What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Network Advice

Network Advice
Author: Message:
rimmer

O.P. Network Advice
Hi Im trying to join two networks and would like some advice before i go out and buy new hardware.

The current scenario is that we have two networks both controlled by ADSL routers in neighbouring buildings.  As one network is only used a couple of nights a week the ADSL cost is high for the amount of use it gets. So we have permission to bridge the network with that of a neighbors.

By joining the two routers we have managed to share the internet access between the two buildings, however as the network providing the ADSL uses MAC filtering we can not just add PC's as we choose.

What I'd like to do (now tell me if this would work) is get a new router with a WAN port and use the WAN port as the point of connection between the two networks.  So the 1st network will only see our routers MAC address, and then all PC's on our network will have IP's assigned by our router.

It is not necessary for the PC's on the two networks to be able to talk to each other, we just need the ADSL signal to be able to reach our network.

Thanks in advance for any help and support .

This post was edited on 05-07-2006 at 01:02 PM by rimmer.
05-07-2006 11:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Network Advice
The WAN port is designed to allow a network to be a section of a larger network. In this case, it's what you want: connect the WAN of one router to one of the LANs of the Internet router, and go go go!
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-07-2006 04:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
rimmer

O.P. RE: Network Advice
Thanks raceprouk, I thought that would be the case. But didnt want to make a costly mistake, and find out I was wrong after I'd bought new hardware.

Cheers
05-07-2006 04:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: