com, requesting to be part of the translating team for the Irish translation.
05-07-2006 10:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It is being translated like before, by the official translators who have access to certain beta versions.

Irish isn't an official language/translation for Plus!, so you have to wait until Plus!Live is released to start the translation.

The system of translating is exactly the same as before. Plus! Live will also contain language files in the form of 1 default English INI file and several translated INI files.

The topics and keys in the translation INI file are all different for Plus!Live, not much can be ported from Plus!3 to Plus!Live concearning the translation, everything needs to be done from scratch.

----------

Only real official languages are included and only those languages which have a big userbase. Other translations, like dialects (locally or not, officially or not), similar languages (eg: American vs. English), made-up languages (leet-talk), etc will not be included in the official setup package. Though, this doesn't mean they can not be created. And some will even be available for download on the official site, others can be downloaded from their respective thread on this forum.

If your language is a real existing and official reconized main language, then you can send Patchou a request as stated by traxor.

----------

To be able to make a decent and good translation, it is very adviseable to first read:
http://www.msgplus.net/help_language.php
and:
http://files.msgplus.net/data/TranslationGuidelines.doc

The main instructions, general suggestions, etc stated on the above page and in the above document are written for Plus!3, but logically also apply for Plus!Live.

This post was edited on 05-07-2006 at 10:40 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-07-2006 10:27 AM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
As Patchou adds more features to the beta version, translators are asked to translate some more sections in the translation file. I suggest you not to work with the current version of Plus (3.63) but wait until Plus Live 4 is released. The way Plus Live 4 is translated is the same as Plus 3 (ini files) so i don't think it worths it to translate plus 3. Also, all the sentences of Plus 3 have changed and you won't be able to use any of them.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
05-07-2006 10:31 AM
Nathair

O.P.
quote:
Only real official languages are included and only those languages which have a big userbase. Other translations, like dialects (locally or not, officially or not), similar languages (eg: American vs. English), made-up languages (leet-talk), etc will not be included in the official setup package. Though, this doesn't mean they can not be created. And some will even be available for download on the official site, others can be downloaded from their respective thread on this forum.

If your language is a real existing and official reconized main language, then you can send Patchou a request as stated by traxor.

Well, Irish is very much real and very much official. It's not a dialect of any other language, nor is it a variation of English. And of course, it isn't made-up.

So I think I will send Patchou a request. ;)
05-07-2006 01:07 PM
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Only real official languages are included and only those languages which have a big userbase.

Irish is an official language of the European Union.
05-07-2006 01:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Were did I say it isn't?

This post was edited on 05-07-2006 at 09:21 PM by CookieRevised.
05-07-2006 08:09 PM
Nathair

O.P.
I think he might just have been pointing out that it's a real, and an official language and not just some form of English.
05-07-2006 08:18 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nathair
I think he might just have been pointing out that it's a real, and an official language and not just some form of English.
I know, but I never said it wasn't. My post is made in general without being specific to Irish...

Your question is not so much about Irish in particular but more about making a translation in general (officially or not, that actually doesn't matter; that's only secondary).

Thus my reply is also meant for other people who have the very same question as you. But not all people will have Irish as their focus language.

If something can be said in general too to a certain subject it is best to make it in general so others can be helped too.

It is of no use to make a new thread or reply to everyone in an individual manner if you can help/advise people all in one go. It is better to answer a general question (as that is actually what it was) than having 500 threads all asking the very same thing but with a different language in mind.

Threads are also read by other people who have more or less the same question. So it is vital to always be as correct and above all as complete as possible.

Again, I never said Irish was or wasn't an official language...

;)

This post was edited on 05-18-2006 at 09:31 AM by CookieRevised.
05-07-2006 09:21 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Omar
Cookie doesnt care about Irish people... :P
I do care... in fact, I very much like traditional Irish music, and modern Irish music too (eg: Levellers). All I said were pointers to take in account when translating; I never said there shouldn't be an Irish translation, nor that Irish was a dialect or whatever else.

7 posts just to reply on something which isn't said.... spam
05-18-2006 09:33 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: